Pixie

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
You mentioned in the holiday thread that you celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. I'm curious about how you are raising Solomon with both religions, because that's what we are planning to do. How are you going to explain things? Are you going to celebrate all major Jewish and Christian holidays? Have you thought about things down the road like Hebrew school and Sunday school?
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

• goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not Pixie (obviously) and no kids here yet... but I'm curious as to your answers.

Hubby and I have discussed what we'll do... but of course we're not going through it yet ;)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I'm here!

Since Solomon is still so young, we haven't really had to put any of our plans into action yet, but here they are....

We plan to just expose him to both, mostly to the cultural/family aspects of both religions. We will celebrate Passover, Hanukkah, etc. with my family (who lives close to us) and Christmas and Easter with my husband's family (who live far). Once he's old enough to attend temple/church, we'll bring him to temple for the high holidays and sometimes on Friday nights. Church isn't very important to my husband, so he/we don't belong to one up here. It is important to my MIL, so when we go down there for Easter my husband usually goes to church with her while I stay home with Solomon (I went with them before he was born). When Solomon's old enough we'll start going with them again.

Even though my husband does believe in Jesus. he identifies with and enjoys many aspects of Judaism. He enjoys going to temple and feels at home worshipping there. We are paying members at temple. We did have a Bris for Solomon and may consider having a Bar Mitzvah down the road. We'll send him to Sunday School at temple (it's important to us that he learns Bible stories and lessons, and it's fine with my husband if it's all Old Testament / Torah stuff). We haven't really discussed Hebrew school yet but it could go either way - if we're going to do a Bar Mitzvah we'll obviously send him.

So, the main plan is "expose him to both" and the details are being worked out as they come up. Hope this helps!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Pixie.. what you all plan to do (and are doing) sounds similar to what my husband and I have discussed.

The past few years we haven't attended Temple or Church for any of the holidays... though when we first began dating and lived near our parents (10 years ago) we did go to Temple for at least one High Holiday service and Church for midnight mass.

We have discussed using a JCC for daycare, mommy and me, and preschool. We are both more into the cultural aspects of our upbringing (me in a Jewish household him as Roman Catholic Puerto Rican), so that's what we plan to focus on and incorporate into our lives as a family.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Yeah, for me, it's the cultural/tradition aspect of religion that's important. For my husband, it's the more spiritual side but it's really just important to him that we raise our children to believe in God.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is all very interesting to me. I was raised Roman Catholic (left the church a long time ago) and DH is a purely secular Jew (never set foot in a temple). We'd like to raise our children with an awareness of both traditions, but DH is really unaware of what his traditions are. We are considering joining the local Unitarian Universalist church because they teach and embrace so many traditions.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies. Goldy, your situation sounds a lot like ours. I am not religious at all and my husband isn't really either, but both of us see our religious backgrounds as a fundamental part of our cultural backgrounds, and we want to pass that on to our child(ren). We have also discussed the JCC for daycare, since that was a big part of my childhood and Jewish identity.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file