Clarisonic Review

LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
I've been eyeing this device for over a year now. It is a handheld electric face scrubber that is waterproof for use in the shower. I've had others, and this one would have to be pretty darned special for it to be worth the price of nearly $200. :shock: But it had a 30-day back guarantee on it; so I figured what the heck.

Pros: It is definitely a great exfoliator. It really is working as well as any microdermabrasion or dermatologist level peel I've ever had. Considering that you use it daily, it's ultimately better in my opinion, since you never get back to being "in need." So you just always have nicely exfoliated skin.
My skin, at least where not broken out at the moment, is much much smoother and softer.
My pores are less clogged.
All in all, worth the money paid, since it is the cost of only about two dermabrasion treatments.
I only need to recharge every 15 days.

Cons: Price. Still spendy for an electric brush.
Right now I think this thing is aggravating my breakout areas. I usually only breakout on my chin during that time of the month and have some clogged pores on my forehead, chin and nose. But since I started using this, the areas that are normally mildly clogged have had minor breakouts. They are becoming less clogged. So I am thinking it may be that this Sonicare toothbrush for you face is jiggling some pores to being unclogged and jiggling some into breakouts. I hope that over time, they will all be unclogged. I've stepped up my once a day use to twice a day, and since then, it seems to be clearing up, but in the meantime, I'm getting impatient.

Comments

• LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    Update: My breakouts are improving. Probably because I have started using Neutragena On the Spot or whatever it is called 2.5% benzoil peroxide treatment. Perhaps the brush was irritating the bacteria that had been hanging out not much bothering me? Either way, love the brush overall and the improved texture of my skin generally. Love it even more now that I've figured out how to keep it from breaking me out.

(I don't think increased breakouts are common.)
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lucille are you still around? how do you like the clarisonic now? are you still using it? i just heard of this and i'm thinking of getting it...i've got super oily skin and congested pores and a few dark spots. i want to improve my skin. i get facials off an on so i think this should pay for itself.

a few other questions:
    - how often do you use the product?
    - what type of cleansing work best? (creamy, liquidy, etc)
    - what type of brush do you have?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not Lucille, but I have the Clarisonic. I've had it about 2 years I guess. I love it and use it daily. I think it's done a great job of helping me clear out my very congested pores and keep them clear. I use a lot of other stuff on my skin, so it's difficult to tell how much the Clarisonic helped and how much the other products did, but I can say that I really feel clean and exfoliated after using it. I use my non-detergent neutral-pH cleanser with it, and I use the regular brush. I don't like the cleanser that Clarisonic sells to use with it though...full of harsh detergents.

The Clarisonic company recently had a massive recall a few months ago. They recalled all brushes sold before a certain date due to some electrical problem. Mine was one of those recalled (although I wasn't having any problems with mine). They were so great...they sent me a pre-paid box to ship my old one to them, and as soon as they got notice from UPS that it had shipped, they immediately overnight shipped a brand new one to me, so I was only without my brush for 2 days. They even threw in 4 new brush replacements...nice because they are expensive. Mine was out of warrantee, so they didn't have to replace it, but they did.

If you buy one, check the internet for deals. I bought mine at Skinrx.com because I found a 20% off coupon for them and they were doing free shipping. I like a good deal.
    Not Lucille, but I have the Clarisonic. I've had it about 2 years I guess. I love it and use it daily. I think it's done a great job of helping me clear out my very congested pores and keep them clear. I use a lot of other stuff on my skin, so it's difficult to tell how much the Clarisonic helped and how much the other products did, but I can say that I really feel clean and exfoliated after using it. I use my non-detergent neutral-pH cleanser with it, and I use the regular brush. I don't like the cleanser that Clarisonic sells to use with it though...full of harsh detergents.

The Clarisonic company recently had a massive recall a few months ago. They recalled all brushes sold before a certain date due to some electrical problem. Mine was one of those recalled (although I wasn't having any problems with mine). They were so great...they sent me a pre-paid box to ship my old one to them, and as soon as they got notice from UPS that it had shipped, they immediately overnight shipped a brand new one to me, so I was only without my brush for 2 days. They even threw in 4 new brush replacements...nice because they are expensive. Mine was out of warrantee, so they didn't have to replace it, but they did.

If you buy one, check the internet for deals. I bought mine at Skinrx.com because I found a 20% off coupon for them and they were doing free shipping. I like a good deal.

THANK YOU!!! i think i've found my christmas present to myself....i mean really it's cheaper than a few facials so it pays for itself...
    i bought my clarisonic and LOVE it!!

i changed it to normal power and that was a bit much at first. i shifted it down to low power and i'm using the sensitive brush that was already on it. i do think when that runs out i'll be fine w/ normal.
    rcw do you use this for 1 min or 2 mins?
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I found it here for $156 with free shipping, if anyone is interested. I still haven't made the plunge. I haven't bought from that site, so I have no idea what they are like to deal with.
  • alcheralcher Posts: 1Registered Users
    I found it here for $156 with free shipping, if anyone is interested. I still haven't made the plunge. I haven't bought from that site, so I have no idea what they are like to deal with.
    The price is different now, but if you are still interested, there is another place with "special offere" (coupon) and the price will be reasonable and there is a chance to make a Christmas present.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is this the one that was one of Oprahs favorite things this year?
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    alcher wrote: »
    The price is different now, but if you are still interested, there is another place with "special offere" (coupon) and the price will be reasonable and there is a chance to make a Christmas present.
    Damn! That sucks that they changed it :?
    redcatwaves i didn't get your reply to my clarisonic pm because my mailbox was full. can you post your response here?

i LOVE my clarisonic!!! i'm now doing it for 2 mins and normal power. i am TOTALLY loving it....i feel like it's getting my skin cleaner. i use an olay wipe to take the makeup off then i use the clarisonic w/ a neutrogena cleanser.....i HAPPY!!!
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    redcatwaves i didn't get your reply to my clarisonic pm because my mailbox was full. can you post your response here?

i LOVE my clarisonic!!! i'm now doing it for 2 mins and normal power. i am TOTALLY loving it....i feel like it's getting my skin cleaner. i use an olay wipe to take the makeup off then i use the clarisonic w/ a neutrogena cleanser.....i HAPPY!!!

OK. The question was:
    do you get professional facials? do you find you need them less now?

No, I don't get pro facials. I think the extraction they do at most facials is damaging to the skin, and I don't like the products they use ("spa" products seem to be even worse than drugstore and department-store products for harmful ingredients). I'm REALLY fussy about what goes on my skin, and I would have no control about the products if I were to submit to a pro facial.

I'm so glad you're happy with your Clarisonic. I think you'd even be happier if you got rid of that detergent cleanser. ;)
    thanks rcw! i'm totally open to changing cleansers once i run out. can you recommend something i don't have to order on-line? i have access to sephora and ulta and of course drugstores where i live.
    >> can you recommend something i don't have to order on-line?
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

No, I really can't. There isn't anything decent that I know of that you can buy at a drug or department or beauty store. They all either contain detergents, which damage the skin barrier, or they are soap with a high pH, which also damages the skin barrier. Oil cleansers are an option though, for those dry-skinned folks who aren't acne-prone. I don't know too many people in that category though.

I only know of 2 cleansers that are non-detergent and pH neutral, and I have recommended them all over on these boards so many times, people are probably sick of hearing about them. But, I'll risk being banned for ticking everyone off again. ;) They are:

https://www.psfskincare.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GCC-8&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dall%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DAAAA

http://www.dianayvonne.com/product/CSC23_8/Wheat_Germ_Cleanser_8_oz_w_FREE_Facial_Brush.html

They are both castile based cleansers, which is soap, but have had their pH lowered with citric acid to a neutral level. They are safe for the skin barrier and effective cleansers. My personal preference is for the one from PSF, because I like the smell better and because I think it's more concentrated and therefore a better value. Both are very economical to use, despite the $20 and $24 pricetags, because they are so concentrated that an 8 ounce bottle will last 4-5 months with twice a day usage.

The skin barrier is very important...when someone has a damaged/compromised skin barrier, acne-causing bacteria can get in and cause skin problems. There are other liquid castile soaps available in healthfood stores, but they have a pH in the caustic range and are damaging to the skin barrier. The neutral-pH is what makes these 2 cleansers quite unique.
    thanks rcw!! i will definitely check those out...

another question: i want to do a lactic acid peel (i believe you do those but i can't recall). i want to only do it once a week. i have the 55%. can i use my clarisonic to cleanse before the peel or is that a bad idea? also the morning after my peel do you think my skin will be too sensitive to use my clarisonic? i just want to do my peels to speed up the healing of the discolorations i have. what are your thoughts?
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    thanks rcw!! i will definitely check those out...

another question: i want to do a lactic acid peel (i believe you do those but i can't recall). i want to only do it once a week. i have the 55%. can i use my clarisonic to cleanse before the peel or is that a bad idea? also the morning after my peel do you think my skin will be too sensitive to use my clarisonic? i just want to do my peels to speed up the healing of the discolorations i have. what are your thoughts?

I used to do peels, but haven't in a long time (because I just don't see the need anymore...several years of Retin-A and non-detergent cleanser and my skin is as smooth and thin as I want it to be).

Anyway, if I were you, I would try using the Clarisonic first, because it will get your skin more prepared to accept the peel. Maybe end the peel a few seconds earlier than usual the first time and see how you do.

The Clarisonic really is very gentle, so if you feel up to it, you could try using it for cleansing the morning after.
    thanks! i'll be doing my lactic acid peel tonite!
    still loving my clarisonic!!!!
    bump....
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I finally ordered and received my clarisonic. I ordered it from Skin Care Choice

It has to charge for 24 hours, so I'm going to be patient until tomorrow night. But I wanted to let you all know that it seems like a good place to buy from.
    I paid $175. It included shipping (and I received it in less than a week!), 2 free heads with registration and a free years subscription to Health magazine! Pretty good 'extras'!! I wasn't aware of these extra's until I opened the package.

Just wanted to give this heads up to anyone thinking about ordering.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
    that is a sweet deal...you'll love your clarisonic...there are some times when washing for 2 minutes seems like a hassle but i feel like my skin definitely gets cleaner with it.

btw, i was told NOT to use a cleanser with granules because it can mess up the head....just an fyi...

happy skin!
    Ohhh...how exciting. I put this on my Christmas list but I didnt get it :sad8: I think SO saw $200 for a face scrubby machine and thought - uhh..washcloth???
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    xcptnl wrote: »
    Ohhh...how exciting. I put this on my Christmas list but I didnt get it :sad8: I think SO saw $200 for a face scrubby machine and thought - uhh..washcloth???

No doubt. Thank God SO didn't ask how much it was. Not that he'd be upset over me spending $175.00, but as you said - $175 for a wash cloth might be a little too much. :laughing7:

luvmylocs - I'm planning to do as RCW said and just use my daily PSF cleanser.

Can't wait til tonight to wash my face! (that sounds so funny)
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
    2happy wrote: »

No doubt. Thank God SO didn't ask how much it was. Not that he'd be upset over me spending $175.00, but as you said - $175 for a wash cloth might be a little too much. :laughing7:

At the risk of sounding like a product ho, I have to say the Clarisonic is nothing like a washcloth.

It doesn't scrub your skin like one would think a scrubbing "machine" would...it vibrates at extremely high resolution and loosens junk in the pores just by vibration. It works very well...and you got a great price 2happy! It's a great little machine, very high quality. It will last you for many years.
    [

At the risk of sounding like a product ho, I have to say the Clarisonic is nothing like a washcloth.

It doesn't scrub your skin like one would think a scrubbing "machine" would...it vibrates at extremely high resolution and loosens junk in the pores just by vibration. It works very well...

And my SO will say to that - "Yea, that's what a washcloth does!!"

Seriously, he stopped even asking me what I got (in the mail every other day). I'm guessing because instead of a simple answer, I tried explaining to him why 'this' stuff is better and I can't go buy it at Wal Mart, and yadda yadda yadda. Pretty sure he thinks it's all ridiculous and tunes me out after 10 seconds!! But he's a good trooper and nods his head at me like he's listening, understands, and cares : ) :love7:
    Location - WI
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    2happy, have you used it yet? How'd you like it? :D

I REALLY want one of these. Ohhh, DH has been wondering what to get me for my birthday! Maybe I could hint at this. :occasion9: He was going to surprise me with a new dog because I've always wanted a yorkie. Then he found out how much they are..$1500! I don't like the idea of buying a dog anyway, but that's just insane. So $175 will seem like a steal! :toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.

It doesn't scrub your skin like one would think a scrubbing "machine" would...it vibrates at extremely high resolution and loosens junk in the pores just by vibration. It works very well...and you got a great price 2happy! It's a great little machine, very high quality. It will last you for many years.

Oh...I know it's not a washcloth but I am sure SO was thinking why do you want something that costs $200 to wash your face? Damn man.
    Central Massachusetts

spring1onu wrote: »

I REALLY want one of these. Ohhh, DH has been wondering what to get me for my birthday! Maybe I could hint at this. :occasion9: He was going to surprise me with a new dog because I've always wanted a yorkie. Then he found out how much they are..$1500! I don't like the idea of buying a dog anyway, but that's just insane. So $175 will seem like a steal! :toothy7:

Darn - that is smart of you!! It's funny - SO is not cheap but some of the stuff I buy/want he just does not get. For instance, he didnt get me the Clarisonic for Christmas but he did me the brand new IPOD to replace the one I had that didnt store enough music for me. He also spent the same amount of $ on a Ann Taylor coat that he would have spent on the face machine. I will still keep him.
    Central Massachusetts

spring1onu wrote: »

Great idea. Pick out a puppy that is a minimum of $1000, circle it, tape it on the frige, whatever. Then print out the clarisonic for $175 and put it next to it. Tell him "either or both will be fine".

I LOVE the clarisonic. I know my face is getting cleaner using it because I actually feel a little sting when I use the vit. C now. Xcptn asked RCW a while back if it was suppose to sting a little. I was confused because I didn't feel anything. Now I get a little tingle and that makes me happy! I must be unclogging : )

I need to use a little more cleanser than normal, otherwise it doesn't feel 'lubed' up enough on my face : ) (that doesn't sound so good.......)

I'm giving it :thumright: :thumright: so far.
    Location - WI
    I need to use a little more cleanser than normal, otherwise it doesn't feel 'lubed' up enough on my face : ) (that doesn't sound so good.......)

how are you applying cleanser? right now i'm using the psf cleanser. i get 2 pumps in my hand, rub my hands together then put it on my face. i wet the clarisonic and go to town. by the end i don't so much see the cleanser but i know it's still there. i just wasn't sure if you were applying the cleanser to brush or what....you really shouldn't use more cleanser i don't think..it's there, you just can't really see it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file