Good natural styling and conditioning products for wavies?

bajagirlbajagirl Posts: 4Registered Users
Hello!

I am a newbie but have been lurking for several months. I think I'm 2c, sometimes with spirals here and there. My hair is highlighted, slightly below the shoulders, cut with layers, fine, but not too thin. Generally healthy, but some breakage and can be dry. I have been trying the CG method, but haven't been able to adhere completely. I can see the benefits - so much beautiful hair on this site! - and I would like to persevere :?. I am looking for CG products that are also kind to the environment and animals. Tried Jessicurl - I like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink], but did not much like the shampoo or conditioner, or rockin ringlets (conditioner, too shea = too rich! [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]rockin ringlets[/buylink] = frizzy).

Currently, I'm using EO hydrating shampoo 2-3/week, occasional Suave coconut co-wash, TJ's Nourish Spa conditioner, and then aloe vera gel with a little jojoba oil for styling. Sometimes I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink] + aloe vera. My hair does not seem adequately conditioned and it's often frizzy and dry...just not very pretty. The [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink] seems to weigh my hair down, although it does help with frizz & definition. Of note, I live in Southern California, so the climate is fairly dry. OK, here are my (hopefully) focused questions.

May I ask for suggestions regarding natural styling products that are not tested on animals, and, in particular might provide better curl definition, help with clumping, and reduce frizz?

In addition, would anyone have suggestions for conditioners that meet the natural/ no animal testing criteria, but might provide better moisture than my current products without weighing my hair down?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions or advice from those more experienced. Also, as this is my first post, if anyone thinks it belongs elsewhere, would you please let me know? Thanks so much!!

Comments

• mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    Your hair sounds similar to mine in some ways. A lot of wavies have success with shampoo bars or a low-shampoo (sulfate-free) for washing instead of using a regular shampoo. I don't know if your shampoo has sulfates, but check the label. If it does, it's a harsh detergent that is probably the culprit behind the dryness and frizz.

Here is a list of great products that are silicone and sulfate free, and pretty much anything listed under health food store is going to be organic/more natural. Also, this is a good resource on a few natural non-shampoo ways to wash hair. I have never done an ACV rinse and I don't know if it cleans that well, but lemon juice mixed into conditioner works very well, and I know several people who are successful with baking soda.

Good luck!
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • rhosyn_durhosyn_du Posts: 99Registered Users
    For moisturizing, lightweight conditioners, I like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (a little bit of this one goes a long, long way) and Giovanni Direct Leave-In.

Another thing to consider, I know a lot of people around here swear by Suave conditioners for CO, but I found they weighed my hair down something fierce. VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze and Vanilla Mint Tea both worked much better for me, and they're both widely available and not tested on animals.
    2c, fine/medium with a few coarse grays, medium porosity, normal elasticity, protein-sensitive

Modified CG
    Low-Poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Shampoo
    RO: L'Oreal EverCurl Conditioner
    LOC: KCKT,
    Nightblooming Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil, & Nightblooming Panacea or Freya Hair Salve
    Styling: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Finishing Paste
  • bajagirlbajagirl Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks very much for your replies. The EO shampoo is sulfate-free - it's a Whole Foods-type product. The lists of 'safe' products are very helpful, but there are so many! And I know a lot of this is trial and error since everyone's hair is different, but I would love to try any favorites people have already identified as a "short-cut" to the HG :?. I will try the Aubrey conditioner for starters, and you may be right about the Sauve, so I'll try V05 as an alternative. Are there any particular shampoo bars that people find work well?

rhosyn_du, and mrl234, thanks again to both of you!

If anyone has other ideas, especially for styling products, please let me know!
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a southern CA wavy as well and I pot for kathymack or Chagrin Valley soap bars, karen's body beautiful hair milk as a conditioner and the nectar as a leave in. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky curly curling custard[/buylink] is all natural and works great too.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    helloitsio wrote: »
    I'm a southern CA wavy as well and I pot for kathymack or Chagrin Valley soap bars, karen's body beautiful hair milk as a conditioner and the nectar as a leave in. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky curly curling custard[/buylink] is all natural and works great too.
    Yes, I agree - I use kathymack's bars and Kinky Curly products. I have some of Karen's Body Beautiful's Super Silky on order (I'm avoiding the glycerin that's in the milk and nectar right now), so we'll see how that goes too. I love Karen's Hair Butter too. :D

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've gone "modified" CG. I need to Low-Poo once a week or so. I am really liking the CV Shampoo bars have had better luck with those than the Soap Bars that seemed to be harder to rinse out of my hair. You can see my siggie for the vast assortment of products I use!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • babybelbabybel Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have just started using the Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and it's great for my fine hair! Easy to detangle, keeps it moisturised and gives good curl and definition.
    2c babyfine high porosity UK curly, CG for two years 2008-2010, now back for a second round! Hair loves protein, hates any kind of oil! Conditioners: ASDA Apple or similar for co-wash. AOHR, Aubrey GBP, Giovanni Root 66, Giovanni DLI. Styling: a mix of equal parts Shockwaves Gel and a curl cream (LOOB, MopC, Naked or Boots Pink) Plop, products, 80% pixiecurl diffuse, air dry the rest, STC, a little gel spray for hold.
  • bajagirlbajagirl Posts: 4Registered Users
    So many choices! The KBB products look very nice. I think I may order one each of the milk, nectar, and super silky, since they are having a buy 2 get one free sale (I can never resist such offers). Anyone have a favorite fragrance? A lot of people seem to rave about the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] so I would like to try that, but it seems like a lot of $$ for an experiment. I wish they had a trial size. Oh, and I'm definitely going to look for the CV shampoo bars too.
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    I used coconut oil (cooking one) to get my hair in good condition. I used it as a DT over night. Other oils work well too for me.

I am liking the Giovanni range. Am using the tea tree range and the direct leave-in.

Mop Curling Cream is one of my fav products and is not tested on animals.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file