What about partly natural hair care?

EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
I'll only buy conditioners now containing no less than 3, but preferably a whole lot more of natural extracts, oils, proteins, acids, or whatnot.

But I don't go for anything with citric acid or grape seed oil for a preservative because I've read articles of studies showing they don't work.

I've at least dumped the sulfates & gone with the gentle surfactants like betaines & ingredients like citric acid for clarifying because I tried three shampoo bars & my hair didn't like any of them.

I just wish I could find mostly/partly natural ingredients of super hold styling cream/creme & gel. The flax seed gel I made in the past never worked for me. Jessicurl items don't work for me. Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel doesn't work for me. Shea butter is too heavy for my hair. What are my choices, what's left? Let me clarify, what is there that doesn't cost a fortune & need ordered via the phone or internet?

So, what about this partly natural hair care of mine, which is also partly curly-gal/guy routine since I don't do sulfates. Where do I fit in? :dontknow: :scratch:

Comments

• mrl234mrl234 Registered Users Posts: 548
    It depends...do you have access to a health food store? There's one down the street from me and while I assumed they'd all be incredibly expensive, there was a wide range of organic conditioners with a wide range of prices (some reasonable, some ridiculous) there. I now know I have several options once I run out of what I'm using now to find something more natural. Furthermore, some natural products are relatively easy to come by. As for the internet thing, there are some pretty cheap options online, if you're willing to try that out.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • CammybCammyb Registered Users Posts: 576 Curl Neophyte
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky-curly curling custard[/buylink] is an all natural gel. Giovonni has a gel which you can find at a health food store like Whole Foods, as well as Aubrey Organics B-5 Gel.
    uXBum4.png

"There’s just an certain aura a woman exudes when she has natural hair. She walks differently. Her swag is on full tilt. There’s a sense of confidence and je ne sais quoi that emanates from her spirit. Whatever it is it’s sexy as all hell and turns me on" -Anslem Samuel
    www.fotki.com/1cammyb
    www.piinkcamellias.blogspot.com
    www.youtube.com/1cammyb
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    I'm with you on the hold thing. All of my products are natural except my gel. For some reason my hair likes HESMU better than [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. I still have a lot of experimenting to do, but right now I can't let go of that gel!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kccc[/buylink] is FAB except for the HOLD factor. I've tried using it with BRHG, BOOTS and SMU and it's great for 1st day but 2nd day is just so-so. I'm going to try it with my Honegar Rinse and see if that gives me more hold with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]

I honestly don't know of a natural gel that holds great on it's own which is why I've gone "partly" natural myself! I'll let you know how the DM Honey Jelly turns out ;) It's reasonably priced, all her stuff is but I can't use any of the stuff I tried alone.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    There are 40 places listed under "Health & Diet Food Products - Retail" in my neck of the woods alone. Now I can't tell you if all of them carry personal care goods, but I know of several that do. And only one of them is the largest & my favorite.

I already have a queue of organic or botanical or vegan or apothecary or herbals rinse-out & leave-in conditioners:

Desert Essence Hydrating Shea Butter
    Lamas Soy Balancing
    Nature's Gate Asian Pear & Red Tea
    bio infusion curls & waves
    Pureology Anti Fade Complex Pure Volume
    Mop Top Lemon Sage
    Organix curling citrus mango
    sexy hair organics daily
    Trader Joe's nourish SPA
    C.O. Bigelow No 309 Not Your Ordinary Daily
    Mane 'n Tail Olive Oil Complex with Herbal Essentials
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky-Curly Knot Today[/buylink]
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin handmade Honey Hemp[/buylink]
    Giovanni Direct
    ABBA Nourishing

Pitiful, ain't it?! ;)
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know...I would love to always be "all natural", but I get better, long term results if I mix it up a bit. I'm modified CG-love to wash daily, will consider a water-soluble or non-sulfate-poo-removable 'cone on the rare occasion...when I do the totally natural thing, my hair tends to do the opposite of everyone else after a while-it gets limp, dull, less curly. Less curly doesn't even bother me-I love curls, but I love waves, too. I'm not necessarily trying to make my hair curlier, just healthy and healthy looking, not too frizzy with some volume...right now length is my obsession....and I have a great interest in ayurvedic treatments...I used to feel miserable that I didn't stick with the completely natural game plan, but I have to do what works for me-avoid the reallllly bad stuff, and incorporate the reallllly good stuff into the basics that work...
    Does the honey in the Honegar rinse knock down the smell of the vinegar any?

ETA: And I don't know if I can give up silicone because there are just too many products containing such.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe you've already checked it out but there's a Honegar thread in the Gen Discussion.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=62196

There was ZERO smell after I rinsed and contrary to what people say the ACV smell DID linger in my hair until it was completely dry. Didn't have this issue with the Honeygar though!! I chose to leave it in cuz I wanted the curling effect of the Honey but xcptnl and janeyliz both rinsed it out.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    I saw that, but didn't see the new replies after Miss Exceptional posted at #11. ;)

I just wonder how the honey reacts to the vinegar as far as when honey's diluted, it turns into hydrogen peroxide. I stopped using honey because I didn't want my hair lightened.

And doesn't vinegar strip color? I'm thinking of getting a temporary or semi-permanent red color to bring out the natural reds in my hair.
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Registered Users Posts: 1,680
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
    Very nice! Let us know how your experimenting turns out! :thumbup:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights