Losing curl?

HedyHedy Posts: 173Registered Users
Is anyone else afraid if they cut their hair, they'll lose curl? I've talked myself into getting my hair chopped off at least daily for the past two weeks (it's currently below my shoulders, I'm toying with the concept of an ear-length bob). I've had hair that short before (heck, I buzzed my hair for three years) and it tends to lost curl once it gets above my chin. I think it may be better now that I'm cg.
Am I alone in this dilemma?
So..um...I kinda fell off the CG wagon. I got sick of long curly hair about 6 months ago. I currently have a short a-line, which I flat iron, although I also wear it wavy sometimes. I still use sulfate-free poos (I'm madly in love with the Bodyshop's rainforest moisture) and silicone free conditioners.
Want to get money back on your Drugstore.com, Walgreen and Sally Beauty purchases? Check out Sunshine Rewards!

Comments

• CurlyCoreanCurlyCorean Posts: 64Registered Users
    I have wavy/curly hair and I worry about this too.
    Naturally Curly/Wavy Korean Guy
  • Oriental CurlOriental Curl Posts: 201Registered Users
    I would say that it was a worry, if it hadn't already happened to me. I'm currently growing out shorter and straighter hair than I've ever had. Sigh.

Mind you, I've also had it go the other way - and had ringlets with no styling for the first time in my life! Why not this time, I wonder?

Sorry I can't put your mind at ease...
    Hair: LOTS of fine hair, mainly variations of 2 (FIA), now cut into a just-above-the-shoulder layered bob.

Products: MOP C-System Curl Enhancing shampoo
    Original Source conditioners for co-washing and conditioning
    MOP C-System Curl Defining Cream
    Boots clear gel and/or Joico Joiwhip
    Joico Curl Activator on the second day.
  • lclaire15lclaire15 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Yes!! This just happened to me! I had medium-long hair and I just cut it to my shoulders to make it more manageable.. I like my shorter hair, but I DID lose my best curls that were at the bottom...
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    My hair was pretty curly when it was very short, but I think the fact that it got curlier at that point was partially due to the fact that before, my hair was getting brushed out all the time, and once it was short I stopped doing that. That being said, different people's curl patterns respond differently to length. Too short can cut the curl pattern off, especially with looser curl patterns, but too long can weigh it down sometimes.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    I'll say again...wavy hair depends more on length than weight. The longer it is the wavier it will be, and the shorter it is the less wave you'll have...with wavy hair the pattern usually doesn't start until 1-3" down the shaft of the hair. I know with my hair, the ends actually start to curl the longer it is. Yes, if your hair is really long, like past BSL when dry, it may start to get weighted down, but before that, no. Not if you truly have wavy hair.

That being said, go for it if you want to cut your hair. But for wavies, the reduction in weight won't give you better waves.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • kitten59kitten59 Posts: 68Registered Users
    My hair gets curlier the shorter it is! Right now, it's shoulder length and I'm growing it out. I always thought that the longer the hair, the less wave/curl because of the weight!? This has been my own experience in the past....but then I've only been CG for a few weeks. Hmm...
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    Suave, Vo5, ACV w/honey, Giovanni Tea Tree, Giovanni 50/50
    Leave-ins- KCKT, Bioinfusion Cond. Balm, Biosilk Smoothing Balm, Giovanni DLI
    LOOB, KCSS

Protein DT: Joico K-Pak

Playing with:
    Loma Imply, KBBSS, KBHN, shampoo bars from KM
    KCCC, CBSS WSHP, DM Lock + Twist, DM Coco Curly

http://public.fotki.com/kitten59/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file