Obama Plays It Cool

curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
Did anyone else see this? I loved it when I saw it on Saturday. Fred Armisen was a good choice for Obama.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi1352336153/
CG since 6/15/08!
Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/

Comments

• wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    It's cute.
    I'll probably get flamed for saying this but I'm not feeling Fred Armisen. He's ok. Something about him playing in "brown face" bothers me. I am sure there are plenty of AA or biracial actors that could play Obama.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    It's cute.
    I'll probably get flamed for saying this but I'm not feeling Fred Armisen. He's ok. Something about him playing in "brown face" bothers me. I am sure there are plenty of AA or biracial actors that could play Obama.

I don't really like him either, but I have to admit without looking at him, he does a really good vocal impersonation of Obama.

ETA: Just saw the clip. Hee! I like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i don't understand why was it wrong for fred to play him?
    i think he did a pretty good job. heck, i thought he was a black actor until i googled him.
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    frau wrote: »
    i don't understand why was it wrong for fred to play him?
    i think he did a pretty good job. heck, i thought he was a black actor until i googled him.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who did this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
    He does a fine job. It's nothing against him personally actually.

I just think that Hollywood doesn't hire enough actors of color as it is. And SNL is woefully lacking in diversity. It's not as noticible with him but when they had another white actor playing Michelle Obama, it was a real stretch.

Come-on, they can find good AA actors.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's not as noticible with him but when they had another white actor playing Michelle Obama, it was a real stretch.

Who? The only person I've seen play her is Maya Rudolph and she is black/white.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    He does a fine job. It's nothing against him personally actually.

I just think that Hollywood doesn't hire enough actors of color as it is. And SNL is woefully lacking in diversity. It's not as noticible with him but when they had another white actor playing Michelle Obama, it was a real stretch.

Come-on, they can find good AA actors.

i totally agree that SNL is lacking in diversity. (and to me, keenan whatshisname isn't helping the cause; i don't find him funny at all.)

but for what it's worth, fred armison isn't white--he's hapa/latino. his dad is japanese and german i believe and his mom is venezuelan.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    See I thought that Fred was the perfect person because he isn't black nor is he white. How perfect!
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    He does a great job with Obama's mannerisms. He is excellent for the role. I agree there needs to be more divesity on SNL, as well as other shows...but given what they got, he does a great job. He cracks me up!
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    Trenell wrote: »
    It's not as noticible with him but when they had another white actor playing Michelle Obama, it was a real stretch.

Who? The only person I've seen play her is Maya Rudolph and she is black/white.

my bad. I stand corrected.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

Boomygrrl wrote: »
    He does a great job with Obama's mannerisms. He is excellent for the role. I agree there needs to be more divesity on SNL, as well as other shows...but given what they got, he does a great job. He cracks me up!

Yes, he has him down pat. Hopefully Kenan will leave soon and they will think about a more diverse cast.

At any rate, I didn't mean to hijack this thread... sorry ...carry on.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i just want to add that i never knew the actress who played michelle obama was mixed until last month.i just thought she was talented as hell. she knew how to immitate black women like no other. i was really amazed. since learning she is mixed, i'm was kinda of let down.
    i just want to add that i never knew the actress who played michelle obama was mixed until last month.i just thought she was talented as hell. she knew how to immitate black women like no other. i was really amazed. since learning she is mixed, i'm was kinda of let down.

so funny--i always assumed that she was black, even before i knew that her mom was minnie ripperton--that's where she gets her singing chops.
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    No offense to Fred, I think he does a great job, but I really wish SNL would hire this guy for the role.
    Eres o te haces?
    legends wrote: »
    No offense to Fred, I think he does a great job, but I really wish SNL would hire this guy for the role.

he's good! (looks like him, too.) love the TI music video spoof.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users

Why?

I'm really surprised you couldn't tell she was mixed. I was always intrigued by her looks and googled her. She's Minnie Ripperton's daughter. Remember that song from the 70's, "Loving You?" Maya can sing too.

I agree with you, though, Maya Rudolph is very talented.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users

so funny--i always assumed that she was black, even before i knew that her mom was minnie ripperton--that's where she gets her singing chops.

Well, I guess I should have read the rest of the responses before I posted. :lol: Great minds and all that.
    medussa wrote: »

Well, I guess I should have read the rest of the responses before I posted. :lol: Great minds and all that.

:wink:
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Didn't Maya always play a white designer on SNL? And I agree, SNL needs a funnier and more diverse cast. I don't like the lady who plays the character who is always one upping everybody.

At least Mad TV has a more diverse cast.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Windflower wrote: »
    Didn't Maya always play a white designer on SNL?.

Donatella Versache.

I love Maya. She has played everything under the rainbow. From Mariah, to Michelle to a mean arse postal worker
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Trenell wrote: »
    Windflower wrote: »
    Didn't Maya always play a white designer on SNL?.

Donatella Versache.

I love Maya. She has played everything under the rainbow. From Mariah, to Michelle to a mean arse postal worker

I like her too! I have Minnie R's album with "Loving You" on it. I need a record player...
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like Keegan Michael Key of Mad TV

Barack Obama and John McCain
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file