Baby decongestant

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
Maybe I'm loopy from only 4 hours sleep in the last 48, but can someone remind me why decongestant is bad for babies? We have tried hot steam, cool steam, nose drops, suction, sleeping elevated on a pillow, sleeping in the car seat, sleeping all night on my chest. Nothing is clearing Harry's breathing (he has an ear infection too). I can't sleep due to worry, listening to his every breath and discomfort from having to hold him. I almost took him to the ER last night b/c he was struggling to breathe in his sleep. It finally cleared to a ridiculously loud snore.

I'm starting to feel like the "no meds under 2" recommendation is part of the typical "lowest common denominator" kind of advice that is popular these days. How the heck is anyone supposed to get any sleep when he wakes every 30 minutes because he is so stuffed up? A little Sudafed would help him rest. Not to mention me! :sad4:
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    They say it's not effective anyway and can irritate them, and also too easy to OD. When D. was sick, they did tell me I could try giving him a 1/4 teaspoon of PediaCare. It didn't seem to do much.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    I had this discussion with my daughters nurse at the Ped's office. It is ridiculous because some Parents can't follow directions that they should say no meds anymore. My poor little girl was up coughing all night long and I finally gave her a cough supp. so she could SLEEP and I could sleep! I cut the dosage for under 6 to 1/2 and it worked without over medicating her. You could try saline spray for the little one to unstuff him. Use your own judgement.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    DEL2C wrote: »
    You could try saline spray for the little one to unstuff him. Use your own judgement.

We're using saline drops and it hasn't done anything. Well, it does make him scream and cry. That's something. :coffee:
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried Vick's on his chest, neck and back and the Vick's plug ins? We use the plugs-ins in addition to a humidifier.

I think we used these when he was under two. http://www.medshopexpress.com/046151.html They are almost impossible to find now. I bookmarked this site in case we want to order them again.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    I've never seen Triaminic for Infants before. I'll have to ask my ped about that.

We used Benadryl from the time my daughter was around a year old. My ped was fine with it. It works for her. It does NOT make her sleepy.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    CGNYC, it was pulled from most shelves about a year ago because parents were over medicating children. My doctor was fine with us using it at bedtime so he would rest better.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    I've done Vicks too. It doesn't seem to help much, but I like the smell. Is that weird?

The main thing I think he needs is rest. It's just making it so hard for both of us to sleep.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Somebody in my AP group recently asked about ways to relieve congestion in her premie, and another member of the group who is a homeopath responded with:
    There is a homeopathic remedy called Hepar (Hep Sulph Calc) that comes in 30x (which will dissolve very quickly in your lttle one's mouth) that can help with draining the mucous. My little ones start sneezing/running about 15 mins after taking it.

The pellets are sweet and will work even though your young one will spit some of it out (reflex). You can get these at [local health food store] in the homeopathic section in the first isle of the store. I would give the baby 1 pellet and wait an hour. If there is more discharge and the baby is better do not give more unless symptoms worsen again. If after the first hour there is no change, give one more pellet and wait.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    Somebody in my AP group recently asked about ways to relieve congestion in her premie, and another member of the group who is a homeopath responded with:
    There is a homeopathic remedy called Hepar (Hep Sulph Calc) that comes in 30x (which will dissolve very quickly in your lttle one's mouth) that can help with draining the mucous. My little ones start sneezing/running about 15 mins after taking it.

The pellets are sweet and will work even though your young one will spit some of it out (reflex). You can get these at [local health food store] in the homeopathic section in the first isle of the store. I would give the baby 1 pellet and wait an hour. If there is more discharge and the baby is better do not give more unless symptoms worsen again. If after the first hour there is no change, give one more pellet and wait.

Thanks, Pixie. I'm going to look for those at Whole Foods.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    What about Liquid Albuterol or even Albuterol in a Nebulizer.. works really well for Liam!

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
    Well, his doctor gave us Zyrtec for children and wants him to do 1/2 a dose, once a day. I hope it helps him. The poor little guy is so tired! (And so are his parents.)
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    FB,

The Zyrtec will do the trick.. it did for Liam as well!! and the best part! It makes them sleepy!! or at least it did for Liam!

Let us know how it goes!

D
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Hope that helps!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    I'm doing a happy dance!

Harry was able to sleep through the night without getting up and crying every hour for the first time in a week. His breathing is still noisy, but he isn't doing that scary sleep apnea thing that was worrying us so much.

Also, he slept WITHOUT ME for the first time. He slept with DH all night long and I was by myself for the first time. I guess now that he has self-weaned, he's not as picky?

Too bad I'm sick now. Oh well! He's getting better! Yay!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    Glad to hear it worked Mama!! *happy dance*

~d
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    Also, he slept WITHOUT ME for the first time. He slept with DH all night long and I was by myself for the first time. I guess now that he has self-weaned, he's not as picky?

Wow! I bet it was both weird and nice to get to sleep alone for the first time in so long!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Fuzzbucket,
    I am where you are now. My 12 month old (not a happy birthday for Cassi) is MISERABLE. and like you, I am getting no sleep. Both of us are miserable.

Was it the Zyrtec? We have her year appt tomorrow. I will ask the doctor if we can get a prescription.

Deedles - do you have to have a prescrip for the abuterol? We used it once for Kennedy when she was about 18 months old and got a sample from the doctor. It did work.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
    Fuzzbucket,
    I am where you are now. My 12 month old (not a happy birthday for Cassi) is MISERABLE. and like you, I am getting no sleep. Both of us are miserable.

Was it the Zyrtec? We have her year appt tomorrow. I will ask the doctor if we can get a prescription.

It's a 24 hour liquid antihistamine for children. It's actually over the counter, but she (the doc) had to look up the dose for under 2 year olds before we could get it. It's 1/2 a teaspoon every 24 hours and helps dry up the mucus. He's still draining stuff from his nose, which is good, but he was able to rest.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    Deedles - do you have to have a prescrip for the abuterol? We used it once for Kennedy when she was about 18 months old and got a sample from the doctor. It did work.

Yep, the albuterol can come in 2 forms and both are Rx... You can either can it in a medicine bottle in liquid form or you can get it in little plastic tubes (best way to describe it) and you put 1 in the nebulizer mask and put the mask over the head and let them inhale the stuff for 10 min or so.. He's on that and Pulmicort 2 - 3X a day... (usually 2 cause frankly I am in enough of a rush trying to get him ready in the AM so I usually don't get it done in the AM... The daycare provider does the afternoon treatment (she has asthma and has the machine) so all I have to pack in his bag is the mask.. and then we do it again in the evening!!! SO MUCH FUN!!!
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Thanks Fuzzbucket and Deedles. I just want her to get some sleep.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file