Placenta for Postpartum Depression / baby blues

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
Granted this is totally anectodal, but I just wanted to report that I think these are working for me. I'm not experiencing the hormonal/emotional rollarcoaster like last time.

I'm taking 2 capsules 3x a day.
hello.world.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    webjockey wrote: »
    Granted this is totally anectodal, but I just wanted to report that I think these are working for me. I'm not experiencing the hormonal/emotional rollarcoaster like last time.

I'm taking 2 capsules 3x a day.

How did you make them?
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    my midwife dried it in one of those food deyhdrators, ground them up and put them in capsules. I ended up with a 15 day supply.
    hello.world.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    shocking.gif
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    my midwife dried it in one of those food deyhdrators, ground them up and put them in capsules. I ended up with a 15 day supply.

That's a nice service for her to offer. I do think there is something to that. Humans are practically the only mammal species that doesn't eat the placenta anymore, and that's probably for social reasons rather than evolutionary reasons, so it makes sense that there might be something in placenta that we actually need.

Or, it just might be a placebo affect and you wouldn't have had baby-blues this time anyway. Either way, enjoy your more calm post-partum.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i so wish i had done this. i had postpartum depression in a major way.

i wasn't sure what in the heck i wanted to do with mine, so it's still in the freezer. by the time i had heard of this, it was already frozen. i had heard of doing it in the context of chinese medicine, and i feel like it's not 'live' enough in terms of chi, potency, etc. i'm still going to check into it. i have heard that you can actually save them and they can help with menopausal symptoms later on as well. this also makes perfect sense from a chinese medicine standpoint, because it is thought that some of the defecits that can come about in the postpartum period can have effects that last throughout a woman's life and affect her during that period as well.

i'm glad it is helping you, webbie!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users

It would be nice if most women had a midwife who provided this service. In the absence of such an arrangement, can placenta capsules be purchased at the health food store?
    medussa wrote: »

It would be nice if most women had a midwife who provided this service. In the absence of such an arrangement, can placenta capsules be purchased at the health food store?

Uh...no. That would be an FDA nightmare. Placentas are a human organ...and we don't usually eat other people's placentas.

Uh...no. That would be an FDA nightmare. Placentas are a human organ...and we don't usually eat other people's placentas.

Thanks for the info, RCW. Helpful, as always.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    mayim wrote: »
    i so wish i had done this. i had postpartum depression in a major way.

i wasn't sure what in the heck i wanted to do with mine, so it's still in the freezer. by the time i had heard of this, it was already frozen. i had heard of doing it in the context of chinese medicine, and i feel like it's not 'live' enough in terms of chi, potency, etc. i'm still going to check into it. i have heard that you can actually save them and they can help with menopausal symptoms later on as well. this also makes perfect sense from a chinese medicine standpoint, because it is thought that some of the defecits that can come about in the postpartum period can have effects that last throughout a woman's life and affect her during that period as well.

i'm glad it is helping you, webbie!

m

I thought about saving it for menopause, but how would you ensure that it was still "fresh" enough? Since most herbal stuff has a shelf life, I thought the same would apply for dried out placenta. I wasn't willing to chance it, and I only got a 15 day supply anyway.

I really don't think it's placebo effect because before it was prepared, I would get that same sadness feeling everytime I would breastfeed. Clearly something hormonal and not emotional. Once I started taking them, I didn't have that feeling.

forgot to mention, she also ground up some ginger in the capsules. Something about warming and grounding... I'm not up on my chinese medicine.

I still have Alexander's placenta in the freezer, which I plan on burying at some point. I do feel a tiny but guilty for not treating them both the same.
    hello.world.
  • MagooMagoo Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is so interesting! I feel like I was so uneducated about my options when I was pregnant/delivered my son. I had the baby blues big time after my son was born. Where do you guys find out about all this stuff? I'd love to read up on it.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    hi all,

i wanted to bump this thread with my experience, in case it can be helpful to someone. if you're at all inclined toward this idea, and are concerned about the prospect of ppd, i heartily recommend it. the short version is this:

my ppd was lingering and still affecting me a great deal, so i gave it a go even though lydia's placenta had been frozen for 18 months, and it has helped me feel tremendously better in a very dramatic way.

the (extremely) long version follows (i cut and pasted from a message i sent to my midwives and doula) -

hi my favorite birth women of all time!

i had something i wanted to share with you in case it might prove useful to someone else. i think i shared with at least anna that i was struggling with ppd symptoms that started around the time lydia was 10 weeks old. i think it was around then that the accumulated sleep deprivation just bowled me over completely. i think i was definitely predisposed – history of low grade depression, family history of mental health issues, somewhat stressful pregnancy (money and being without [s.o.] for the first part, etc.), and then maybe not as much postpartum support as would have been good (and definitely a huge lack of nurturing from my own mama).

so ... reluctant to go on meds, i tried other things – placing a primacy on getting 8 hours a night ([s.o.] started giving her pumped bottles at night, night weaned her at around 7 or 8 months), exercise, getting out more and did some acupuncture and chinese herbs. i also got some therapy through [a local parenting support agency], which was so/so.

though all of this helped when i was at my lowest, and i started at least being able to function and was at least no longer feeling suicidal/delusional. however, the depression continued to wax and wane. i still felt very agitated, anxious, fatigued, paranoid/low self esteem stuff, vaguely hopeless, difficulty sleeping, etc. just this overall ennui that seemed to keep bubbling beneath the surface.

recently i started tipping toward being more unwell, i think precipitated by some sleep deprivation. i was back to crying jags, raging at [s.o.], and feeling super anxious. i checked out some books from the library, one of them called ‘sleepless days’ by susan kushner resnick (a very good read). and it dawned on me that the ppd had just never really resolved.

i called postpartum support international again to get some referrals, thinking perhaps it might be time to look at the idea of taking medication again. lydia is only nursing 3-4 times a day these days, and though i wanted to hang on until she weaned or at least two, i figured i had at least given her this much, and it wouldn’t be as hard to take as it would have at the beginning.

i started researching online, and particularly found some helpful posts on the forum for mothering magazine. i stumbled across the idea of consuming the placenta as a prevention for ppd, and remembered that the acupuncturist and i had discussed it. even though it was frozen, he mentioned that it might not hurt to prepare it for encapsulation and take it. he explained the process, and at the time it seemed like a lot of work for something that might not have any effect, and since i was feeling somewhat better, i didn’t do it.

i read some reports of women who were desperate, and went ahead and prepared it even though it had been frozen as long as lydia’s has, and i figured what the heck. so yesterday i prepared it (thawed, rinsed, steamed 15 mins on each side over water with ginger, hot chile, and lemon/lime – then sliced thinly and dried on a cookie sheet for about 8 hours until it was brittle - i did it with the pilot on the gas stove and others use a food dehydrator - then ground up).

i’m either too lazy or busy to encapsulate it, so i’ve been taking ¼ tsp. with a spoonful of honey three times a day. it might seem crazy to say but i have felt immediately better. perhaps it’s placebo, who knows – but i feel calm, relaxed, not anxious at all, and have been sleeping so peacefully. i actually feel happy for the first time since i don’t remember when and all of my senses are back in focus. when i was laughing with lydia at the park today, i didn’t feel like a part of my was having to force it. the difference is completely dramatic.

what i found interesting in my reading was to find that research is showing the placenta excretes an anti-stress hormone (corticotropin releasing hormone) and floods the body with it so much that it stops producing its own. after the baby is born, it needs a jump start of some kind to tell it to turn back on again. could that be the purpose mammals have in ingesting the placenta? i read that chimps do it but not all of them. do you think they know whether they need it? maybe if you are more stressed during pregnancy your placenta has released more of it, increasing the risk for ppd afterward? who knows.

oh, and the other interesting thing i read was that steroid hormones survive at temperatures below 100 degrees. maybe that’s why cooking (warming it, according to chinese medicine) it at a low temp works?

i’m sure you guys are aware of all of this, but i just wanted to share how amazingly invaluable it has been for me. i’m sure it would be even more potent and useful for preventing ppd right after birth. thank goodness we shlepped it all the way to [the midwest from california]!

anyway, sorry this is so long, and i hope you are all well.

much love,

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    glad to hear that you are feeling better.

have you settled from the move? did you get that job you posted about a few months ago? (sorry for all of the questions....)
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • wild~hairwild~hair Curl Neophyte Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Although it seems unlikely I will ever have kids, as someone who has suffered from depression I find this all fascinating.
  • KaiaKaia Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I did this, and I'm wondering if it didn't work or if my PPD would have been even worse otherwise.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Must say this freaks me out... but it's very interesting at the same time. I would definitely be more inclined to try capsules rather than feasting on it after the birth. :)
    DPTFm5.png
    Rheanna wrote: »
    Must say this freaks me out... but it's very interesting at the same time. I would definitely be more inclined to try capsules rather than feasting on it after the birth. :)

You can make the capsules yourself. Just bring the placenta home from the hospital (if you stay in the hospital for more than a day, send someone home with it to keep it fresher...have them wrap it well in plastic and a freezer bag, and put it into your freezer til you have time to deal with it).

There are all sorts of directions on the internet telling you how to do it, but basically, you need to dehydrate the placenta (either with a food dehydrator, or in the oven on a low temp for a long period of time), and then pulverize it into powder and scoop it into capsules and take the capsules several times a day over the first few weeks.

Voila...you're very own personalized anti-depression, anti-anemia medicine.
    Just bring the placenta home from the hospital

Really, just like that? Walk out of the hospital with your own placenta? I'm incredulous because I've had to jump through a couple of hoops just to get a copy of my own medical records. I can only imagine what I would have had to do to get my own placenta. *******s.
    Just bring the placenta home from the hospital

Really, just like that? Walk out of the hospital with your own placenta? I'm incredulous because I've had to jump through a couple of hoops just to get a copy of my own medical records. I can only imagine what I would have had to do to get my own placenta. *******s.

It's yours. Most women do not ask for it, but unless the hospital needs to send the placenta to pathology because there was a serious problem, just ask for it. Most of them just get thrown away.
  • KaiaKaia Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just gotta remind them that you want it when it comes out, or they may plunk it into some formaldehyde out of habit. Wouldn't want to consume it in any form after that. ;)

They may ask you what you're planning to do with it, though you are perfectly entitled to say it's none of their business. If you're worried about them not letting you have it, say you're going to plant it with a tree. That's quite popular now.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file