teachers

discobugdiscobug Posts: 404Registered Users
Are there any other teachers on here?
I teach 7th grade reading and I'm hating it right now, think it's the school but I'm not sure.
Any thoughts? I do have a masters in reading/education, what else can I do with this degree?
Thanks for any help! :read2:
Hair Type-3b Location: Florida
John 3:16
Poo: Jessicurl HCC, As I Am
Conditioners: Aubrey Organics, KCKT, CJ HBDT, Darcy's Botanicals
Leave In/Styling: KCCC, Darcy's Botanicals, SS
Favorites (HG): KCCC; spiral solutions jelly; darcy's botanicals, FSG
No-No's: castor oil, beeswax, glycerine, silicones
LOVE: aloe vera, agave nectar, shea butter, flax seed gel; good DT's once a week
http://public.fotki.com/discobug71/
password: curly

Comments

• SarahMarieSarahMarie Posts: 901Registered Users
    I teach 5th grade math, science, and social studies. I LOVE my job....but I really like the school I'm at and my coworkers. I could not imagine working at a school I didn't like or with other teachers or a principal who were no good.

I know that we have a position, it changes names, I think this year they're calling it "literacy coach" that might be something you could look into. I'm not sure if you have something like that where you teach. You get to deal with kids, but not in the classroom constantly. You mostly deal with helping other reading teachers and finding resources for them. Are you wanting to stay in the schools or do you want something completely different? Where do you teach, if you don't mind me asking?
  • discobugdiscobug Posts: 404Registered Users
    Thanks for your reply. I teach at a middle school in Florida. I am so miserable this year and I think it's the school b/c I have a good rapport with my students.
    We have what's called a reading coach at our school, but she is a tyrant and nothing makes her happy. I have done nothing but be kind and bend over backwards for her and she just picks me apart.

For example, I decided to start implementing literature circles into my class routine. I read the book almost in it's entirity (the one from scholastic) by people who have done them and it basically tells about everything necessary to implement them properly and with success as well as make sure they are truly literature circles. I have to finish my TIP training (a new teacher thing for the state even though I'm not new, I'm new to the county) and our reading coach (RC) came in to observe me. It's a long story but she didn't like what I did so I had to re-do it and then she missed that so she came to watch something else and I truly wasn't prepared for an observation. Anyway, I thought it went well and afterward she picked me to pieces. She told me I didn't model it correctly; I should have used a different passage for reading and teaching the "roles" of lit circles (using Maniac Magee, very short chapters); I need to choose a tier 3 book (tier 3 is regular or gen. ed. kids who don't need intensive instruction or support in the various areas of reading); I need to be doing different things with each class (I have 180 students over 6 class periods or average of 32-25 students per class); I didn't ask enough "high level questions" (after ONE observation); there were many other things and only a couple of positive things, one about my personality being calm or something, but I think she was digging for that one b/c it didn't feel genuine. She blasted me and then threw in the good comments at the end and gave me a few backhanded compliments.
    Our school expects us to do "small group instruction" to "differentiate" for our students. That is that I work with the lowest students (6-8 or so) and the rest are all working in groups on different things based on what they need. They are all so low I'm basically focusing on FCAT skills. Anyway, it is basically impossible to have one group for any length of time b/c the others get off task and I have fairly good classroom management.

Oh, the worst is yet to come; I have to video tape myself and watch it with her. :sad11: I am DREADING it. can you imagine what she will say while we watch it? I shudder to think.

Sorry so long, aren't you glad you asked? LOL
    I don't want to stay in the classroom, at least within this level. I think I want high school or maybe community college, not sure. I definitely don't want literacy or reading coach and with the severe budget cuts I will be lucky to even have a job next year b/c I'm not tenured until after next year.
    So now that I've written a small novel..... (and I do apologize for that)
    I don't know where to go from here or what to do.
    And my husband's new business is a mess, his bus. partner wants him to look for a job and leave the company so it just sucks all the way around.

I'm hoping to get into the florida virtual school b/c it would mean a pay increase of about 5 grand a year.

Thanks for inquiring, hope I didn't scare you off!! :idea1:
    LOVE: aloe vera, agave nectar, shea butter, flax seed gel; good DT's once a week
    I'm glad I don't teach reading actually. We have the literacy coach and I've heard she's a lot like yours, except nicer. She's actually supposed to come into my social studies class to observe and help me out. They want us to try all new ways of teaching. I think that should be a class by class basis, and not....everyone MUST do menus!

I'm also supposed to focus on small groups and have the exact same problem you do. I'm focusing on basic skills with them while other groups work independently. How long can they really just work by themselves though? They get bored and I feel like I haven't spent enough time doing enrichment stuff with those who are higher. Maybe I'm just feeling this way because of my class composition this year. Last year, I had all low readers and low level ELL kids. This year, my class is extremely diverse. I have kids who don't know their alphabet in English yet, and those who are on a 10th grade reading level. What do I do??

So is this your first year at a new school? That might have something to do with it. How are the other teachers and principal there? Is it the kids, the faculty, the reading coach, or just the school in general that you don't like?
    I think it's the school in general; this is my 2nd year at the school. I tried to get into the new school they just built about 5 min. from my house but it didn't happen. My friend got in and keeps telling me how nice and different it is. I really think it's our administration b/c our math coach came up to me at the end of the year and told me "all schools aren't like this so don't base your opinion on this experience"--and I've heard how happy others are once they move on. I desperately want out but with all the cuts (another 12 million by next month/end of this year, and worse next year) I don't know if that's possible.

So you are supposed to do small groups too? I learned in grad school to group them heterogeneously (the high ones help the low ones) and then I work with my lowest on a rotational basis (lowest in each of my four larger groups). But our reading coach wants me to group them homogeneously and by need; my argument is how will they help one another if it's supposed to be cooperative grouping? How on earth can they help each other if they are all struggling with the same thing? That makes no sense and actually heterogeneoulsy grouping is more current based on research findings and what works--but I wasn't about to argue that with her since she obviously has decided that what I do isn't good enough and I feel like she just doesn't like me.

Our principal is more like a tyrant and a coward. There isn't enough discipline and backing for us. I just think I need to move on and hopefully I will find some joy in this profession. I hope it's just that and not teaching altoghether. We are bullied around and told how to do things, we are treated with absolutely NO respect.

Thanks for listening! :goofy:
    I'm sorry! I wouldn't be happy at all in a school with no backing from the principal. I think a good principal is key to a successful school. It sounds like you just need to teach at a different school. It sounds pretty bad if the math coach is telling you that not all schools are like that.

I had an interim position teaching 6th grade for a couple of months before I came to the school I'm at now. The principal was nice enough, but she was very young so I think she especially wanted to please everyone. You can't make everyone happy! Otherwise, you end up like her, saying one thing to the teachers and the opposite to the parents so you don't offend anyone.

Is there any way that maybe early next semester, you can start applying to other schools? If you like teaching, don't give up on it just because you're in a bad school.
    About the grouping of students, I think "they" keep changing their minds on which way works. It gets really frustrating! Like I said earlier, I don't think there is any one set thing that works for every teacher and every class anyway. I think you have to get the feel for what your individual class needs and adjust each year.
    I totally agree and I wish the "powers that be" would see that! They mandate us to teach a certain way and it is annoying; what the heck do I have all this training for if I can't use my judgement on what kids need? FCAT is putting a lot of pressure on me this year; last year's 6th graders went down and I have them this year and our school grade is riding on it. Last yr. our school grade had dropped from an A to a C, then this year back to a B, and now they are on us to raise it to A status again, it's almost more pressure than I can bear.
    I plan to apply for a lot of other positions and I plan on going to our in county transfer fair but with the cuts coming it doesn't look too good so I'm really depressed. :sad11:
    Thanks for listening!!
    Awwww....I'll be thinking about you. Good luck! I hear you with the testing; we have TCAP's, same deal.
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    Poor thing. A good administration can make or break a school. Does FL have charter or magnet schools? Our kids are in a charter school here in CO and we love it. It started in Sept 2001, so it took a couple of years to get administration/staff/teachers settled in...we had some turnover, but a majority of the teachers have stayed. My kids love it, we love and it and they are getting an excellent education there...some of our local schools are good, but we have been in the top 3 HS in the state since the first year, top HS 2 or 3 of our years. We are friends with the assistant principal and his wife, and know other teachers pretty well and get feedback on what is going on...and they do like it also.

New principal this year, but he's been at the school since the beginning and we've had a smooth transition.

Good luck,

Susan
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SarahMarie wrote: »
    I'm sorry! I wouldn't be happy at all in a school with no backing from the principal. I think a good principal is key to a successful school. It sounds like you just need to teach at a different school. It sounds pretty bad if the math coach is telling you that not all schools are like that.
    I teach fourth grade. :) Discobug - we are on the same wavelength these days, LOL!

I LOVE my principal and coworkers. That's 9/10 of the battle. I work with a tough population, but I picked it because of the specific difficulties they have. I think a good fit is crucial to teacher success. Teaching is too hard otherwise.

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
  • melloweermelloweer Posts: 2,308Registered Users
    Just a quick note....I'd go back and edit out the names of your school. Just to keep yourself safe and anonymous. I've heard of people getting fired based on what they posted online.....

Also I'm not a teacher but I work at an elementary school as an IA. I've got a 2nd grader and 7th grader who are both GT. So my 2 cents about grouping kids together is that they need to be grouped in like ability. From my mom viewpoint grouping kids with high ability with kids that are on the low end, doesn't help the high end kids at all and only benefits the low end kids. I hope that doesn't sound bad because I don't mean it like that. But only 1 group of kids can benefit from grouping them together. Now at school I do remediation with kids on the low end. I go into their classrooms and work with them, and I pull them into mine and do lessons. Does your school not have special education or low achievement support in place to help during these center times?
    I don't know about discobug, but at my school, we do not have aides or any volunteers come in to work with the lower kids. I worked at a school that did, but it was in a wealthier area. I guess with financial issues, they cut this?
    Thanks for the suggestion, I edited the information out for protection.
    We don't have aides or anything like that. I have over 30 students per class and ability grouping at that level causes problems big time; all my behavior problems are the "low" kids and they cannot be grouped together like the reading coach wants. I do a mix, mostly by behavior b/c it's about survival.
    In education theory and practice are very disconnected; ideas sound great but many of them aren't practical with the way classes are set up. We are having a huge budget crisis here; another 7 million is being cut this month and it's supposed to be 12 million by the end of this school year and next year, well, I don't think I will have a job next year. I'm not tenured and I think reading will be cut b/c of the lack of funding. In Florida voters passed a cut on property taxes (which won't save them very much money) and the cut is what funds public education. It's a real mess here; the morale, lack of support, demands, work load, less time, no help, I HATE IT and I WANT OUT of it. I can't believe I went back and got a master's degree, for WHAT? What a total waste of time and money! And, there are talks of cutting teacher's salaries. I'm working on last year's salary and I am not even at 40K!!
    Sorry, had to vent there....anyway, it's depressing. I can teach community college and I'm going to try to get into that.
    Thanks for the help and suggestions, I may try the charter school route too but with the budget cuts it isn't pretty. I may move over to the next county where it's better pay and just better all around and not that much farther for me.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I've been meaning to post on this thread for a couple days and am just now getting around to it.

I'm a math teacher. I taught high school for two years and didn't like it. A lot of that was probably my own fault for not mastering the discipline problems, but there were a lot of issues with my school too. The school was dealing with a lot of transition. In the two years I taught there, we got a new principal, new assistant principal, and the chair of the math department changed twice. We got new math textbooks and were revising the curriculum of the classes I taught, so I had very little guidance on what and how I was supposed to be teaching. We also didn't have a coherent discipline policy. We were supposedly using BIST, but it wasn't very well supported, plus students who got in trouble would get different consequences depending on which principal dealt with them. At the same time, all the teachers were micro-managed on several of our school improvement initiatives and had to provide documentation that we were using certain reading strategies, implementing technology, etc. It was a mess--just writing all this out makes me glad I'm not working there any longer!

Now I am teaching math at a community college and I love it. I'm part-time because I want to be home with my kids, but I might be able to get promoted into a full-time position next year. If I do become a full-time faculty member, I will have to serve on committees and deal with some administrative issues that part-time instructors don't have, but the difference between here and my old high school is just night and day. Discipline problems are non-existent. My curriculum is well-defined, and I'm not micro-managed on how I teach it. There's no dealing with parents, although that didn't usually bother me at high school, but it could sometimes be stressful. Discobug, if you can pursue a position at a community college, I recommend it.

Good luck!
    ehLB.jpg
    Thank you so much for your help, all of you b/c I certainly don't get it from my school. The lack of support there is really kind of pathetic.

I don't have too many major discipline problems, I've worked hard to build the rapport with my students and it's paid off for me. 7th graders still want to please to some degree, although there are some obviously that don't. I really enjoy my kids, they are goofy at this age and I think they are checked out b/c I have to repeat things and now I just don't repeat b/c I tell them beforehand I'm giving directions. If I hear I'm confused I help and clarify, if I hear "what are we supposed to do" I tell them to ask someone who was listening.
    I can't believe how many of them still call out my name when they want something; I ignore them and then if they don't stop I remind them to follow prodcedures if they want something.

It sounds refreshing to work with older kids either high school or community college, although high school scares me. I'm home today b/c my little one is sick.
    Thanks everyone! :flower:
    hehehe sorry for the giggles but my son is also in 7th grade. Here's what I've learned about 7th graders....everything they are doing is because they are going the puberty.......GIRLLLLLLLLLL they lose their brains I swear to you. Common sense stuff can go out the window at any moment, and there are A LOT of moments. So I believe it for sure they are just calling out your name instead of raising hands, doesn't that just drive you nuts. 3rd graders do it like crazy drives me batty! My son ran in front of a car, after looking both ways before he crossed the street (got to love the non common sense moments) As far as repeating I'm telling ya I have to repeat myself to my son multiple times, even simple basic things. It's like they don't register what you say the first 100 times :)

Now before puberty hit he wasn't like that at all. Seriously he's a fantasicly behaved kid. You'd tell him 1 time and he'd hear you/do it. Was very polite with his manners. Was so aware of what happened around him.

Then puberty struck :)

Lol when I first read your post the other day I remember thinking oh dayam she works with 7th graders. I can handle a handful max, but 30 of them with no aides to assist in any way.....I would need mega prayers. Now that's not saying they are bad....they are great, but they sure are corny!!
  • KindredGhost1983KindredGhost1983 Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    I teach preschoolers with severe/profound disabilities. I love love love love love my job. I'm also at a private school for students with special needs. And YES, a good admin can make or break a program. My admin is very very supportive. So are the other teachers I work with.

I wouldn't date teach special ed in a public school. Teachers tend to be largely ignored by both amin and other teachers. Bleah
    Curlies add me on myspace!

www.myspace.com/agilruth
  • KindredGhost1983KindredGhost1983 Posts: 1,187Registered Users
    discobug wrote: »
    Are there any other teachers on here?
    I teach 7th grade reading and I'm hating it right now, think it's the school but I'm not sure.
    Any thoughts? I do have a masters in reading/education, what else can I do with this degree?
    Thanks for any help! :read2:

You could probably become a reading specialist with your degree. You'd work more one on one with students, or with them in small groups. I thought about doing this at one time
    Curlies add me on myspace!

www.myspace.com/agilruth
    I wanted to add to the 7th grade hormones comments. I teach at a school that is 5-8. The 5th and 6th grade hallway is drastically different than the 7th and 8th grade hallway. It's like the kids lose their minds when they move across the school. Kids who were little angels in 5th and 6th grade become obsessed with the opposite sex. I am so glad I teach 5th!
    Yes, yes, and YES that is all true! LOL
    They are definitely "checked out", and top that with the demands of the state test (FCAT for us) and wow, it's a lot. The students I have went down last year and our school grade went from a c to a b and now we are under incredible pressure to bring it up to an A. I think these kids are very capable, just not focused b/c they are just too busy with the drama of their lives!
    Corny is a great description, spot on! :drunken:
    The focus issue and the oppsite sex issue kill me! My son, thank you God, isn't too crazy yet but a lot of his classmates are spaztic nuts about the opposite sex. The focus thing...let me tell you. My son takes advanced classes and is taking Algebra 1. He can handle it with no problems, he's really great in math (it had to have skipped a generation) but he went nuts on his focus for 2 weeks and a kid who pulls A+ in advanced math almost always was pulling a D+, he was all bug eyed trying to put it all into words to us!
  • FullOfCurlsFullOfCurls Posts: 47Registered Users
    I do both special education K to grade 12 and teach a few high school subjects. I really love my job and I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

I do know from experience that the school you are at can make a big difference. My recommendation is that you try a different school or a different job with in the school system before you quit.

If you are truely unhappy with teaching and know it is not the right "fit" for you, then move on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file