Honegar Rinse

xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
The last time I tried the honegar rinse (ACV/Honey/water mixture) I left it in and then put my leave in condish over it. My hair felt a bit yukky. Today I decided to try it again and I used it after my soap bar and put my rinse out condish over it - left in for a bit while I washed the rest of me then rinsed it all out and then put in my leave in. My hair was actually curling when I got out of the shower and my hair is typically stick straight when wet. So far it does not feel coated so this may be how I have to use this combo. Just thought I would share.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• janeylizjaneyliz Registered Users Posts: 777
    That's exactly what I do with it and I've been very happy with the results. And it smells a bit nicer than ordinary ACV!
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    DEFINITELY smells nicer than ACV. We can't get this in the USA (according to my local health food store) Luckily it's so easy to make! Equal parts of ACV and Honey put it in a container in a cool dark place ( I chose the Fridge) Take out what you want mix with water and spray or pour this lovely mixture on your head!! LOVELY stuff after the POO BAR!! I chose to not rinse it and it left NO SMELL in my hair.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Registered Users Posts: 779 Curl Neophyte
    ARGH! I so want to try this, but I'm scared to try honey because of the potential bleaching. :( I'm starting to think that I like humectants in my rinse-outs - just not my leave-ins. :sad11:

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
    You worry too much RED! It's not like you're going to be using cups of Honey. We're talking 1-2t at MOST, some people have used Molasses instead of Honey. Doesn't have the bleaching effect, not sure how that would mix with ACV though, you may have to do 2 separate rinses or put a dab of molasses in your condish?? This did work for me over the Summer but Honey works better For ME. Honey gives me a stronger hold than Molasses. In the Summer I was adding Honey to my condish and using it as a rinse.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    ARGH! I so want to try this, but I'm scared to try honey because of the potential bleaching. :( I'm starting to think that I like humectants in my rinse-outs - just not my leave-ins. :sad11:
    Hey Red since you're an Info Junkie thought you might find these links interesting. It talks about heating the honey 1st to avoid the lightening effect. Also on the LHC there's a lot of talk about Honey too :)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=53985&page=2

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148
    Discovered CG 2007

• CurlykeyCurlykey Registered Users Posts: 1,540 Curl Novice
    janeyliz wrote: »
    That's exactly what I do with it and I've been very happy with the results. And it smells a bit nicer than ordinary ACV!

I agree!! Much better smell, and great results!!
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • mrl234mrl234 Registered Users Posts: 548
    I've just tried this - I used my CV Cafe Moreno shampoo bar (which is fabulous, by the way), then I applied the honegar rinse, then I applied a little bit of my rinse out conditioner, combed it through, and rinsed with water, after which I scrunched out a little bit of water and put my gel in (HETT with a tiny dab of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]). The only complaint I have is that I can kind of smell it in my hair, but it's not very strong and we'll see if it's still like that when it dries. It did actually start to curl when I was getting out of the shower (the very ends, anyway), which is unusual for my hair, so this looks promising...
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
    YOU would worry TOO if YOUR hair color was the first thing people noticed about you!!!! :P

Thanks for the links - I'm doing the major research now to see if microwaving kills the stuff that releases hydrogen peroxide. If that's the case, I'm all in. :D Otherwise, no dice. I'd rather straighten my hair for a YEAR than damage my red!!!!! :D

M/C ii

After MUCH research... I'm fairly happy with this response: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=119678&postcount=883

I also found the original study that talks about hydrogen peroxide (inhibine) in honey being destroyed by heat: http://www.libraries.psu.edu/speccolls/FindingAids/whitePDF/Studies%20on%20Honey%20Inhibine%203%20Effect%20Of%20Heat.pdf

M/C ii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights