What to feed a sick kid...

SarahMarieSarahMarie Posts: 901Registered Users
My boyfriend's daughter is throwing up. She started around noon and threw up about 5 times. She thought she was feeling better around 6:00 tonight. She even ate a little and seemed to be doing alright. At about 12:30am, half an hour ago, she got sick again. I gave her some of the anti-nausea medicine that the pharmacist recommended. She's back asleep right now. I keep checking on her. Before she went to bed, she was hungry.

My question is....When she says she's hungry again, probably in the morning, what should I feed her? I want something that won't upset her stomach. I have Sprite and crackers. She'll be 10 next month, by the way.

Comments

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    have any chicken noodle soup or broth?? also pedialyte is good if she's vomiting. dry toast also helps.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    idk...maybe OJ? ginger ale and saltines?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SarahMarieSarahMarie Posts: 901Registered Users
    She says she doesn't like chicken noodle soup. I already tried that one. She only likes tomato soup.:-? The one thing she did manage to keep down, for a while at least, was half of a bagel.
  • starg2008starg2008 Posts: 219Registered Users
    Maybe you could try fruit and dry toast like(apples,pears etc) hard fruit. And sprite,for some reason when i was little my mother would always give me fruit and sprite or 7up, mainly apples and i always kept it down. Hope this helps.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I don't know if this applies to bigger kids, but for littler ones "they" say: bananas, applesauce, rice or toast. I'd also recommend no dairy. Popsicles are a nice treat when my kids are sick.
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
    Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. She was hungry last night and ate some crackers and drank some Sprite. Thank goodness she feels better this morning! We'll still take it easy for a while today until we make absolute sure she's good to go.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Koukla72 wrote: »
    The only things I was ever able to eat when I was sick when I was little were mild fruits like bananas, Ritz crackers or plain rustic bread, broth with those tiny little pasta stars in it, and a Greek soup called avgolemono.

The name of the soup means egg/lemon but if it's cooked right you don't taste or see the egg, it's just used as a thickener. It's creamy but light and mild at the same time because of the lemony taste. Since it has rice in it and chicken broth as the base, as well as the egg, it's very nutritious. I don't have my recipe handy, but this one looks fairly close, if you want to try it. (I do separate the eggs, and I whisk continuously while I'm adding the hot broth to them, before I add it all back into the soup. ;) )
    THANKS for posting this!!!! I've been wanting to make an "authentic" version of this for soooo long, it's one of my favorite greek dishes. I've made other versions but it didn't have enough egg I realize this now.

Kids love this soup even with the lemony flavor it blends in so nicely. SarahMarie you should give this a try especially when kids are really HUNGRY they are more apt to try something new and appreciate it more. Hope she feels better soon, tomato soup will be nutritious for her too once you know she can keep it down.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Glad to hear she's doing better.
    If someone is vomiting, don't give them anything to eat or drink for at least 1 hour. My dr. says 2 hours, but my mom always allowed some after 1. Then water, ginger ale, Coke or unsweetened tea, in sips, for a bit to make sure it'll stay down. Avoid sugar or corn syrup as that will aggravate the stomach. First foods should be easily digested like crackers. A bit of rice in broth would be good, too. Oily or fatty foods should be given later. Tomato based foods should wait awhile because they're too acidic.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
    Well, I thought she was better. I just went up to check on her and she was on the floor by her bucket. She hasn't thrown up again, but she says she just doesn't feel well. :(

ETA: I might try to make some of that soup here in a little bit if she says she's hungry again. She is super picky though, so I hope she at least tries it.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I just want to say you're an awesome gf!
    I hope your bf daughter gets to feeling better soon...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    cream of wheat
    pedealyte
    toast or crackers
    ginger tea
    hello.world.
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    Toast, flat ginger ale, pedialyte, chicken broth, jello
    If she tolerates that you can advance her diet to the "BRAT" diet - bananas, rice, applesauce, toast

AVOID fruits (they are hard to digest), anything with a hint of dairy
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
    Ok, she says she is feeling better again, after sleeping in MY bed for a while. ;) She hasn't thrown up since 12:30am. I'm going to make sure that she continues to drink plenty and keep on with the gentle foods that won't upset her stomach again.

ETA: Scratch that....she just threw up again. :(
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    I would stop feeding her! Clear liquids only!
    I hate even mentioning this, because every time I do, she throws up again, but I think we're finally alright! She has eaten a little and feels ok. I'm trying to make sure she drinks plenty, too. She goes home to her mom's in about an hour. Now that she's feeling better...I went to a clinic real quick and I have a kidney infection. :( My boyfriend cooked lunch for us.
  • noelaninoelani Posts: 665Registered Users
    Hope she's feeling better. Poor girl. :-(

Hope you'll get better soon too.
    "When you are not afraid to fall, that's when you fly the highest"

"You shouldnt let random people who dont love you , arent there to help you with a flat tire, or there to fix you soup when your tummy hurts dictate your choices in life."
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    SarahMarie wrote: »
    My boyfriend's daughter is throwing up. She started around noon and threw up about 5 times. She thought she was feeling better around 6:00 tonight. She even ate a little and seemed to be doing alright. At about 12:30am, half an hour ago, she got sick again. I gave her some of the anti-nausea medicine that the pharmacist recommended. She's back asleep right now. I keep checking on her. Before she went to bed, she was hungry.

My question is....When she says she's hungry again, probably in the morning, what should I feed her? I want something that won't upset her stomach. I have Sprite and crackers. She'll be 10 next month, by the way.

the most important thing to push is fluids, and not so much food-food, since she's been throwing up so much. she could get dehydrated.

apple sauce, chicken and rice soup, watered-down fruit juice would be good things to introduce to her. but keep pushing fluids in any form, even soda, if that will ease her stomach (ginger ale is good). the main thing is to replenish her lost fluids from all the vomiting.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Posts: 1,008Registered Users
    I would stop feeding her! Clear liquids only!

Agreed. Don't push anything at this point. Especially solids. Clear liquids and advance as tolerated. Maybe even hold off on the clears for several hours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file