Reincarnation

battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
I seriously think I was born in the wrong time period. I identify very strongly with the culture and mindset of the late 1920s and early 1930s. I have no idea why - I don't think I'm reincarnated or anything like that...but I sometimes feel like I have someone else's thoughts and memories in my head.

Do you think it is possible to "inherit" memories? A lot of ancient cultures believe it is, and I think I believe it. Why not? We inherit chromosomes and personality traits, why not memories too?

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    tantrum wrote: »
    I seriously think I was born in the wrong time period. I identify very strongly with the culture and mindset of the late 1920s and early 1930s. I have no idea why - I don't think I'm reincarnated or anything like that...but I sometimes feel like I have someone else's thoughts and memories in my head.

Do you think it is possible to "inherit" memories? A lot of ancient cultures believe it is, and I think I believe it. Why not? We inherit chromosomes and personality traits, why not memories too?

No, I don't believe we inherit memories. We may have some inborn responses, that are part of our basic brain functions, that may influence our responses to things, but I don't think we have knowledge of someone else's personal experiences...unless they tell us about them.

I have a lot of knowledge of the early 1900's, things like pop culture and technology and fashion of the day, societal norms, etc., mostly because, as a child, I sat with my grandmother for hours and hours and hours while she told me her life experiences. I like a lot of things about that era, and feel very close to it, but I didn't live it, grandma did.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I've never thought about inheriting memories, but I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of reincarnation.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • mycolorfulheartmycolorfulheart Posts: 158Registered Users
    My first thought was how could you know you identify with the culture and mindset of the 20's/30's if you never lived it? I know alot of people who say they wished they lived in older days, but how a society represents itself through media and word of mouth history can be totally different from how that society really felt and functioned. I think a good example would be movies about highschool, like 10 Things I Hate about You, I always thought those movies were so unrealistic, and yet that's how our society talks about and represents highschool.

That said, I think that lots of things are possible. I think that inheriting memories is possible, reincarnation is certainly possible as well. Your mind can also play tricks on you, where you'll imagine or dream something and years later you think it really happened. I've had that happen to me before. We view reality through this amazing but flawed lens, our brains.
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    Well, it's rare for someone to say... "I think I was a barmaid with syphilis in the dark ages", or "i think I was spartan slavery (helotry) during the a 8th and the 7th centuries BC." It's always the 20's, the 60's... times of enlightenment and enrichment.

I think it's easy to romanticize the good old days. Especially when it's the more attractive ages, the ones that are a renaissance of sorts... incredible works of art, high fashion, leaps and bounds in technology, progressive thinking, etc. I've wished that I could have been there. I feel I could have contributed and have been a part of the magic. I do feel a connectedness, but no, I know I was never there.
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    Oh, I'm not romanticizing it. I don't think it was a great time to live. Nor would I personally want to live during that period - women and minorities were oppressed, workers were abused, educational opportunities were nearly out of reach, and live in general was just tougher. I don't think there's anything romantic about it, and I've never actually felt I was "there"...more like a weird feeling that I had part of someone else's memories of that time. I can't explain it better than that. It's very strange.

My grandparents were not alive during this time, and regardless, they never talked about their younger years. I have no idea where these odd feelings come from.
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    I think that there are lots of pieces of "energy" floating around that people can pick up on. Maybe you're being exposed to something right now that is making you feel this way.

I can't define or explain this, it's just something that I feel once in awhile...especially one time I was walking in the woods with my SO, and we were taking a break. We were talking but then fell silent...when we got walking again, I said, "I don't know what just happened by I felt really weird and disconnected for a minute," and my SO said he felt the same thing.

I just think that there are things going on that we don't sense or just partially sense and pick up on.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file