all natural on a college budget

mrl234mrl234 Registered Users Posts: 548
Hey all,

While I'm currently using up the remainder of the (non-natural or organic) conditioners and products I have, I'm interested in slowly converting my routine to a more naturally based one. However, I've noticed that most organic and natural conditioners and products are really expensive, and I'm a college student with limited resources/money.

So, 2 questions...

1. Can anyone recommend any CG, protein-free (I'm sensitive to it) organic conditioners for co-washing that are also relatively affordable? Or, alternately, what all-natural method do you use to wash your hair?

2. I intend to try the KBB stuff for rinse outs and leave ins - for a fine-to-medium textured 2C, what do you recommend? My hair is dry but gets weighed down pretty easily, if that helps.
:happy10:
fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
CGish since 10-16-08
Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)

Comments

• mrl234mrl234 Registered Users Posts: 548
    Oh, didn't mention - I've ordered a CV shampoo bar because I'm having some oiliness at the scalp issues now that I'm working out more. Have people had success with these?
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    I'm also on a college budget (though admittedly I've splurged in the last few weeks), and moving towards natural products, so maybe I can help!

1. Right now I'm using soap bars instead of co-washing. I'm switching between one from Flower Moon and another from Naturally Up North on etsy (which are a great deal and she sent me a free bar!). I follow it with an organic ACV rinse. If you have a Whole Foods or another natural food store nearby, go check out their hair aisle. I was amazed when I went a few weeks ago. They have a good-sized selection with prices comparable to those at drug stores. I got Alba's leave-in, which I've been liking a lot.

2. I have fine-to-medium hair that doesn't do well with oils. While I like both the milk and the nectar, I prefer the nectar because of the lowered oil content. It works well as both a rinse-out and a leave-in. I want to try the new silky smooth, but definitely can't afford to splurge on anything else right now. I've also tried their cream, but it's always weighed me down, no matter how little I try.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • tctc Registered Users Posts: 986
    do you have a Whole Foods nearby??

32-ounce bottle of Whole Foods 365 conditioner is about $5. It is all-natural, CG-approved, and protein-free. I use it as a hair wash, body wash, and shaving cream. very lightweight - great for co-washing.

The only other thing I use in the shower is Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner (also all-natural, protein-free and CG) - $10 for 10 ounces but one bottle lasts 4-6 months because I only need a dime-sized amount for my thick shoulder-length hair. It's a very very heavy conditioner that I use to prevent frizz and puffiness after I wash my hair with the 365 stuff.
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Registered Users Posts: 1,680
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • ShoshiRoseShoshiRose Registered Users Posts: 18
    I'm another college student trying to avoid bad chemicals on a budget. So far, I'm still experimenting but I second the Aubrey Organics recommendation. I use Honeysuckle Rose and even my conditioner thirsty hair doesn't need much.
    Be not another if thou canst be thyself.
    -Paracelcus

http://public.fotki.com/ShoshiRose/
    password: frizzy
  • ShoshiRoseShoshiRose Registered Users Posts: 18
    PS What does KBB stand for?
    Be not another if thou canst be thyself.
    -Paracelcus

http://public.fotki.com/ShoshiRose/
    password: frizzy
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Karen's Body Beautiful. There's a huge thread about it in the product review section.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file