Baby gets distracted while nursing

sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
Lately when Oliver is nursing, he'll latch on for a couple seconds, then let go and look around the room, repeat. I know this is normal at his age, and I know the tricks of what you're supposed to do--nurse when baby is sleepy, go to a darkened room to reduce distractions, etc. I do those things as much as I can, considering I have an almost-2-year-old running around too. I've never gotten the hang of nursing while wearing him; maybe I could try again and see if I have better luck. What would be easier, nursing in a pouch sling or a mei tai?

My question is, will he outgrow the distractibility, and when? Soon, I hope? He was doing much better on sleeping at night, and was down to 0 or 1 night wakings, but last night he woke up 3 times. I fear he's not getting as much milk during the day and is trying to make up for it at night, which is not my preference. I've also been sick the past few days and I feel like my milk supply is lower, so that may be affecting things too.
ehLB.jpg

Comments

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Nadia is almost 9 months and still super-nosy. In my experience with Ben he got more focused close to a year. Then he became a total boob monster again.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I found it easiest to nurse discreetly in a Mei Tai. Just loosen it enough to lower the baby to boob level and slide it to the side.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    geeky wrote: »
    Nadia is almost 9 months and still super-nosy. In my experience with Ben he got more focused close to a year. Then he became a total boob monster again.

Yup, from about 7 months to about 11 months I could not nurse Solomon with others in the room, even my husband. Around a year, he learned how to multi-task and now can nurse no matter what's going on around him.
    Kaia wrote: »
    I found it easiest to nurse discreetly in a Mei Tai. Just loosen it enough to lower the baby to boob level and slide it to the side.

Yup, me too.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Up until 11 months....good heavens..... :angry7:

Another question: anyone used a nursing necklace? That boy is so handsy, he's always grabbing my shirt, fingers, knocking the nipple out of his mouth, etc.
    ehLB.jpg
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I never got the hang of nursing in a sling, I have heard the nursing necklaces work great.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It is so hard to nurse discreetly these days!

Anyway, I can't figure out how to use the pouch with a big baby for anything but a hip carry, but I have nursed in a mei-tai. I think it works well, unless someone happens to look down inside to say hello to the baby causing the baby to unlatch and see what's going on.
    Poor grandpa...

I haven't used a nursing necklace, but she does play with a stretchy bracelet I wear to remember which side to nurse on next. I also have some luck holding her hand, not forcing her to keep still, but just letting her hold my hand and wave it around.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    sarah42 wrote: »
    Another question: anyone used a nursing necklace? That boy is so handsy, he's always grabbing my shirt, fingers, knocking the nipple out of his mouth, etc.
    I've used one for both kids and LOVE those things (I got the kid ones, which my older daughter still plays with and wears). I highly recommend this website. I've now bought several from there (I got my oldest a "sibling" necklace when I ordered a necklace for my youngest) and the owner, Raelynn, is a friend of one of the posters here. I had a special order and she was super accomodating.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sarah42 wrote: »
    I've used one for both kids and LOVE those things (I got the kid ones, which my older daughter still plays with and wears). I highly recommend this website. I've now bought several from there (I got my oldest a "sibling" necklace when I ordered a necklace for my youngest) and the owner, Raelynn, is a friend of one of the posters here. I had a special order and she was super accomodating.

I used a nursing necklace with great success, until he broke it (he was over 1 at that point). I had this one.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I use a nursing necklace too. I got mine here
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Mine is similar to fuzzbucket's but I made it myself. It did seem to help for the limited time we nursed after I made it. He did yank really hard on it, which was sometimes painful, but still better then having my breast pinched.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file