70 year old woman gives birth

nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
"Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
Password: orphanannie

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    My only gut concern would be, as they said in the article, the chance that a child with such elderly parents could be orphaned at a young age. However... couldn't the same be said of a child whose mother/parents had a horrible disease like cancer or AIDS?

Of course it's a little strange, but this is obviously a person who really really wanted to have a child, and I say congratulations to her.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    That was my gut reaction, too. Then again, she could live well into her 90s. You never know.

I know how hard it was for me to get pregnant, and I can't imagine living with that pain for 50 years. I hope she and her husband live for a really long time and get to see their baby grow up.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sure, a young mother could die of cancer or whatever, but the chances are MUCH greater that a 20/30/40 year old woman will live to see her children grown and independent than a 70 year old woman. I don't think it's fair to bring a child into the world when the risks are so great that she will be orphaned before she is an adult. I hope the woman and her husband line up some reliable guardians for that little girl.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Sure, a young mother could die of cancer or whatever, but the chances are MUCH greater that a 20/30/40 year old woman will live to see her children grown and independent than a 70 year old woman. I don't think it's fair to bring a child into the world when the risks are so great that she will be orphaned before she is an adult. I hope the woman and her husband line up some reliable guardians for that little girl.
    ITA
    The doctor who treated Devi said he didn't expect any medical problems for the elderly woman and her child, except for the likelihood that the child could be orphaned at an early age because of her parents' old age, the newspaper reported.
    nuff said...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

I see what you mean - in my post I didn't mean just the chance that a younger woman could get cancer and die, I meant more like a younger woman who already had cancer or AIDS wanting to have a baby.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PixieCurl wrote: »

I see what you mean - in my post I didn't mean just the chance that a younger woman could get cancer and die, I meant more like a younger woman who already had cancer or AIDS wanting to have a baby.

I think that's selfish and unfair too. A potential mother needs to think about more than just her own self. Kids need mothers til they are grown up. Losing a father while still a child is devastating, but losing a mother is even worse.
    I get what you're saying, and can't say I disagree. But, as someone who got pregnant on my second month "trying" (and I use the term loosely because I wasn't charting or temping or anything, just having lots of sex with no BC), I can only imagine what it must feel like to really really want to have a baby but be faced with challenges like these.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Very true PC. I think about that as well b/c I was very fortunate that things worked out how I expected...50 years is a long time!
    I just wonder when a line should be drawn :dunno:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users

I think I agree with this.

I don't even know how a 70-year-old can have a baby. She would obviously be post-menopausal. In addition to the IVF, would she have to have hormone treatments or something to carry the baby?
    ehLB.jpg
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    sarah42 wrote: »

I think I agree with this.

I don't even know how a 70-year-old can have a baby. She would obviously be post-menopausal. In addition to the IVF, would she have to have hormone treatments or something to carry the baby?

It cannot be good for the human body to push the envelope that much.

Pixie, I see what you are saying and I also know I have been blessed, but I agree with RCW... having a child isn't just about whether the parents WANT one (regardless of age, fertility status, health etc.) but about what is best for that child and how best to give them a good life. I know most parents do the best they can and there are no guarantees in life and even people who look good on paper can screw up, and this child might be just fine and the parents live well into their 90s, but I do find it disturbing that having a child is more and more viewed as a right, for anyone, any time, regardless of what serves the child's needs.

In this case, the woman had been trying for 50 years so we can have some sympathy for that, but if she was able to have a child at 70, what is to stop another 70 year old who has had children, but always wanted another, or wants to try for another gender, or is in another relationship and wants a child with the new man, or never wanted children and then changed her mind, from having one? And what's to stop an 80 or 90 year old from doing the same? At some point, a line has to be drawn.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I didn't even need to open the article to know that this was a story from India.

The medical industry exploits poor, ignorant people who are blinded by traditional views about childbearing (you aren't really a woman, your marriage isn't really a marriage unless you have children).

This woman might live a long life, but the odds are stacked against her. And its quite likely that she and her husband have spent their life savings on the IVF.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file