CurlTalk

Do you recycle?

aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Posts: 636Registered Users
I started recycling about 2-3 months ago when I discovered we had a center near where we live.

So far I recycle magazines, newspaper, glass, plastic, and aluminum cans.

I am just curious to know how many of you recycle.

I'm sorry if there has already been a thread on this topic. I did a search but came up with thousands of threads with "recycle" mentioned.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    My apartment complex offers onsite recycling. They even give us recycling bags to keep in our apartment with one section for newspaper and magazines and one for bottles, etc.

I don't recycle my magazines, because I leave them in the lobby at work for people to read.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    It has been a law here for years and years that you HAVE to separate recyclables from your garbage. They just pick it up curbside with your regular garbage. Along with that, every community in my state has a transfer station or recycling facility available to them to recycle everything from used oil to appliances and car batteries.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • msrebamsreba Posts: 143Registered Users
    Mandatory here here in seattle.
    Paper, glass, plastic, cans.
    Now we also have lawn/garden/food waste (vegetable matter) composting as well.
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    Our condo complex does not offer any kind of recycling containers whatsoever (which I think is pretty bad), however we try our best to collect our recyclables and take them to the city recycling center as often as possible. Admittedly we are lazier in the winter about it and haven't gone as often as we should.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
    If you had made an option:

“Yes; I’m a recycling fiend!”

I would have picked that one.

Seeing as you didn’t, I picked “Yes”. :wink:
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users
    Ditto what Mazey said - I'm in CT too.
  • MarMar Posts: 3,003Registered Users
    Yes-we don't have curbside recycling in our city,but we take our stuff to a place a few miles away.
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Posts: 1,628Registered Users
    I voted "yes" because I always recycle when I'm at college. But at home, we don't have a recycling center nearby OR curbside pickup currently.... so I just feel guilty as I toss my aluminum cans and plastic bottles.... :oops:
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • skywatcherskywatcher Posts: 429Registered Users
    We HAVE to recycle our paper here as well. As for cans, bottles, etc. that is optional, but I do & the money goes to my DD's show team(horseback riding).
    3a/2c
    Long layers, past BSL
    Loving: CON poo, Elucence MBC, Jessicurl WDT, B&A Gel.
    SLS free poos since Feb 6/05
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Absolutely. Everywhere I've lived since I was a kid has either had curbside recycling pick-up or condo/apartment recycling boxes.

I thought this was standard everywhere.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    We also have curbside recycling. The bins are actually dumpster sized. We don't have to seperate anything, just dump it in the dumpster. I've gotten a bit lax the last month or so, but usually my friends will tease me about my recycling habits. Like, the paper that covers tea bags goes in, as well as toilet and paper towel cardboard roll centers. Our particular collector will take all types of plastic, not just #1 or #2 like at my parents' house, so I can recycle a lot of stuff that other people can't.
    Growing up in the 70s, that commerical with the crying Indian apparently affected my whole family. My parents made regular trips to a recycle center to drop off bottles.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    yes, and i am impressed with you girls.
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    I only recycle cans, since there aren't any other types of facilities in my area. I recycle paper, in a way. I shred it and use it as bedding for my rat. Saves money.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • outtahereouttahere Posts: 343Registered Users
    I voted that I would, but I haven't seen any facilities nearby. The condos next door each have their own recycling box-thingees. I'm jealous; all we have are dumpsters. I feel like I should be doing more for the environment - I'm really good at conserving energy and water, and if I decide to have children in the future, I'm just having one. When I start earning some $$$, I'm going to give more to the wildlife conservation groups and spay/neuter groups like the Humane Society.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    we were recycling even before it became city-wide mandatory.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    Yes indeedy! Here in Chicago, we do the blue bag thing. It's not mandatory though. ( I wish it was)
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    We recycle aluminum cans, but nothing else. Our town doesn't have a recycling program, for some reason. So when we recycle our cans and stuff, we have to drive pretty far. It's a lot of work to just recycle a couple of things.

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Posts: 636Registered Users
    I saw an area for "oil" at our recycling center. Does that mean motor oils or can you also recycle cooking oils as well? Like when I use my deep fryer, can I recycle the old oil?

Also, when you recycle glass jars do you leave the metal lids on or should you take those off an put them in a "metals" bin?
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Mandatory here, but I recycled before it was mandatory. We have curbside pickup every 2 weeks. They even take clean paper, which considerably reduces the amount of garbage we throw away -- all that junk mail.

Oil is undoubtedly used motor oil, and I don't think you can put cooking oil in. Metal lids should be removed from the glass jars. I never have recyled the metal lids, though.
  • mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    Oh yeah, I forgot. Public libraries here have battery recycling bins so people can bring in their old/used batteries to be recycled. I don't know how many people take advantage of that,though. Thank goodness cause I wouldn't want to just throw out old batteries in the regular trash.
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Posts: 253Registered Users
    We have always done all the basics.... They don't pick up our batteries curbside though, and I do forget to bring those to a store bin. I had a huge bag of them lurking around in my car for weeks and I just gave up and threw them away when dh said he was worried about them leaking.

I go through our garbage pretty carefully, getting the toilet paper rolls and all. They make it very easy for us... it all goes in one huge rolling bin, no sorting of the basics like plastic, paper, cans. I can't imagine how they sort it all, though :?
    3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
    Formerly "Rainyday"
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    I recycle. Save the planet.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    It's mandatory here in NYC -- you'll get a fine if you throw away recyclables
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    I'm a big recycler. My husband doesn't understand many of the concepts and I waste a lot of time removing food contamination or non-recyclablyes from the recycling bin. It's pretty annoying, but heh, he hasn't lived outside of San Diego for 15 years. This town isn't exactly about recycling, but they are in search of a new landfill. :roll:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I'm a big recycler. My husband doesn't understand many of the concepts and I waste a lot of time removing food contamination or non-recyclablyes from the recycling bin. It's pretty annoying, but heh, he hasn't lived outside of San Diego for 15 years. This town isn't exactly about recycling, but they are in search of a new landfill. :roll:

I am a big recycler too. My DH is lacking in the conecpt too; but, at least your husband makes a little better effort than mine. He just throws everything in the garbage and I have to pick it out and clean it :roll:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Definatly! I actually just put the boxes out at the end of the driveway :D

I can't believe that it's not mandatory everywhere...that’s really disappointing :? Here you get fined if you throw recyclable stuff in with your normal trash.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Posts: 636Registered Users
    Do any of you know whether or not styrofoam gets recycled? I noticed on some styrofoam there is a little recycle sign with the number 6. I've been throwing it in with my plastics but wasn't sure that this was appropriate.

Does anyone know?
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Recycling has been mandatory for years now in NY.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Do any of you know whether or not styrofoam gets recycled? I noticed on some styrofoam there is a little recycle sign with the number 6. I've been throwing it in with my plastics but wasn't sure that this was appropriate.

Does anyone know?

I think you would need to ask your town or whoever collects the recycling. Different types of plastics may or may not be collected in different areas. My town collects plastic bottles but not styrofoam.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I don't recycle as much as I could. I donate stuff instead of throwing it out. I recycle aluminum. I don't get newspapers and I keep old magazines. I throw out plastic, but I have nowhere to take it(that I know of).