Spinoff: Changing last names...

sariroosariroo Registered Users Posts: 1,958 Curl Neophyte
The thread about being old fashioned had me wondering what other people did/would do if they got married? I didn't change my last name and will probably hypenate my kids' last name (in the event that we have any). What did/or will you do?

I hope this poll shows up correctly, I have never posted one before. Sorry in advance for any mistakes.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
316vq4y.jpg

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I currently just kept my last name, but I intend once there are children to follow the Hispanic tradition of premier apellido/segundo apellido (first name maiden name husband's last name, no hyphens.)
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• SCGSCG Registered Users Posts: 5,416
    I'll probably change it. I see no reason why I would need to keep my maiden name. :)

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    I took my husband's last name. I didn't even keep my maiden name as my middle name because I happen to adore the middle name my parents gave me and I didn't want to give it up. :lol: Also, this way, all three of my names have 5 letters, and both of my husband's names have 5 letters (he doesn't have a middle name at all). And I just like that symmetry, as silly as it seems. :D
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    PartyHair wrote:
    I took my husband's last name. I didn't even keep my maiden name as my middle name because I happen to adore the middle name my parents gave me and I didn't want to give it up. :lol: Also, this way, all three of my names have 5 letters, and both of my husband's names have 5 letters (he doesn't have a middle name at all). And I just lik that symmetry, as silly as it seems. :D

Why would you have to give up your middle name? Wouldn't you just be first name middle name maiden name husband's last name?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RainRain Registered Users Posts: 217 Curl Neophyte
    I changed to my husband's last name. It was easier to spell and pronounce.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • msjokermsjoker Registered Users Posts: 1,658
    I kept my last name and I have my husband's last name. It's really cool because my last name is English and his is French. It goes really well together.
    "It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."
    Amneris wrote:
    PartyHair wrote:
    I took my husband's last name. I didn't even keep my maiden name as my middle name because I happen to adore the middle name my parents gave me and I didn't want to give it up. :lol: Also, this way, all three of my names have 5 letters, and both of my husband's names have 5 letters (he doesn't have a middle name at all). And I just lik that symmetry, as silly as it seems. :D

Why would you have to give up your middle name? Wouldn't you just be first name middle name maiden name husband's last name?

The harsh-sounding, 3 syllable, 8 letter, highly Germanic maiden name just doesn't flow, with or without my "real" middle name. :D
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I took my husband's last name and changed my middle name to my maiden name.

At work I hyphenate. Both my last names are short and so hyphenated they are still shorter than many other peoples one last name. I did this because I publish in my field and so I wanted a connection to my work/thesis that were pre-marriage and those after.
  • ScarletScarlet Registered Users Posts: 3,125 Curl Neophyte
    Had I married younger, I without question would have taken my husband's name. Now, being 37 and still single I think that if I ever marry, I'll keep my maiden name. Afterall, I've had it for a looooong time. :wink:

I'd never hyphenate. My Eastern European last name is difficult enough on its own.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I hyphenated. I was not really fully satisfied with any of the choices, I would probably have just kept my last name, but my husband is a big traditionalist and wanted me to take his name. So, I compromised. I still go mostly by my maiden name at work, and in social situations it depends.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    Amneris wrote:
    PartyHair wrote:

That's me!

But it gets to be pretty long, so I only use it on official documents. I'm known as firstname husband's last name, and when I sign I'm first name middle initial husband's last name, and the maiden name gets completely dropped.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    I voted keep my maiden name. I have been married almost four years and haven't changed it yet. I plan to add his last name to mine. So I will be first name middle name maiden name married name. That way, I can use which ever I want. If my credit cards still have maiden name on them, no problem. Checks with married name, no problem. I like both names and would hate to give up my maiden name. We'll see. Maybe by the time I get around to changing my name, I'll have changed my mind. :)
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I would keep mine..don't see any reason to change it.
  • MipMip Registered Users Posts: 233 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not sure what I would do. I personally would not want a double barrelled name. I wouldn't mind getting rid of my surname (for personal reasons) but if my husband had a surname that was horrible/embarassing or rhymed with my name, I would keep mine.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    Sigi wrote:
    I plan to add his last name to mine. So I will be first name middle name maiden name married name. That way, I can use which ever I want. If my credit cards still have maiden name on them, no problem. Checks with married name, no problem. I like both names and would hate to give up my maiden name. We'll see. Maybe by the time I get around to changing my name, I'll have changed my mind. :)

That's what happened with me. I've been married for 6 years and I still have stuff in my maiden name, including my passport. When things expire then I think about getting the name changed... I'm just always sure to carry my marriage certificate with me when I travel.

I was ambivalent about DH and I having the same name. But I do really like the fact that my son and I have the same name.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    PartyHair wrote:

That's me!

But it gets to be pretty long, so I only use it on official documents. I'm known as firstname husband's last name, and when I sign I'm first name middle initial husband's last name, and the maiden name gets completely dropped.

Girl, I already have five names, and they're all long!

.png

534Pm5.png

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I changed my middle name to my maiden name and took my husbands name. 8)
  • dia99dia99 Registered Users Posts: 1,998
    Changed it. I don't think there's a right/wrong answer for this. I did it as symbolic that I believe he should be head of the household and "the two shall become one." I could still view him as head of household and keep my name, though. I guess I'm old fashioned about that, too.
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    I would keep my own name. It's easier to spell and pronounce than my BF's name. And I've had it for a long time. And we don't have kids.
    SuZen wrote:
    I would keep my own name. It's easier to spell and pronounce than my BF's name. And I've had it for a long time. And we don't have kids.

Yeah, it does help that my husband's last name is far easier to spell and pronounce than my maiden name, plus it's just prettier. I was just telling him over the wekeend that if he'd had a last name like Echevarria I wouldn't've been able to take it because I can't say it right. :lol:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • gemidevigemidevi Registered Users Posts: 510
    Although I plan to hyphenate my husband's name with mine, our children will most likely take on his last name. It just seems easier that way.
    *disclaimer* spelling, grammatical and psychological errors are for your enjoyment. :)
    Guano question for people who DON'T take their husband's name. What are my kids supposed to call you? If your kid has a different last name, are you Mrs. husband's last name, or Ms. maiden name?
    Minneapolis, MN
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Guano question for people who DON'T take their husband's name. What are my kids supposed to call you? If your kid has a different last name, are you Mrs. husband's last name, or Ms. maiden name?

Ms. Maiden Name.

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    Poodlehead wrote:

Ms. Maiden Name.

See, to me that's confusing.

I don't mind calling you Jane Smith, but if your son is Joe Jackson, I'd rather my kids call you Mrs. Jackson, so they know who you are in relation to your child, who they already know.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Not a big surprise, since I'm one of the non-old fashioned folks - I did not would not will not change my name. My names go together well and I 'look' like my last name (if I looked like my mother's side and it went well with my first name I would have changed my last name to her maiden name).
    I can be introduced as Ms. So and so. And once I have met someone (adult or child) I do prefer to be addressed by my first name. I don't find it disrepectful at all.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SCGSCG Registered Users Posts: 5,416
    Since we're already (sort of) on the topic...

I have a friend whose mother was recently divorced because her husband was abusive. My friend still goes by that last name, but I have no idea if her mother does. She's now dating, so should I call her Mrs. Last name of ex-husband, or what?

I'm always sort of embarassed to ask people how I'm supposed to address them. :lol:

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    Keep my maiden name.

I have a very Hispanic name and an English name sounds horrible with my name. I also already have 4 names and don't want to give any of them up. Five names is too much for me.

Children will have my last name as one of their middle names. For example my son's name is Daric Jose mylastname dadslastname.
    3c/4a
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    Poodlehead wrote:

Ms. Maiden Name.

See, to me that's confusing.

I don't mind calling you Jane Smith, but if your son is Joe Jackson, I'd rather my kids call you Mrs. Jackson, so they know who you are in relation to your child, who they already know.

Right, but my kid would be Joe Smith Jackson, so they would get the connection....

.png

534Pm5.png

• Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
    I don't agree with a woman changing her name when she gets married. It's my opinion, and obviously a lot of you don't agree with me, and that's fine! I think a name is more important that what sound pretty or flows the best: to me, a name is a symbol of your identity. (and my name is pretty darn common, which I don't like, but I still think of it this way). In my views, changing your name is giving up/changing your identity. When a woman gets married I believe she should still be her, but more and better....not different and/or less. I know a lot of you who believe in name changing agree with this, but to me the name thing is representative of it.

So, that being said, I will keep my own name. My children can hyphenate or take both (my last name is very simple, so if I marry someone with a simple last name we will likely do one of these), or take the husbands name. I will know my kids are mine, I don't feel the need to stamp them with the label of my name.

And now, and when I'm married, if your child or any other human being needs to address me formally they can call me "Ms. MyLastName".

Aside: I also don't like the use of "Mrs." or "Miss". I don't think it's anyone's business if a woman is married or not, and it should therefore not be used as part of your name!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    Since we're already (sort of) on the topic...

I have a friend whose mother was recently divorced because her husband was abusive. My friend still goes by that last name, but I have no idea if her mother does. She's now dating, so should I call her Mrs. Last name of ex-husband, or what?

I'm always sort of embarassed to ask people how I'm supposed to address them.

Sarah

Why not ask your friend what to call her mother?

Sometimes divorced women do keep their ex-husband's last name if it's the same as the name of the kids.

I always thought my friend's girlfriend was Irish because of her last name, but it turned out to be her ex's name, and she was actually Russian.

Edited to quote the post I was referring to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file