20/20 In Touch story - Re: Breastfeeding!

deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm all for BF'ing for as long as you can.. BUT IMO I think this is a bit much.. Check this out and tell me what you think?

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6427971

~d
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think it's so bad really. The kid seems a bit immature for 6, so he probably still needs it.

BUT...I do think the woman is foolish for participating in this very public TV story. Women have lost their children from overzealous social workers imposing their own hang ups about breastfeeding. I'd hate to see their family destroyed because they agreed to do a lookey-loo breastfeeding story.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BUT...I do think the woman is foolish for participating in this very public TV story. Women have lost their children from overzealous social workers imposing their own hang ups about breastfeeding. I'd hate to see their family destroyed because they agreed to do a lookey-loo breastfeeding story.

I agree. I know of a woman who lost custody because she breastfed and co-slept with a 4 year old. :angry7:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I am not sure how I feel, part of me thinks it is extreme, and another part of me thinks it is sweet.

I had to draw the line at around 3 for my oldest, I was pregnant for the third time and was nursing my middle one. She will turn 5 in March and I know if I would let her she would still do it. I see videos like that and hear of other people still bf when their child is 5 and wonderif I did the right thing.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I agree with RedCatWaves. The kids seems like he needs it.
    I hate the sensational spin - "Extreme Breastfeeding"? Come on :roll: I think 6 is past MY own comfort zone, but it works for them.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I don't want to be a Judgey McJudgerson for what other mothers/families do. But for myself, breastfeeding at age 6 is a big hell to the no. I would consider breastfeeding my child up until age 1.5-2 maybe, but then I would be ready to stop.

Agree that it might not be the wisest thing to allow yourself on national TV with this story. That long of extended breastfeeding is not a widely accepted practice, and probably won't be well-received by many people.
    ehLB.jpg
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I know how much liquid my toddler consumes - seems like a good cost-cutting measure ;)

but seriously - not a big deal. I wouldn't do it mostly because I don't like breastfeeding. I don't really care what other people do with their boobs.
    hello.world.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Why can't I see the clip?

In any case, is this a little boy she's nursing? I would agree that this is probably not the wisest thing to do on national tv. There was that UK video a few years ago with an 8 year old girl nursing and I remember thinking then "what it that had been a boy, would it make a difference?".
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    what i don't understand about this is why it's on the news. if she is content nursing her children beyond toddler years, and respects that every nursing mother has her own comfort level about a cut-off time, why the need to go public about it? and why label others as 'closet nursers'? breastfeeding was intimate and private, to me. and the main thing that made it a private experience was simply that it involved me offering my breasts (my private body parts) to our babies/toddlers, something that no one else needed to see, wonder about, or get inappropriate thoughts about, no matter how functional or practical my breasts were designed to be.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Completely agree with RCW.

I don't see myself breastfeeding for that long, but who knows.
    webjockey wrote: »
    I know how much liquid my toddler consumes - seems like a good cost-cutting measure ;)

but seriously - not a big deal. I wouldn't do it mostly because I don't like breastfeeding. I don't really care what other people do with their boobs.

Me neither. I do it, but don't like it.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    kaia - losing custody for breastfeeding and sleeping with a 4-year-old? THAT'S extreme.

As to this article, what I think is that I'm tired of these sensational articles about extended breastfeeding. It's just another way to discredit breast feeding (I wouldn't be surprised if Nestle is behind them.) I think it's a scare tactic - "ladies, don't breast feed your babies - you might not be able to get them to stop at 6 or 8 or 10! And the kind of people who breast feed are kooky, crazy and perverted! Normal people bottlefeed!"
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    kaia - losing custody for breastfeeding and sleeping with a 4-year-old? THAT'S extreme.

As to this article, what I think is that I'm tired of these sensational articles about extended breastfeeding. It's just another way to discredit breast feeding (I wouldn't be surprised if Nestle is behind them.) I think it's a scare tactic - "ladies, don't breast feed your babies - you might not be able to get them to stop at 6 or 8 or 10! And the kind of people who breast feed are kooky, crazy and perverted! Normal people bottlefeed!"

I couldn't agree more. My grandmother nearly had a cow (she's 90) when I told her I was breastfeeding. I couldn't believe how long this entire anti-breastfeeding thing has been carried on. Every woman I have ever met who breastfeeds does not keep doing it until the child is 6. Everyone I know stops at 2 b/c children start asking questions, among many reasons.

I hate how they make it sound like it some kind of extreme sport... it's not like the moms are driving on a race track at 200 mph while breastfeeding. Western culture has everything half a$$ backward and upside down when it comes to women and that we give birth and when that happens we make milk... for a culture that claims to be inclusive and tolerating it sure seems to hate women who go with the flow... no pun intended.
  • natural2anatural2a Posts: 154Registered Users
    Lucky for me, both my little boys just up and quit one day - both were 15 months old when THEY cut ME off.
    baby-fine 2a wavy hair
    growing out my bangs and short layers

Current routine, every day:
    Mastey Traite shampoo
    Mastey Frehair conditioner
    pink Boots curl creme (TINY amount)
    Aura Lemongrass Mousse
    scrunch with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth
    diffuse
    air dry
    scrunch out the crunch
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    natural2a wrote: »
    Lucky for me, both my little boys just up and quit one day - both were 15 months old when THEY cut ME off.

I think most kids wean themselves. They just don't want to do it anymore. They want to be big, not babies. My kids each cut me off at around 16-18 months also. They replaced me with sippy cups. I felt it was undignified for me to chase after them offering a breast, so I just had to accept it. ;)
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I think most kids wean themselves. They just don't want to do it anymore. They want to be big, not babies. My kids each cut me off at around 16-18 months also. They replaced me with sippy cups. I felt it was undignified for me to chase after them offering a breast, so I just had to accept it. ;)

Yup. Harry stopped all on his own at 16 months. I would have gone longer, but it was all his doing. I'll follow the lead of baby #2 as well. I have no problem with what other people do with their breasts. It's none of my business. I do get tired of these sensational stories, though.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    fuzzbucket wrote: »

Yup. Harry stopped all on his own at 16 months. I would have gone longer, but it was all his doing. I'll follow the lead of baby #2 as well. I have no problem with what other people do with their breasts. It's none of my business. I do get tired of these sensational stories, though.

My middle one stopped all by herself, but my oldest will chase me around. She is better for now, but for a long time, any time she saw an opportunity she would try to take it.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    ruralcurls wrote: »
    fuzzbucket wrote: »

My middle one stopped all by herself, but my oldest will chase me around. She is better for now, but for a long time, any time she saw an opportunity she would try to take it.

DS also quit at around 16 months old. I did the don't refuse but don't offer approach. One day he didn't ask at all.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file