Christmas gift/bonus for childcare provider

sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
Those of you with little ones in daycare, do you give your childcare provider a Christmas gift or bonus, and what or how much?

Our boys go to a lady who watches them (and a couple other kids) in her home. They usually go two days a week for 4 hours. Last year we gave her a gift card to a restaurant, and I was thinking of doing the same this year (maybe in a higher amount, since she's watching two now) or just cash. I don't have any great ideas for personal gifts for her.

What do other moms give for Christmas?
ehLB.jpg

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    We gave cash last year and will probably do the same this year.

Our daycare has a parents' group that does various fundraisers throughout the year to create a bonus pool for the teachers. I loathe fundraising and didn't participate, so we'll probably just give $$$ to DD's teachers directly or we'll make a contribution to the parent group.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    In the past 2 years, I gave her a week's extra pay (and she didn't have the baby). I don't think we can afford that this year. No, I know we can't afford it.

I have a preschooler and her teachers will get little thoughtful gifts. The baby's care provider - I haven't figured it out. I think she will get a bonus but it won't be what I wanted to give her.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We have a lady that watches DS in her home along with another little boy. The first year I gave her a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant.
    We have a gift shop nearby that makes those gourmet gift baskets with wine, cheeses, fruits, chocolates etc so last year I had one of those delivered.
    I know another recommendation is a weeks pay but I've never done that.
    Not sure what I'm going to do this year so hopefully I'll get some good ideas from this thread.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I give Visa gift cards so they can be used anywhere...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've given Manicure/Pedicure Gift Certificates and Starbucks gift certificates in the past.

This year is different...Chas is in a different daycare and we've had about 5 different teachers. The new one just started about a month ago...can't decide what to do? What about all the different assistants?
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    We gave cash last year and will probably do the same this year.

Our daycare has a parents' group that does various fundraisers throughout the year to create a bonus pool for the teachers. I loathe fundraising and didn't participate, so we'll probably just give $$$ to DD's teachers directly or we'll make a contribution to the parent group.
    Sorry, rant ahead.

You'd think schools would realize that sometimes it makes sense to either straight out ask for donations or give parents the option of either participating in the fundraiser or donating a certain about of money. My nephew's class needed to pay for a bunch of stuff last year (6th grade camp, graduation, etc) so they did endless fundraisers all year long. These parents are hitting up the same people over and over again to buy a bunch of stupid crap. How much cookie dough or wrapping paper do I need? And how much do they make on each $10 order? The final straw was the spaghetti dinner for $5. How much money could they possibly make on this? I gave my sister $5 and called it a day.

The teachers and assistants deserve gifts (cash, GCs, etc) because they make so little money. Fundraisers to pay for it are ridiculous though.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I used to work in preschools and daycare, and I think one of the most thoughtful gifts is a simple thank you note for taking care of the child. Enclose a picture of the child. If the child is willing/old enough, have them draw something.

I received a couple of Christmas ornaments that I still hang on our tree.

Ask if there is anything the provider needs for their room. You might have something at home you are willing to donate. Or you might be able to find something at a second hand store in good condition.

Sometimes a big basket of something is good for the teachers to share.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the ideas Ruralcurls. I forgot I also have to get DS's preschool teacher a gift also. I was kind of ticked off because the class mom was collecting $10 from everyone for the purpose of buying the teacher a gift but a lot of the moms are saying they're still going to give their own gifts too. Then what the heck is the point of everyone chipping in for the first gift!? I like the thank you card and pic idea. I was also thinking of getting her a Hallmark ornament.

I will probably do something bigger for DS's babysitter since she's with him 3 days a week for at least 7 hours.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I ended up giving her almost a week's pay in cash. If I had them in full-time daycare, that would have been too much for us to afford. Even now, it's more than I'm spending on anyone else's gift. But I'm very glad to have her, and she deserves it.
    ehLB.jpg
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    sarah42 wrote: »
    I ended up giving her almost a week's pay in cash. If I had them in full-time daycare, that would have been too much for us to afford. Even now, it's more than I'm spending on anyone else's gift. But I'm very glad to have her, and she deserves it.
    ITA
    I put the little one in their hands & always let them know I appreciate how important that is to me, ya know?
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file