Do 2's actually need clumping?

TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
I read alot about clumping on the other boards, and sometimes I wonder. I cannot scrunch or even rake in product, so before I plop my hair is hanging in like 7 giant pieces (from being combed with a shower comb.) Then it dries like that. After it dries, it breaks up a bit, but I wouldn't mind having a lot of thinner waves...you know? But I frizz too much if I rake or scrunch at ALL.

What you you all think?
Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
CK & ReCoil--Activator
Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
For inquiring minds who want to know:
http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How are you getting your product in, if you don't mind me asking? lol, it's boggling my mind trying to think of not raking OR scrunching...

and have you tried diffusing? That's the best thing for breaking up clumps, for me. My hair naturally does like what you're saying... a handful of HUGE clumps instead of nice pretty curls.

And, btw... do you have any pics of your hair other than your avatar? Because honestly, from your avatar, I'd say you're more 3a than 2C
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MimsTX wrote: »
    How are you getting your product in, if you don't mind me asking? lol, it's boggling my mind trying to think of not raking OR scrunching...

and have you tried diffusing? That's the best thing for breaking up clumps, for me. My hair naturally does like what you're saying... a handful of HUGE clumps instead of nice pretty curls.

And, btw... do you have any pics of your hair other than your avatar? Because honestly, from your avatar, I'd say you're more 3a than 2C

I definitely agree.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    All right, that's it, I'm going to change my avatar. SOmeone else made the same comment the other day. That's my hair all right but it never looks like that in real life if that makes sense. My hair is WAVY.

I smooth in all my product (and there is a lot sometimes) and then I comb it thorough. If I scrunch at all my hair starts to frizz up immediately. Even raking--it just gets all messed up.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Oh, and forget diffusing. Disaster.

If it's cold, I can diffuse the underside a bit, but other than that forget it.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    lol, I figured there must be a reason why you call yourself a 2 despite the avatar, but my comment still stands: I'd REALLY like to see more pics :)

Do you smooth it in by sections? I'm just wondering if maybe you're not getting an even product distribution, and that's causing some of your frizz issues. *shrug* no idea, but it's possible.

And just as an FYI, when I'm scrunching/raking/diffusing, my hair sometimes does look a bit frizzy. Once it's dry, and I scrunch out the crunch though, it's perfectly fine. Not sure if the frizz you mentioned is when it's still wet or just after it's dry. Or both. lol
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Ok, here's some 2nd day hair going on. But see? They're waves!

I get some frizz when my hair is wet when I scrunch, so I get discouraged. Maybe I should just suck it up and see what happens when it dries...

PS--I can't post pics because I admittedly don't know how to resize the pics on my comp. in order to post the.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Hmm... ok, well, I can definitely see how those are more waves than curls.

but I DO maintain that I think you could get to 3A if we can just figure out a routine for you.

Definitely to muscle through it once, and see what it does. It might be just fine, never know unless you try. If it still frizzes, you might just need more gel/creme/whatever you're using.
    Sorry, but it still looks curlier than 2C waves to me, LOL

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wonder if it's your products or mild buildup since you say that you get frizz in the shower. Maybe do an ACV rinse. Or it could be that the RR or Recoil don't agree with your hair. The mag sulfate can cause frizz in some. I agree with the others that, if you scrunch after combing your products through when wet in the shower, then plop, your hair may spiral, since your wave pattern is so tight.

Check all your hair products for silicones - anything that ends in 'cone, 'conol, or 'xane. A cowash will NOT get silicones out. Silicone buildup causes frizziness, greasiness, and dryness.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I read alot about clumping on the other boards, and sometimes I wonder. I cannot scrunch or even rake in product, so before I plop my hair is hanging in like 7 giant pieces (from being combed with a shower comb.) Then it dries like that. After it dries, it breaks up a bit, but I wouldn't mind having a lot of thinner waves...you know? But I frizz too much if I rake or scrunch at ALL.

What you you all think?
    I'm the opposite, I can not RAKE stuff in or it pulls my curl out completely. I can use the Denman for CK only (go figure) I rake in my condish but all my products get scrunched in. Like Mims when it's still wet it looks a little frizzy but once it dries the frizz goes away. I have to diffuse though to mold the waves in place after air drying for about an hour. In the Summer I let it dry naturally longer but still hit it with the diffuser no matter what to set it.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • CurlyKatieCurlyKatie Posts: 82Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »

What you you all think?
    I'm the opposite, I can not RAKE stuff in or it pulls my curl out completely. I can use the Denman for CK only (go figure) I rake in my condish but all my products get scrunched in. Like Mims when it's still wet it looks a little frizzy but once it dries the frizz goes away. I have to diffuse though to mold the waves in place after air drying for about an hour. In the Summer I let it dry naturally longer but still hit it with the diffuser no matter what to set it.

Ditto on the wet frizz! I always get discouraged while my hair is drying because it looks like a stringy frizzy mess... but, once it's completely dry, it always amazes me how somehow it looks full and *for the most part... frizz free. :p

On a side note, I rake in my leave in, and rake if I'm using mousse, but scrunch if I'm going with gel or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink].
    2c/3a Fine and Thin
    CG Since 07/01/08
    My hair loves: KCCC!
    :love7: Nexxus Headress Weightless Leave In, HE TT, Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Long Wavy/Curly hair.
    My Hair Hates: MagSulf, Jessicurl, LOOB.

What you you all think?

I partially diffuse first then air dry. If I don't, I don't get nearly as good curl formation.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • INVUINVU Posts: 90Registered Users
    same here...
    Ok, I tried again. Combed in leave in, and then scrunched in 3 glops of curlbalm ie gel (it's in a red tube I got at ALTA, can't remember the name but I know it's 100% CG.) I was a bit worried about the frizz I was already getting but I plopped as usual and then took it down in 20 minutes.

So more curl but still some frizz...am I really not a wavy???
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Ok, I tried again. Combed in leave in, and then scrunched in 3 glops of curlbalm ie gel (it's in a red tube I got at ALTA, can't remember the name but I know it's 100% CG.) I was a bit worried about the frizz I was already getting but I plopped as usual and then took it down in 20 minutes.

I wonder if you need to clarify or DT? Have you tried to see if it makes a diff? Maybe you need a shot of Protein??
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    Well, as to if you're a wavy, I can't really see your picture that clearly but you look more like a 3A/2C to me than a 2C.

Furthermore I'd second trying a DT.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
    I really think you're more curly than wavie. lol, and hopefully that doesn't crush you :/ I know there are times when I long to be a wavie myself.

For the frizz... it could be the humidity in your area that's causing it (if there's high humidity, anyways. in which case, you might want to try CK/KY). Or your hair could just be dry (which would mean it's time for a DT). Or you could be using too little product (I always put a TON of crap in my hair, and it fights off frizz well. If I don't use enough, I'm a poof ball). OR the product you're using might just not be 'ideal' for your hair. It sounds like it's working ok, just might not be your HG.
    Well thanks for the very helpful advice you've all given me from this thread.

I unfortunately am one of those curlies that need a ton of product, even though I really would like to NOT have to do that. I've been putting in a lot of leave in, and a good amount of gel, too, and getting good results.

I took Del's advice, as usual, and washed my hair well with a shampoo that does the trick of clarifying (cocobetaine and 14-16 Olefin Sulfate) and then I did a DT. Loaded up with product, double plopped but scrunched in between, and I got a fantastic hair day!!

I think a lot of my confusion is coming from the fact that the front is more wavy and the back is more curly...especially as my hair gets longer the ends are becoming more and more curly.

Will post pics eventually but my camera died because I left in in my car for days during freezing temps.

Anyway, thank you all for your good advice!!!
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Well thanks for the very helpful advice you've all given me from this thread.

I unfortunately am one of those curlies that need a ton of product, even though I really would like to NOT have to do that. I've been putting in a lot of leave in, and a good amount of gel, too, and getting good results.

I took Del's advice, as usual, and washed my hair well with a shampoo that does the trick of clarifying (cocobetaine and 14-16 Olefin Sulfate) and then I did a DT. Loaded up with product, double plopped but scrunched in between, and I got a fantastic hair day!!

I think a lot of my confusion is coming from the fact that the front is more wavy and the back is more curly...especially as my hair gets longer the ends are becoming more and more curly.

Will post pics eventually but my camera died because I left in in my car for days during freezing temps.

Anyway, thank you all for your good advice!!!
    I guess I understand you ;) I am also one that needs a lot of product to get decent results. The only product I was able to go light on was [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] mixed with BRHG. That combo with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] gave me 2 solid days. FINALLY!
    Discovered CG 2007

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I'm way late to this clumping party but I clump way too much for my own liking. I prefer my hair when it clumps less. Like mims, diffusing seems to help it clump less.

I have to apply product sopping wet - no water scrunched out whatsoever in order to avoid the frizz you mentioned happens when you rake or scrunch. I can scrunch as long as I hear squish then I have to stop or apply more product/water.

As for diffusing, I pixiecurl or Hot Sock but only if I've let me hair dry a bit and only dry to 50%. Except the odd experiment with other methods which generally are not for public consumption. :laughing6:

BTW .. I can see why others are pestering you about your hair type. I go back and forth about whether I consider myself a wavy or curly. Others on here convinced me I'm more a curly.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm late to the convo too. :D

I too have to put in my product while sopping wet. Even after my first plop, if my hair isn't still squishy when I stick in my FOTE and BRHG, I'm frizzy for sure. :D

I personally need a fair amount of clumping. I struggle with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], KBB nectar, milk, or Silky in my wet hair because it makes it too stringy/not clumpy. My hair feels great, but it doesn't help me clump the way other stuff does. :/

I DO have one bit of hair on one side that over clumps, I know it, and I peel it apart from the scalp down. :D

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
    This thread has been good to me in terms of tweaking my method. My hair takes FOREVER to dry in part because I use a lot of conditioner and product. So, I used to comb and twist out all the excess water before applying product, and I think that was giving me my problem.

So, now I wait 30 seconds after turning off the water to let my hair drip for a bit. Then I put in my LI, comb it through, and it sets my hair enough so I can gently rake in my product and then flip my hair over and scrunch out the excess water/product. Then I take 1 tshirt, scrunch each section of my hair with a dry piece, and then I plop w/a new t-shirt for awhile.

I still get a little frizz, I probably always will, but it's negligable. I get much better wave/curl formation and not that giant clumping thing.

BTW, I STILL think I'm wavy...except for the ends of my hair that are starting to curl.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator

The red tube sounds like it may be Alagio Crazy Curl Enhancing Balm. If so, glycerine is very high on the ingredient list, which you may not want/need in the winter. Don't know how that might affect your frizz. I personally can't use it in the winter but sometimes it works well for me in the summer time even though my hair often doesn't like too much glycerine.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    I've seen your fotki Tilly-munch-alot and your hair is getting curlier! You've got some kind of 3 I can't tell which one though your hair is a mystery!! :laughing6: but it's still GORGEOUS ;)
    Discovered CG 2007

I've seen your fotki Tilly-munch-alot and your hair is getting curlier! You've got some kind of 3 I can't tell which one though your hair is a mystery!! :laughing6: but it's still GORGEOUS ;)

dude, no joke. Looking through your fotki, it's like you have 2C in the front, 2C/3A on the canopy in back with 3B underneath and even on the ends in places. o.O

SUCH a strange combination but it works together beautifully!
    MimsTX wrote: »

dude, no joke. Looking through your fotki, it's like you have 2C in the front, 2C/3A on the canopy in back with 3B underneath and even on the ends in places. o.O

SUCH a strange combination but it works together beautifully!
    :laughing3:

it's a strange phenomena indeed, the longer it gets the more diff 3's start popping out all over the place!!!
    Discovered CG 2007

Wow, Mims & Del, thank you so much! That is so nice of both of you, you both made my day!

Well maybe...I'm starting to see that maybe I'm a wee bit curly in certain areas, but underneath it all I'm basically a wavy.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    The ends are curly enough that I bet without the weight of its current length, it'd be pretty curly all over.

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file