What to do when you're sick, and baby is well.

SimbathekatSimbathekat Posts: 140Registered Users
What do you gals do when you get a cold around your babies - so you don't pass it on to them?

So far, I've been covering up my face with surgical masks and drinking tea/orange juice/chicken broth. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I just go about my day as normal. I figure that with constant contact and BFing, my baby has already been exposed even before I knew I was sick.

Its only ever happened once, and baby didn't get sick.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I just go about my day as normal. I figure that with constant contact and BFing, my baby has already been exposed even before I knew I was sick.
    Hope you feel better soon!

Same goes for me, too. It is all part of being a family. We pass our colds around and other sicknesses as well. I don't mean to be cold hearted, but if they get it, they get it.

But if the baby is very young, I would at least try to be careful about breathing on her, but I always bf, so there was always fairly close contact even if I was sick.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's me right now. Even though DS is not a baby but a 3 year old. I'm feeling pretty crummy and he's active as usual:D.
    Frequent handwashing is one of the best ways to avoid spreading germs but like someone else stated chances are that you were contagious even before you developed any cold symptoms so it's hard to keep from passing it on.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Yep, I never went as far as to wear a mask and never did anything special either. I also figure from BFing he has already gotten exposed by the time I feel sick. I think it builds their immune system to be exposed to some germs. If you nurse, frequent nursing gives them antibodies that helps them fight colds.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't do anything either. I figure we share our germs no matter what I do. So far though, he always gets sick first, then gives it to me. :cwm10:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Frequent nursing and frequent handwashing... other than that nothing else special.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I have had one cold and my husband has had two of them around our daughter. Neither of us did anything special. We just made sure to not cough on her and frequently wash our hands. We got over it and she didn't get sick.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    FieryCurls wrote: »
    We just made sure to not cough on her and frequently wash our hands.

I wish I could get my 3 year old germball to learn this one. He is forever sneezing and coughing on his baby sister. Thankfully she's never been sick despite the fact that her brother brings home at least one cold every month from preschool.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    FieryCurls wrote: »
    We just made sure to not cough on her and frequently wash our hands.

I wish I could get my 3 year old germball to learn this one. He is forever sneezing and coughing on his baby sister. Thankfully she's never been sick despite the fact that her brother brings home at least one cold every month from preschool.

This isn't easy for me. I don't intentionally cough on her, but I don't really cover my mouth when I am at home. I figure that my husband and I are more than likely going to get whatever one another has, so I don't really think about it in the comfort of my home. However, I don't really want to deal with a sick kid.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't worry about it much either because I know she's getting antibodies in my milk. I'm not sure what I would do if we weren't breastfeeding.

Even when she's gotten sick, so far it's been nothing but coughs and runny noses even when I felt much worse than that.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I don't worry about it much either because I know she's getting antibodies in my milk. I'm not sure what I would do if we weren't breastfeeding.

Even when she's gotten sick, so far it's been nothing but coughs and runny noses even when I felt much worse than that.

Yes, the same thing has happened for my younger son. The rest of us have had a wicked cold this past week, and he barely got a runny nose and coughed maybe once or twice. I think it's weird that he can get antibodies in the milk, so I must have those antibodies in my system, but I still get sick?
    ehLB.jpg
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sarah42 wrote: »

Yes, the same thing has happened for my younger son. The rest of us have had a wicked cold this past week, and he barely got a runny nose and coughed maybe once or twice. I think it's weird that he can get antibodies in the milk, so I must have those antibodies in my system, but I still get sick?

Yeah, I've wondered about the same thing. Maybe it has to do with the fact that their bodies don't have to spend time and energy making the antibodies, so they get a head start...?
  • SimbathekatSimbathekat Posts: 140Registered Users
    So in other words - I'm over doing things here. I also bottle feed, therefore, DD doesn't get antibodies from me.

Also, there's a wicked case of viral croup going around at her home daycare (4 out of 7 children are out sick with it) so I wanted to be extra careful with my germs too.

Oh well. Maybe I'll stop sleeping with the surgical mask on and only wear it when I feed her. ;-)
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    :lol:
    Unless hubby likes it...

;)
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

So in other words - I'm over doing things here. I also bottle feed, therefore, DD doesn't get antibodies from me.

Also, there's a wicked case of viral croup going around at her home daycare (4 out of 7 children are out sick with it) so I wanted to be extra careful with my germs too.

Oh well. Maybe I'll stop sleeping with the surgical mask on and only wear it when I feed her. ;-)

It's okay. I should have asked how old is your baby? Newborn or just a few months I can certainly see the concern, but sounds like since your baby is around other kids, she is picking up their germs. You need to be worried about her breathing on you. ;-)

I worked at several daycares and preschools, no matter how hard we tried, we just couldn't keep up with things. One child with a runny nose puts something in her mouth, another child walks up and grabs it, puts it in his mouth... you probably get the idea.

Sorry to hear about the croup, that's a shame. Hope dd stays healthy.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    pretty much what everyone has said so far. I mean, we sleep together, eat together and baby is strapped to me for a good part of the day. By the time I'm visibly sick I've been incubating that illness for a while. When Ryan was a newborn Ian picked up a stomach bug at the hospital while visiting me so we came home with a puking toddler and a newborn. Hubby actually wondered for a moment if we should assign boobs (I was tandeming) and/or clean my nipples between sessions LOL. I told him that it was too late, he'd been nursing for the days prior and if Ryan was going to get it he was already exposed. Ryan never got it.

Yesterday Ryan had a stomach bug and was puking and I'm also nursing Nina. Same thing, she hasn't gotten sick with his illness. I think babies have a better defense with the antibodies because their entire diet is breastmilk so they're not just getting a few doses of antibodies a day, they are eating it all day long.

Simba if your baby is a bit older a bit of ginger tea (fresh ginger root) should help her immunity a ton. I make an herbal wellness tea for the boys and I grate a bit of ginger root in there (I keep it peeled in the freezer) with the microplane and infuse it with the herbs. Sweeten with a splash of juice and if they're sick like yesterday I add a drop or two of high dose vitamin D liquid.
    Jonna is only three months and I'm actually considering "relactation" to help build her immune system (and to cut out costs of $30 per 16oz. can of formula).
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Jonna is only three months and I'm actually considering "relactation" to help build her immune system (and to cut out costs of $30 per 16oz. can of formula).

Did you breastfeed her in the beginning? I hope a lactation consultant or La Leche League can help you with relactation so you can at least partially breastfeed.

I'll be honest, cost is a big reason why I'm breastfeeding, and health reasons. It's become less of a bonding experience with him being so distractable--that is more frustrating to me than his newborn days or getting over thrush.
    ehLB.jpg
    That is pretty young. I didn't mean to make light of your concern. My youngest was around 3 months when my other two had pretty bad colds. I just ran around yelling Don't breath on the baby. It didn't work. ;-)

If you do decide to relactate, good luck. I had no idea formula is so expensive. :binky:
    By the way, I love your daughter's name.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I carry on with life as usual. If he doesn't get it from me, he'll get something from the other kids at daycare.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Mine had a stommch virus last week. He got over it, but 2 days ago, my husband and I got it. We were laying around throwing up and in the bathroom all night and day, adn my mom was out of town. I begged my friend to come get him for a few hours until my mom got home. Then he spent the night with his grandma for a night. I didn't want him to get it again, & give it back to us and so on.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    Well how's this for a weird outcome? Instead of me just having a cold ... I actually had pneumonia. I was hospitalized over the past few days after realizing my cold didn't feel like such anymore. I went to the emergency room thinking they'd say I had bronchitis and whaddayaknow.

My child was bombarded with children dropping like flies from viral croup, and her mama breathing and coughing around her (although masked up) with pneumonia. All she's done so far is sneezed!
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Well how's this for a weird outcome? Instead of me just having a cold ... I actually had pneumonia. I was hospitalized over the past few days after realizing my cold didn't feel like such anymore. I went to the emergency room thinking they'd say I had bronchitis and whaddayaknow.

I'm so sorry! I hope you're feeling better now, and I'm glad your baby girl didn't get sick.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

My child was bombarded with children dropping like flies from viral croup, and her mama breathing and coughing around her (although masked up) with pneumonia. All she's done so far is sneezed!

I am so sorry you were hospitalized!! I hope you are feeling a little better, it can take a little while to recover from pneumonia, and having such a young baby doesn't "help" things. icon12.gif
    Thanks ladies! Luckily, my mom decided to take Jonna for four days while I recover.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file