What can you tell me about whey protein?

amerasiancurlsamerasiancurls Posts: 168Registered Users
My DH is wanting to use something to help him on his weight loss journey and to help him bulk up his existing muscles while weight training. Neither of us has any knowledge about creatine (although from what I've read, I don't think we're going that way), whey protein, and all of those other things that overwhelm you when you walk into GNC. So.....for those of you who are familiar w/this product or any others please share what you know (good and bad)! TIA!

Comments

• CurlEEEECurlEEEE Posts: 308Registered Users
    I use whey protein. It is great in shakes, mixed with oatmeal or cottage cheese. It will create more muscle which burns fat. Therefore your fat % should drop if you eat more protein and exercise. The key is exercise too
    3A/3B (not really sure)/No Shampoo/Conditioner Only/Honey/Aussie Volumizer+condish/Biolage Gel/Plop/Diffuse/Spritz of Bed Head Maxxed Out
    Password: CurlEEEE
  • amerasiancurlsamerasiancurls Posts: 168Registered Users
    Thanks for your response! He is definitely an exerciser. He goes with a couple of his buddies almost every night of the week. One of his friends is taking the creatine and is much bigger than what he used to be. DH says he doesn't want to take anything to help 'bulk' him up, but the other day we were at the mall and he walked into GNC. When I went to get him, I found him browsing around all the 'muscle building' supplements. I told him that if he seriously wants to take something, then maybe whey protein would be the way to go......but to make sure he does his research. I remember someone on here saying that instead of soy protein, they took whey (Cherish....I think it was?). At any rate, thanks for the information!
  • amerasiancurlsamerasiancurls Posts: 168Registered Users
    Thanks for your response! He is definitely an exerciser. He goes with a couple of his buddies almost every night of the week. One of his friends is taking the creatine and is much bigger than what he used to be. DH says he doesn't want to take anything to help 'bulk' him up, but the other day we were at the mall and he walked into GNC. When I went to get him, I found him browsing around all the 'muscle building' supplements. I told him that if he seriously wants to take something, then maybe whey protein would be the way to go......but to make sure he does his research. I remember someone on here saying that instead of soy protein, they took whey (Cherish....I think it was?). At any rate, thanks for the information!
  • AngelaVAAngelaVA Posts: 10Registered Users
    When you lift weights, your body loses the glucose in the muscles. So, right after you lift, you need to eat protein and sugar (no fat, no carbs) to put back the glucose you lost. DH and I lift weights 3 times a week. DH eats whey protein isolate (in powder form) and dextrose. The dextrose (the sugar part of our mix) is sweet and makes the protein powder taste better. He also supplements the protein powder with Creatine after he exercises. It's not necessary, but will help him bulk up and there is nothing wrong with using it, it's not a steriod or anything like that. So basically, after exercising, eat protein, sugar (grape juice or dates will work too) and creatine (if you want it). Add stevia to make it sweeter. That's what I do. For other meals during the day, we eat a meal replacement powder or protein bars.

After you do cardio, you need wait about an hour to eat. This gives your body time to burn off fat. Also, doing cardio first thing in the morning ramps up your metabolism for the rest of the day (this is the only reason I get out of bed so early, lol). Then when you eat an hour later, eat the same thing as you did after you lift weights.

Try Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein for the whey protein. We get ours from Nutrition Discounters - much cheaper than GNC since we buy large amounts. We also get creatine, dextrose and stevia from there. You get a discount for buying in bulk too. The dextrose is really cheap, so don't worry about pricing. Here's a link for the dextrose and you can search for other supplements as well.

http://www.nutritiondiscounters.com/NOW_Dextrose_Bag_p/273027.htm

This is the meal replacement powder DH and I eat during the day (we eat 5-6 times per day, so we can't always eat "real food". I eat meal replacement powder or a protein bar in between breakfast and lunch and again in between lunch and dinner). This stuff is really good. I like the vanilla and strawberry the best. Don't be shocked by the price. First of all, that bag is huge. Second, when you break down the per meal cost, it isn't more expensive than getting that same amount of of protein and carbs from regular food (meat, etc).

http://www.nutritiondiscounters.com/Whey_MRP_7_62_lbs_p/wheymrp7.62.htm

Anyway, I hope this helps some. Feel free to let me know if this isn't clear or you have any questions. We've been doing this for a long time and it works, I promise. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file