SUPER-FAIR redhead - need foundation help!!

CurlyKellyCurlyKelly Posts: 26Registered Users
Hey ladies...

My skin is a pain... I'm paler than pale (tanning is physically impossible - I've tried), freckled, with "peachy" undertones and coppery red hair. Most foundation brands don't have a shade light enough to match my skin (makes me orange!). For the past few years, I've been using a Prescriptives liquid foundation (virtual skin), dilluted a bit w/ a light moisturizer, so it doesn't look like a mask... this routine works okay, but I wish I could find something that didn't have to "mix" with something else, just to match my complexion!

Is there anyone out there with similar coloring (or anyone else who knows, for that matter) who's had success with a sheer, natural looking foundation for very fair skin?? Please help - thanks!!
long (mid-back), coppery reddish brown 3a/3b/3c (a few underneath!)

Creme of Nature poo (love that stuff!); Suave Citrus Smoothie Condish; A/G Re:Coil; Got2Be spiking gel; Suave Aloe Gel

Comments

• LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    I used to be able to wear Lancome's lightest shade. In liquid foundation, colorwise (though they break me out), I can wear Chanel and L'oreal Color-whatever it's called. The equivalent of Lancome's color-match. I haven't tried Lancome's but assume it would work too.

I generally wear Aromaleigh, which is a mineral foundation. With it, I don't even wear the lightest shade, and that's the only company I've found that to be the case with. So there is hope out there, even if you are paler than I am. And I am seriously pale. My nickname in high school was "Casper."
  • SmithsGirlSmithsGirl Posts: 100Registered Users
    I second that Aromaleigh recommendation. They have the best variety of shades for pale skin (or any skin tone, actually), and they sell small sample sizes, so you can buy two or three and figure out the perfect match for your skin.
    "In the days when you were hopeless and poor, I just liked you more."

formerly jodib70
    3a/3b, baby fine; growth goal: bra strap length.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I feel your pain. I am also super pale, no tanning ever without burning (not that I want to anyway). I have gone through a variety of foundations trying to find the right shade but the latest one I am working with isn't a foundation at all. It is a tinted moisturizer. I am using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer in Ivory to Fair. I was a little leary because it looks dark in the bottle and dark when you pump it out, but when I put it on my face it came out much lighter than it looked. I then set it with Loreal True Match Super Blendable Powder in W1 Porcelain (warm). That's it. Coverage is good, not too heavy and more importantly it matches. Perhaps that might be an option for you?
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • CurlyKellyCurlyKelly Posts: 26Registered Users
    I generally wear Aromaleigh, which is a mineral foundation. With it, I don't even wear the lightest shade, and that's the only company I've found that to be the case with. So there is hope out there, even if you are paler than I am. And I am seriously pale. My nickname in high school was "Casper."[/quote]

Oh, I am seriously pale alright... You're not the only one who had the nickname "Casper"!! I refused to wear shorts when I was in high school... aah, nothing like sweltering Houston summers in jeans!

I think I might try the Aromaleigh... is it as pricey as Bare Minerals?? That crap is so expensive!

Someone else mentioned the Neutrogena Healthy Skin tinted moisturizer... I JUST bought that (same color - Ivory to Fair/the lightest one) at CVS yesterday - I was very excited! Too bad it was still too dark on me (not bad, but you could definitely see that my face was a different color than my neck!).

Creme of Nature poo (love that stuff!); Suave Citrus Smoothie Condish; A/G Re:Coil; Got2Be spiking gel; Suave Aloe Gel
  • SmithsGirlSmithsGirl Posts: 100Registered Users
    Aromaleigh is far less expensive than Bare Minerals (though a little more pricey than L'oreal or Neutrogena), and it also lasts a long time. A jar of the mineral powder foundation will last me almost a year. I think she has a liquid or cream foundation now, too, though I still use the powder.

She also has awesome colors for lips, eyes and cheeks, and again, the sample sizes are perfect for trying before you buy.

http://www.aromaleigh.com
    "In the days when you were hopeless and poor, I just liked you more."

formerly jodib70
    3a/3b, baby fine; growth goal: bra strap length.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Someone else mentioned the Neutrogena Healthy Skin tinted moisturizer... I JUST bought that (same color - Ivory to Fair/the lightest one) at CVS yesterday - I was very excited! Too bad it was still too dark on me (not bad, but you could definitely see that my face was a different color than my neck!).

Oh that's too bad. I had hoped it might work for you.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
    CurlyKelly wrote:
    Oh, I am seriously pale alright... You're not the only one who had the nickname "Casper"!! I refused to wear shorts when I was in high school... aah, nothing like sweltering Houston summers in jeans!

I think I might try the Aromaleigh... is it as pricey as Bare Minerals?? That crap is so expensive!

Basically, what jodib said. It is cheaper than Bare Minerals. I want to say that it is $17 for the container, and the container has about twice as much in it as a Bare Minerals container. So a few dollars cheaper for more contents. And like she said, there are samples available. I would try levels 1 & 2, and maybe a sample of level 0, which is a pure white I think. So even if level 1 is too dark, you can lighten it further by mixing in the white. Also note that at each level, there are certain blends. Most people seem to do well with the Y/L (Yellow/Linen) blends. That's what I use. A combo of 2 parts 2 Y and 1 part 1 Y/L. Don't worry about it being complicated. It really isn't. If you find something you like, and it's a little too dark, or a little too light, blend in a little of the the next shade until you get it where you want it. Then swag out how much it took to blend. Good use of the samples.
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Another Casper here! I have dark hair and milky white skin that only burns and never tans. I use Aromaleigh Voile in Alabaster or 1Y/1L. I've also gotten great results mixing 50/50 Bare Escentuals' lightest color with Aromaleigh Alabaster.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • CurlyKellyCurlyKelly Posts: 26Registered Users
    Lucille wrote:
    CurlyKelly wrote:

Basically, what jodib said. It is cheaper than Bare Minerals. I want to say that it is $17 for the container, and the container has about twice as much in it as a Bare Minerals container. So a few dollars cheaper for more contents. And like she said, there are samples available. I would try levels 1 & 2, and maybe a sample of level 0, which is a pure white I think. So even if level 1 is too dark, you can lighten it further by mixing in the white. Also note that at each level, there are certain blends. Most people seem to do well with the Y/L (Yellow/Linen) blends. That's what I use. A combo of 2 parts 2 Y and 1 part 1 Y/L. Don't worry about it being complicated. It really isn't. If you find something you like, and it's a little too dark, or a little too light, blend in a little of the the next shade until you get it where you want it. Then swag out how much it took to blend. Good use of the samples.

Alright... y'all have convinced me - I just checked out the Aromaleigh site... what a color palette!! Wow! I've NEVER seen such a comprehensive selection of shades from a cosmetics brand! I am definitely going to order those samples... I will get several of the "colors" (yellow, neutral, etc.) in Level 1, along with the Alabaster to mix like you suggested (although I'm hoping I won't have to use it... damn, am I really THAT white??). I'm always confused about undertones... I always have assumed that I have "warm" undertones/coloring, since I have freckles, coppery hair & blue-green eyes. But when I look at my skin, it seems kind of "pink" to me - which is supposedly a sign of having "cool" undertones. If that's the case, I should dye my hair a medium ash brown and start wearing fuschia lipstick! HA! I'm confused on this... what am I not getting?

CurlyKelly wrote:
    Alright... y'all have convinced me - I just checked out the Aromaleigh site... what a color palette!! Wow! I've NEVER seen such a comprehensive selection of shades from a cosmetics brand! I am definitely going to order those samples... I will get several of the "colors" (yellow, neutral, etc.) in Level 1, along with the Alabaster to mix like you suggested (although I'm hoping I won't have to use it... damn, am I really THAT white??). I'm always confused about undertones... I always have assumed that I have "warm" undertones/coloring, since I have freckles, coppery hair & blue-green eyes. But when I look at my skin, it seems kind of "pink" to me - which is supposedly a sign of having "cool" undertones. If that's the case, I should dye my hair a medium ash brown and start wearing fuschia lipstick! HA! I'm confused on this... what am I not getting?

Supposedly very few people really have pink undertones, and most look better with a yellow-toned foundation. I tried the warm one, and I didn't like it nearly as much as the yellow or the yellow/linen blend.

I've heard that one way to tell your skin tone is to look at the veins on your arms. If most appear blue, pink undertones. If most appear green, yellow undertones. Mine are mostly green with a couple of blues. I look best in warm colors by far, except blue and purple. I think it's a little more individual.
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My veins are blue but they would be because I don't have strong pink or yellow tones in my skin. All the "cool" jewel tones look best on me but my skin isn't pink at all. AL 1Y/1L doesn't go on my skin looking yellow but the yellow in it helps neutralize allergy redness around my nose. I love that. The AL samples are great to experiment with. Each one lasts a loooong time.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
    Hehehe. I have mild rosacea; so I have some redness on my face. I have yellow undertones, but I'm pink in places. :lol: The Y and Y/L help tone that down, and that's what I like most about it too.
  • tnkrbll23etnkrbll23e Posts: 30Registered Users
    I am also super pale, with natural red hair that is coppery orange. I have hazel green eyes and freckles. When I went wedding dress shopping they told me I was too pale for a white dress.

I know you said it is very expensive but I use bare minerals. I really like it and it has lasted very long for me. I haven't found anything that matches me like it. I use Light. I find that if I buy it on QVC I get a better deal then in the store.
    Erin
    2B with one lonely 3A
    recovering Flat Iron Addict

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file