Milk spitting is pi$$ing me OFF!

shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
So, my dear sweet 18 month old son has began this thing where he takes a drink of his milk from his sippy cup and then opens his mouth and lets it run all over him onto the floor. At first, I was all, "Oh look- he is experimenting. Cute." Now, I am OVER it. He spits it ontot the florr and then splish splashes in it. until someone sees him. Today, I made him clean it up himself with a paper towel. I doubt that is gonna help the problem though b/c he LIKED cleaning it up... When I saw the 2nd puddle, I asked him ,"Do you do that?!" He shook his head and said, "No." I want to smile & laugh b/c he is so dang cute, but I want the milk spitting to STOP. only milk- never his water or juice...
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    My daughter does that, too, sometimes but with all her beverages. It's annoying. I make her clean it up but it hasn't stopped her, unfortunately.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    DS went through this phase. If he did it in the car, I immediately took away his sippy cup. At home, I started only letting him drink milk while at the table, and water while "on the go" If he did it while at the table, he got one warning before I took it away.

He seems to have grown out of that phase. Now, if only I could get him to stop blowing bubbles in everything he drinks.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    my issue with the sippy cup is when my son runs around the apartment with it.. he holds it upside down.. I know he doesn't understand but it is so annoying!

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I would do what curly_keltie suggested. If you spit, you don't get to drink any more milk.

As for running around with the sippy upside down, in my experience, until a kid actually gets to use an open regular cup, the have no idea about how to hold one the right way. I think Liam is old enough to get a little plastic tumbler with a little bit of water in it while he is at the table. It's good practice.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    We let River drink out of a littel plastic tumbler with water in it at the table. He LOVES it! The only problem is that he is so excited to use it, he will sit there and drink like a gallon of water at a time! Water bottles too. he loves to drink out of them so much, when he gets ahold of one, he sits and drinks the entire thing.

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Chas did this forever. I would just take the milk away from him. It helped some...but not always. Just something they grow out of eventually.

Chas gets to have milk in a regular cup at the table...anything else is in a sippy cup with a stopper in it to keep it from leaking.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Now, if only I could get him to stop blowing bubbles in everything he drinks.

That's wrong? ;)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kids make a mess. They just do. You can try to stop it as best you can, but it's rather like shoveling the ocean against the tide. At least with toddlers, you can usually see them making messes, because, theoretically, they should be watched all the time. As they get older, they get better at hiding their messes from you...for a while. Nobody spits milk at my house anymore (not that I know of anyway), but I got stuck to the floor in my kitchen the other day. Stuck. Couldn't move. It was like an old episode of The Little Rascals. Who spilled sticky stuff and didn't wipe it up? I don't know. I asked all of them, and all I got in response was "not me". Not-me is a popular guy here. He takes the rap for most things.

They break your stuff too. Not a day goes by that something doesn't get broken in my house. Who broke the toilet seat? Not-me. Who ripped the curtains? Not-me. Who scratched the coffee table? Not-me.

When my kids finish growing up and move out...I'm buying a new house and all new stuff.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    majerle has a new habit of dumping over her plate/bowl. its all my dad's fault. he lets her do it at their house and smiles lovingly as watches her do it.
    whenever i catch her doing it, i tell her in my best mean mommy voice that its unacceptable and we dont do that. i have a 50/50 chance of that working. if the odds are against me that day and she starts dumping her plate again, i tell her no, take it away from her and send her on her way.

so far, thats working. now she only dumps her plate when granddad is there to cheer her on.
    Dogs lick up spilled milk and dumped food. If you don't already have one, you might want to consider getting one. Sitting under the highchair and eating all the fallout is the only useful thing my dog ever really did.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    LOL redcatwaves. Yeah around here if you start playing with your food and drink that means you aren't hungry. End of story. Shelli you did well in having him clean up the mess. That's what happens when you grow up, anyone makes a mess they clean it up. It's not a mean thing to teach them. It's a good skill and you don't have to be mean to just matter of fact say, "oops, you made a mess here's a rag let's clean it up" but then go on to say, "looks like you're not thirsty" and remove the cup. After a few half dozen times they usually will realize they get the cup for drinking. Bored toddlers play with food and drink, it really does mean they don't want it then.

I also agree with geeky, a little open cup and believe me the novelty of the cup wears off after a few months. Mine too did the whole drinking gallons of water because of the new cup. I recycle little jelly jars for their cups and even though they're glass we haven't *knock on wood* broken any. When they're smaller a good idea is a small shot glass so if the water spills it's not a ton.

One thing though, the persistence of children is a wonderful thing. It's what keeps them getting up from the floor when they're learning to walk, it's what keeps them writing letters when they're learning to write. Know that it goes both ways and when you're teaching a skill, you will repeat yourself for what may seem like forever just know that when the kid is ready, they will learn. And in the meantime, you teach, you teach, you teach.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Kids make a mess. They just do. You can try to stop it as best you can, but it's rather like shoveling the ocean against the tide. At least with toddlers, you can usually see them making messes, because, theoretically, they should be watched all the time. As they get older, they get better at hiding their messes from you...for a while. Nobody spits milk at my house anymore (not that I know of anyway), but I got stuck to the floor in my kitchen the other day. Stuck. Couldn't move. It was like an old episode of The Little Rascals. Who spilled sticky stuff and didn't wipe it up? I don't know. I asked all of them, and all I got in response was "not me". Not-me is a popular guy here. He takes the rap for most things.

They break your stuff too. Not a day goes by that something doesn't get broken in my house. Who broke the toilet seat? Not-me. Who ripped the curtains? Not-me. Who scratched the coffee table? Not-me.

When my kids finish growing up and move out...I'm buying a new house and all new stuff.

Me, too. If I make it that long. (see my losing it post in non-hair)

Also totally agree with your dog post.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Dogs lick up spilled milk and dumped food. If you don't already have one, you might want to consider getting one. Sitting under the highchair and eating all the fallout is the only useful thing my dog ever really did.

Yeah, baby mealtime at our house involves three dogs laying around the highchair waiting to be fed Cherios or whatever else he's got. :roll:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator

Who is going to pay for it?
    Not-me. :laughing9:

Sounds like he lives at my house, too!
    Our dogs love meal times. They circle like sharks. We have had to start putting them in a different room though b/c my kid's #1 fav. thing to do is share his food with his "Gogs"(dogs). My mom's dog had surgery after getting ran over. He is usually an outside dog but is recovering in her kitchen at the moment. River was at her house and she went to the bathroom and then couldn't find him. He was sitting on the floor by the dog bed with the dog's head in his lap feeding him Animal Cookies. He is so sweet. He also took the doggie some stuffed animals to sleep with. He is such a sweetheart!

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    shellibean wrote: »
    He was sitting on the floor by the dog bed with the dog's head in his lap feeding him Animal Cookies. He is so sweet. He also took the doggie some stuffed animals to sleep with. He is such a sweetheart!

Awww!!! He can come over to my place and dump milk on the floor any day :love7:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    He was sitting on the floor by the dog bed with the dog's head in his lap feeding him Animal Cookies. He is so sweet. He also took the doggie some stuffed animals to sleep with. He is such a sweetheart!

Awww!!! He can come over to my place and dump milk on the floor any day :love7:

Mine too. He's so cute. I know it's hard to see it when one is in the thick of toddlerhood, but these-are-the-good-old-days.
    :D I know! He is adorable huh?! ;) You should see him in his new Superman PJs with velcro on Cape! Toooooooooooo cute! He was running around "Moo"-ing like a cow this morning! Heehee!

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Our dogs love meal times. They circle like sharks. We have had to start putting them in a different room though b/c my kid's #1 fav. thing to do is share his food with his "Gogs"(dogs). My mom's dog had surgery after getting ran over. He is usually an outside dog but is recovering in her kitchen at the moment. River was at her house and she went to the bathroom and then couldn't find him. He was sitting on the floor by the dog bed with the dog's head in his lap feeding him Animal Cookies. He is so sweet. He also took the doggie some stuffed animals to sleep with. He is such a sweetheart!

Too cute! Dylan was laying with the dog the other day ripping off pieces of paper towel and feeding them to the dog. He feeds them Cherios too. :roll:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file