What is your routine 4b's?

madamxmadamx Registered Users Posts: 42
Hi All,

I have been visiting many sites on natural hair and can't seem to find enough info on the routines of 4b & 4a/b hair types. It's usually info on 3c, 4a types. I know no persons hair reacts the same, but how do you care for your hair? What products do you use for poo's,co's, dc's and leave-in's. You could post store bought products or homemade products. It's all about what works best for you.

I guess I'll start!

I co-wash once every two weeks (during warmer months once a week) with Avalon Organics peppermint conditioner (leave in for 5 minutes & wash out) then I do an Amla Tea rinse (1tbs of Amla powder seeping in 2 cups of hot water overnight then strained and added to hair). I then DC with strained coconut milk and well crushed almost liquidised hass avocado the prickly skinned kind (leave in for 2 hours with no heat) then rinse and massage in my jojoba, coconut oil, peppermint & rosemary essential oil mixture to scalp and hair for 2-5 minutes. I then add a bit of the avalon organics conditioner to my hair let it air dry for 2 hours. Once dried I add my glycerin, aloe vera juice spritz to hair and add another dime size amount of the conditioner then style.

My hair can't handle shea butter, caster oil or olive oil as they are too heavy (for some strange reason). It dislikes too much glycerin, so most of my spritz consists of majority aloe vera juice (or water as a substitute). It seems to react well to homemade products and loves coconut milk, avocado & honey. I find that natural fruits & vegetables that are high in fat works wonders on my hair as it is packed with moisturizing properties. My hair loves to to be spritzed three times a day and massage in the morning & night. This is my first winter natural and wearing a protective style is important as my hair (to me) looks unhappy no matter what I do. At this present time it is on holiday in kinky twist extension land for 6 weeks then will get a week of full power treatments leading to reapplication of the kinky twist extensions for 10 weeks which will take us into spring. The twists are pretty short so all I have to do is oil my scalp with jojoba, coconut, peppermint & rosemary oil, massage and clean my scalp. I do spritz in the mornings to wake up my hair.

My mission is to not bother my hair as much during this period just spritz shake and go. If i'm going out maybe add an accessory of some kind (flower, etc).

M.x

Comments

  • ThkchkThkchk Registered Users Posts: 203 Curl Neophyte
    Hi Madamx,
    It sounds like you've got yours down. My big chop was Oct. 2nd and i'm still in a trial and error phase. I haven't gotten consistency yet since i'm such a product junkie. I cowash 2-3 times a week or just water rinse since I workout several times a week. I've also been baggying a few nights. I may shampoo once a week. If I feel that it needs an extra shampoo I will do that and a deep conditioner.
    I use Cream of nature, Your crown and glory or Active shampoo. For cowashing I've used Sonoma Soap Co.'s citrus, White Rain coconut, Aussie Moist, Vive Pro treatment, Garnier Fructis moistureworks. For deep conditioning, ORS pack, Aussie 3 minute miracle, HB olive oil cholesterol, LS shea cholesterol,etc. For leave in I made a water/glycerin/rosemary or palmarosa oil spritz. Giovanni direct leave in, Cantu, HB olive oil. Still haven't found the right one. I also use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and White Camellia conditioners. They are my multipurpose products. DC, Leave in, Baggying.

    My guess is that i'm a 4a/b maybe with a patch of 3c or maybe 4b with a patch of 4a. I don't know. I keep looking for someone with a twa that looks like mine.

    Thanks for posting and providing your regimin to newbies like me
  • madamxmadamx Registered Users Posts: 42
    Thanks Thkchk for your reply. You seem to have a good routine going and I would consider trying a few of the products you have listed.

    I have been reading on a few other hair sites that it's good to try different types of conditioners, mix it up and not stick to just on type. Will have to see if that works for me.

    Been natural for 5 months now and still learning about my hair. I'm a 4b/a (if that matters, with evenly distributed textures) and find many products that should work does not give me the results I desire.

    My Fotki http://public.fotki.com/madamx/

    M.x
  • TjaneeTjanee Registered Users Posts: 50
    I shampoo with the JASON shampoo in my signature once a week. I'm not ready to give up shampoo and I chose this one because it has no sodium laureth sulfate. and I co-wash once a week with garnier sleek and shine conditioner. I try to deep condition during one of those times. But I recently found that my favorite (the Olive Oil replenishing pak) has DMDM Hydantoin in it, which is supposed to be a bad ingredient (although I totally use products with silicones in them).
    I like to get my hair wet almost every night (because it feels great and I couldn't as a permie) and whenever I do, I put garnier sleek and shine leave-in on my hair.
    When my scalp itches or feels a bit dry,I use some Hollywood Tea Tree oil (shout out to Krazy K,who mentioned it to me!). I had initially used the Olive Oil kind but it does not relieve the itch as much. I bought shea butter but I use it on my skin more because makes my hair feel sticky.
    I have a twa since I BC'd on October 2nd. I wanna learn to braid so I can do more than rock my fro. And oh yeah, I detangle with my Denman twice a week.
    I tried to maintain my "just out of the shower hair look" for the winter but unless I actually co-wash in the morning, it doesn't look as hot. For a while, I did the whole "wash at night,apply leave-in, and wear a shower cap under your bonnet routine." And it worked, but I felt like I was going through way too many plastic shower caps. So lately,I have just been utilizing my afro pik in the mornings.

    event.png
  • Mo_Gemini22Mo_Gemini22 Registered Users Posts: 485
    Twice a week a wash/co-wash and condition my hair. I apply either Giovanni Direct Leave In and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and twist. In the morning I untwist, spray a little care free curl spray on it, through on a headband and go.

    I just recently started using Afro Detangler. So know I use a small amount of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] w/ the Afro Detangler to do the twist out.

    That is what I am doing now! :thumright:
    Last relaxer - July 07
    BC - 8/2/08
    4B headband-holic
    Products in rotation (too many!):
    Shampoo - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Giovanni Tea Tree
    Condish - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Trader Joe Nourish Spa
    Leave in - Sheamoisture Curl Milk, KCNT, Giovanni Direct
    Deep Treatment - Apoghee Two Step Protein Treatment, Giovanni Nutrafix
    Moisturizers - Carefree Curl Gold Spray
    Stylers - Sheamoisture Curl Smoothie
  • ParatyParaty Registered Users Posts: 394
    Hey Madamax! thanks for starting this thread. I am 4b(a) as well and I was curious about other's routines. I have been natural for a little over a year and this is my first winter with hair longer than 3 inches :-}

    Edit on 3/29/09:
    My routine has changed and I use the following products either in conjunction or separately:

    Moisture:
    Leave-ins- Burdock Root Buttercream, Giovanni 50/50 hydrating-calming conditioner, Amla + Olive heavy cream mixed + any creamy conditioner

    Sealers: Whipped shea butter for definition with twistouts/braidouts ( naturessheabutter.com brand or homemade) , castor oil for smoothness and definition, or Amla and Olive Heavy Cream

    Cleanse: CV shampoo bars, Giovanni Tea Tree for monthly clarifying, Bentonite clay for every two months and deep clarifying

    Deep Treatment:

    Moisture- Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose (local) + Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment

    Protein: Aubrey's GPB every three months

    Detangling/Co-wash:
    Suave Naturals Coconut (detangler or co-wash), Trader Joe's Tea Tree tingle (strictly co-wash, leaves scalp fresher in summer)

    Styling:
    Kiss My Face gel, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] (for wash n' go's or out styles), Jane Carter Nourish and Shine (sheen imparting pomade to smooth updo's, or scrunch in 'out' hair)


    I wash my hair once or twice a week with the CV bars, deep condition my hair once every two weeks and then apply my leave-in of choice, then seal. I either twirl sections of hair loosely and secure with pins if I will style it outside of the shower (this keeps my hair moist for longer) or do neat individual or flat twists if I plan to wear a twistout. On the weeks that I am not deep conditioning, I do one of three things: 1. detangle using Suave coconut, 2. skip conditioning and just go straight to styling since my leave-ins are conditioning and the CV doesn't strip my hair as much, 3. Use a regular conditioner all over, not in sections like I do my deep treatments, leave it in for 5 minutes, rinse and get to styling.
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

    Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • curlymaybecurlymaybe Registered Users Posts: 354
    I posted this in the 4a section a few weeks ago:
    curlymaybe wrote: »
    Here's my current routine:
    Daily
    spray hair with homemade burdock root spritz
    style
    Every 2-3 days
    co-wash with Bioinfusion Naturals Rosemary Mint conditioner
    condition with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (mixed with oil and honey)
    I detangle every other day under running water and always do my final rinse with cold water.
    KBB nectar or homemade burdock root spritz as leave-in
    KBB hair butter on ends
    Weekly
    brown sugar scrub (mix brown sugar [I use demarra sugar, which dissolves more slowly] and conditioner to make a thin scrub, use it to exfoliate scalp)
    then condition and style as normal
    As needed

    Deep treatment with AO HSR or Swimmer's conditioner on dry hair (sometimes I put on a shower cap and leave it in overnight)
    apple cider vinegar rinses
    baking soda rinses (always followed by acv)
    soap bar followed by an acv rinse
    Once in a blue moon I'll use a coconut milk and honey DT. I love the way it makes my hair feel, but it's so messy I don't have the heart to incorporate it on a regular basis.
    Herbal rinses

    If I don't already have my hair in some sort of protective style (twists, braids, bun) then at night I put my hair in pigtail twists that are twisted up (they kind of look like horns) and then pin the ends on top of my head. I put a little bit of KBB hair butter or my homemade shea butter mix on the ends. I always sleep in a satin cap, and I have a satin pillow case.
    HTH

    Since then I've made a few changes:
    1. I've replaced the soap bar with a low poo from the Desert Essence Organics line. I get less tangles and don't have to follow with ACV, which is too drying right now.
    2. I've decided that shea is not my friend, so I'm not using it seal anymore. I'm testing out a sunflower/ camellia butter that I made a few days ago and I like it better so far.
    3. After I finish this bottle of HSR I will use either the White Camellia or Rose Mosqueta conditioners. (I rotate every few months between these three.)
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
  • madamxmadamx Registered Users Posts: 42
    Thanks everyone for posting your regimens. It's all about helping those who are scared to ask for 4b, 4a/b or 4b/a hair care tips.

    Planning on adding a few inspiration hair pics shortly.

    M.x
  • ThkchkThkchk Registered Users Posts: 203 Curl Neophyte
    Great. Looking forward to the pictures.
  • froggibleufroggibleu Registered Users Posts: 19
    Hi all. This is a good thread as 4b issues, like Madamx stated, aren't addressed often enough. It seems as if a lot more people identify with being 4a. That might because there are simply more 4as in the world than 4bs, the categories 4a/4b are not all encompassing, people prefer the 4a category, or people aren't sure of their hair type and must claim something. :) The reason doesn't really matter I guess just as long as everyone's needs are being met! Right?

    As for my routine, I would have to say that I really don't have one. In the summer I did, but since this will be the first winter wearing my natural hair out, (not in extensions or braids) every week has been an experiment. I would like to say, though, that during these cold months, the best things that I've experienced have been Amla & Olive by Qhemet Bio & pre pooing with warm Olive Oil (left on the hair for 45 min under plastic cap before cowashing). It has been hard to understand during these winter months what my hair likes and doesn't. During the summer, I always wore my hair wet. Wet styles, in my opinion, demand different products than dry styles. Like many of you mentioned, shea butter has not been a complete homerun for me, though my hair kinda likes it (it's good for moisture than some other products I've used). I feel that shea builds up on my hair after a couple of days if I'm wearing a twist out.
    http://members.fotki.com/froggibleu/ :icescream:
    A 4b Chick.
  • TashaTashaTashaTasha Registered Users Posts: 383
    madamx wrote: »
    Thanks Thkchk for your reply. You seem to have a good routine going and I would consider trying a few of the products you have listed.

    I have been reading on a few other hair sites that it's good to try different types of conditioners, mix it up and not stick to just on type. Will have to see if that works for me.

    Been natural for 5 months now and still learning about my hair. I'm a 4b/a (if that matters, with evenly distributed textures) and find many products that should work does not give me the results I desire.

    My Fotki http://public.fotki.com/madamx/

    M.x

    Your hair looks really good and it appears to be about the same texture as mine. How do you get your twists to stay at that length? Do you twist when your hair is wet or dry? I twist my hair when it's wet because it's easier for me but I've noticed that when I do this and my hair is finally dry that I get a lot of shrinkage. I want to avoid heat and putting it on my twists to try and extend them. If you could tell me how you do it I'd appreciate it!

    Right now my routine is still iffy as I'm only 3.5 months as a natural. Right now I co-wash whenever I can or feel like it lol with Suave Coconut condish. I've been leaving in a bit of the condish and then adding my whipped shea mixture to my hair to seal in moisture. I think I may change this becuase I'm not noticing any good moisture with this method (this is when I wash n go). But when I do my twists it works for my hair great. So I think what I'm going to do when I do a wash n go is seal with oils instead of the shea mixture. When I do twist-outs, they usually last me about 3 or 4 days and that's when I co-wash again. If my hair is really dirty then I wash with Castile Soap. I deep treat with jojoba/evoo mix. I was using the Tui Hair Smoothie and I think I will stop. I've been noticing that it leaves my hair kind of "rough" feeling after I rinse it out. Oh and also I think I will stop the castor oil/water spritz. I think it's leaving my hair dry. I don't know. So I'm going to spritz my hair with just water so I can loosen my hair up after laying on it all night and then apply the oil afterwards. I've started putting a light amount of oil in my hair and scalp before bed, so I figured the water in the morning won't be as drying as I would think. *fingers crossed*
  • madamxmadamx Registered Users Posts: 42
    Tazzy wrote: »
    madamx wrote: »
    Thanks Thkchk for your reply. You seem to have a good routine going and I would consider trying a few of the products you have listed.

    I have been reading on a few other hair sites that it's good to try different types of conditioners, mix it up and not stick to just on type. Will have to see if that works for me.

    Been natural for 5 months now and still learning about my hair. I'm a 4b/a (if that matters, with evenly distributed textures) and find many products that should work does not give me the results I desire.

    My Fotki http://public.fotki.com/madamx/

    M.x

    Your hair looks really good and it appears to be about the same texture as mine. How do you get your twists to stay at that length? Do you twist when your hair is wet or dry? I twist my hair when it's wet because it's easier for me but I've noticed that when I do this and my hair is finally dry that I get a lot of shrinkage. I want to avoid heat and putting it on my twists to try and extend them. If you could tell me how you do it I'd appreciate it!

    Right now my routine is still iffy as I'm only 3.5 months as a natural. Right now I co-wash whenever I can or feel like it lol with Suave Coconut condish. I've been leaving in a bit of the condish and then adding my whipped shea mixture to my hair to seal in moisture. I think I may change this becuase I'm not noticing any good moisture with this method (this is when I wash n go). But when I do my twists it works for my hair great. So I think what I'm going to do when I do a wash n go is seal with oils instead of the shea mixture. When I do twist-outs, they usually last me about 3 or 4 days and that's when I co-wash again. If my hair is really dirty then I wash with Castile Soap. I deep treat with jojoba/evoo mix. I was using the Tui Hair Smoothie and I think I will stop. I've been noticing that it leaves my hair kind of "rough" feeling after I rinse it out. Oh and also I think I will stop the castor oil/water spritz. I think it's leaving my hair dry. I don't know. So I'm going to spritz my hair with just water so I can loosen my hair up after laying on it all night and then apply the oil afterwards. I've started putting a light amount of oil in my hair and scalp before bed, so I figured the water in the morning won't be as drying as I would think. *fingers crossed*


    Hey Tazzy,

    Thanks for posting your routine. You seem to be on your way to finding out what your hair likes & dislikes (took me around the same length of time for my hair to react to certain products). I have heard so many good things about caster oil, so I tried it and that bad boy just sat on my hair. If I do plan on using it again, I would probably add it to one of my homemade deep conditioners.

    Have you made the water, veggie glycerin spritz yet? I find oil & water spritz a bit complicated.

    For my twists, I too suffer from excessive shrinkage and try to minimize it to the best of my ability. I usually twist on dampish hair and seal with coconut oil (mainly for combing purpose).

    My fav twist spritz consists of: 8oz bottle

    4oz-5oz Aloe Vera Juice (the one you can drink) or water
    1 tsp Glycerin (my hair doe not like too much of this)
    3tbs Organic Conditioner (or what works best for you)
    8 drops Peppermint essential oil
    12 drops Rosemary essential oil
    1 tsp Jojoba oil

    I like to mix the conditioner, EO's & jojoba oil together before adding the more liquidy ingredients. Once the water/aloe vera juice is added shake well.

    My hair starts out dry when doing this style, I then finger part, spritz to make hair dampish so It will be easy to finger comb out any knots, then twist. This technique gives me less shrinkage. If needed I seal the ends with coconut oil.

    If you want to use a comb to get rid of knots focus on spritzing the ends of your hair, comb then twist all the way to the end then seal.

    I like medium sized twists to me it looks nice and when I do twist outs (after 3-4 days), I use a pick to get more height and fullness (only pick the roots).

    Btw: I use aloe vera juice not only because it's great for moisture, the water in London is pretty hard and my hair reacts badly to it. So, I usually buy distilled water and use that for poo, co days. Planning on buying a shower water filter soon.

    Nice Fotki.

    M.x
  • TashaTashaTashaTasha Registered Users Posts: 383
    madamx wrote: »
    Tazzy wrote: »
    madamx wrote: »
    Thanks Thkchk for your reply. You seem to have a good routine going and I would consider trying a few of the products you have listed.

    I have been reading on a few other hair sites that it's good to try different types of conditioners, mix it up and not stick to just on type. Will have to see if that works for me.

    Been natural for 5 months now and still learning about my hair. I'm a 4b/a (if that matters, with evenly distributed textures) and find many products that should work does not give me the results I desire.

    My Fotki http://public.fotki.com/madamx/

    M.x

    Your hair looks really good and it appears to be about the same texture as mine. How do you get your twists to stay at that length? Do you twist when your hair is wet or dry? I twist my hair when it's wet because it's easier for me but I've noticed that when I do this and my hair is finally dry that I get a lot of shrinkage. I want to avoid heat and putting it on my twists to try and extend them. If you could tell me how you do it I'd appreciate it!

    Right now my routine is still iffy as I'm only 3.5 months as a natural. Right now I co-wash whenever I can or feel like it lol with Suave Coconut condish. I've been leaving in a bit of the condish and then adding my whipped shea mixture to my hair to seal in moisture. I think I may change this becuase I'm not noticing any good moisture with this method (this is when I wash n go). But when I do my twists it works for my hair great. So I think what I'm going to do when I do a wash n go is seal with oils instead of the shea mixture. When I do twist-outs, they usually last me about 3 or 4 days and that's when I co-wash again. If my hair is really dirty then I wash with Castile Soap. I deep treat with jojoba/evoo mix. I was using the Tui Hair Smoothie and I think I will stop. I've been noticing that it leaves my hair kind of "rough" feeling after I rinse it out. Oh and also I think I will stop the castor oil/water spritz. I think it's leaving my hair dry. I don't know. So I'm going to spritz my hair with just water so I can loosen my hair up after laying on it all night and then apply the oil afterwards. I've started putting a light amount of oil in my hair and scalp before bed, so I figured the water in the morning won't be as drying as I would think. *fingers crossed*


    Hey Tazzy,

    Thanks for posting your routine. You seem to be on your way to finding out what your hair likes & dislikes (took me around the same length of time for my hair to react to certain products). I have heard so many good things about caster oil, so I tried it and that bad boy just sat on my hair. If I do plan on using it again, I would probably add it to one of my homemade deep conditioners.

    Have you made the water, veggie glycerin spritz yet? I find oil & water spritz a bit complicated.

    For my twists, I too suffer from excessive shrinkage and try to minimize it to the best of my ability. I usually twist on dampish hair and seal with coconut oil (mainly for combing purpose).

    My fav twist spritz consists of: 8oz bottle

    4oz-5oz Aloe Vera Juice (the one you can drink) or water
    1 tsp Glycerin (my hair doe not like too much of this)
    3tbs Organic Conditioner (or what works best for you)
    8 drops Peppermint essential oil
    12 drops Rosemary essential oil
    1 tsp Jojoba oil

    I like to mix the conditioner, EO's & jojoba oil together before adding the more liquidy ingredients. Once the water/aloe vera juice is added shake well.

    My hair starts out dry when doing this style, I then finger part, spritz to make hair dampish so It will be easy to finger comb out any knots, then twist. This technique gives me less shrinkage. If needed I seal the ends with coconut oil.

    If you want to use a comb to get rid of knots focus on spritzing the ends of your hair, comb then twist all the way to the end then seal.

    I like medium sized twists to me it looks nice and when I do twist outs (after 3-4 days), I use a pick to get more height and fullness (only pick the roots).

    Btw: I use aloe vera juice not only because it's great for moisture, the water in London is pretty hard and my hair reacts badly to it. So, I usually buy distilled water and use that for poo, co days. Planning on buying a shower water filter soon.

    Nice Fotki.

    M.x

    Thanks for the compliment!

    I did a twist out on Saturday and I hit it with heat (had to because I was leaving out and it was in the 20's outside). I noticed that hitting it with low heat and stretching out the twists actually helps. It kept my twists from shrinking down from 3 inches to like an half inch lol.

    When I twist, my hair is soaking wet and I put in some of my Suave Coconut condish. Then when I part it to twist I run some (shea butter w/tea tree oil/jojoba oil/honey) over it and then detangle with the denman (if I need to) then get to twisting. Using the shea keeps my hair very moisturized for several days. I probably won't co-wash again until Wednesday, depending on how my head looks after I wake up tomorrow morning lol. But for the most part twist-outs have been pretty beneficial to my hair and aids in keeping the frizz down. Plus, I don't have to put any moisture really on my haead in the morning, except to loosen up the flat hair from sleeping on it.
  • curlygirlbeautifulcurlygirlbeautiful Registered Users Posts: 320
    I want to get in on this. great thread!

    co wash 2-3x/week. i drench my hair in water for like 5 min in the shower b4 i do anything. water is our hairs best friend, inside and out. i use the prod in my sig. detangle with goody paddle brush or large wide tooth comb

    apply diluted ao hsr to soaking wet hair in shower as leave in. once my bottle was empty and i couldnt get any out, i added water and shook it up. its so rich and thick, the water just made it come out of the bottle easier, but its just as moisturizing. plop

    apple leave in spritz in my sig. detangle w denman

    apply whipped shea butter in sections, band, then air dry. the recipe changes depending on what oils i have at home. the last batch i made had
    shea,coconut oil, evoo,castor,grapeseed,avg. very rich. next time i will make it w/o avg so it will be thicker for winter

    once 70% dry, still damp, i 2x twist with miss jessies curly meringe (more hold) or baby buttercream (soft, springy curls)

    leave hair twisted under hat if not going anywhere or twist out and apply buttercream to frizzies.

    midweek, i apply infused oil to scalp and baggie overnight. spritz when needed

    Deep treat sundays with lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol,add molasses, coconut milk, banana baby food. with heat 45 min. leave in 2 hr after. repeat above.

    Thats my story and im stickin to it:D
    The 411:
    Detangle: HE Hydralicious,Inecto Coconut Oil Condis,Yes to Carrots,HE Hello Hydration
    Poo:100% African Black Soap
    DT: molasses, AO HSR, EVOO, coco milk, LustraSilk Shea Butter, castor oil,shea
    Leave-In: Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, Qhemet Detangling Ghee,Shea,AO HSR
    Homemade Hair Cream


    Please visit my blog: www.kinkycurlymagazine.blogspot.com
  • naturellewondernaturellewonder Registered Users Posts: 22
    MadamX, your kinky twist routine sounds similar to my own. This is my first natural winter and I'm using kinky twists to get me through it. I'm taking my first set down next week and doing two more sets to push me into spring.

    My routine:
    Daily: Moisturize hair with spritz mix (aloe vera juice, distilled water, a dab of oil, a dab of conditioner). Sometimes I add a few squirts of Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave In Conditioner for a bit of protein.

    Weekly: Shampoo wash in large twists. DC with heat for 30-45 minutes. Detangle. Rinse. Apply Leave In and seal with oil. Air dry in large twists.

    Mid Week: Co-wash (when I feel up to it). I either apply the conditioner overnight and leave it in until the morning or let it soak in my hair for 5-10 minutes before rinsing most of it out.

    Monthly: Use a mild protein DC (AO GPB or ORS Replenishing Paks)

    Clarify when needed.
    Sleep with satin bonnet.

    My hair has a strong distain for pure shea butter and EVOO. It loves coconut oil and castor oil (when mixed with a creamy moisturizer or else it's too thick for my strands).

    When I'm in kinky twists I cleanse my scalp weekly with a cotton swab and witch hazel. I moisturize daily with the my daily spritz and shampoo and DC (both diluted) every 3-4 weeks.
    Last Relaxer May 2007:glasses1:
    AO HSR:: JCTS:: HE HH:: Elucence MB Shampoo
    Coconut Oil:: Castor Oil:: Elasta QP Fortifying Cond'r

    Fine Strand-Med. Density/ Med Porosity- 4 Type
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • madamxmadamx Registered Users Posts: 42
    Once again I would like to thank everyone for posting their hair regimens.

    It's X-mas/New Years time,what are your plans for styling your hair? For me the 25th will be a month exact since I added kinky twist extensions to my hair and it has grown so much. I think I will break my plans of keeping the twists in for 6 weeks and remove the extensions on the 28th or 29th of December (with an intense DC to follow).

    My plan is to wear my fro for New Years. I purcahsed a wicked outfit and it totally screams for an afro do with a flower or beaded hair accessory. I will then reapply my kinky twist extension on the 4th or 5th of January (will make them an inch longer this time). That should last me til the 15th of Feb three days before my B-day, where I will remove and reapply the twists (mainly for vanity purposes).

    Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

    M.x
  • Shea-girl-aloeShea-girl-aloe Registered Users Posts: 280
    I hope it's okay for me to just post this instead of having to write it out:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqAcg6zt4J8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hup9pOslNRc
    4/b with 4/a kinks at the back of my head. :toothy4:

    Keep it kinky, curly, wavy- whatever.
    Just keep it natural and keep it you, from head to toe ^_^ :hippy2: :blob4:

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hollyhollyrose&view=videos

    Fotki:
    http://public.fotki.com/shea-girl-aloe/
  • curlymaybecurlymaybe Registered Users Posts: 354
    madamx wrote: »
    It's X-mas/New Years time,what are your plans for styling your hair?
    My in-laws will be staying with us for a week and we only have one bathroom, so I will be wearing twists then. For New Years' I will probably do a curly puff, but make it huge!
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
  • madamxmadamx Registered Users Posts: 42
    [quote=My in-laws will be staying with us for a week and we only have one bathroom, so I will be wearing twists then. For New Years' I will probably do a curly puff, but make it huge![/quote]

    Thanks, for posting your regimen. Wow, sounds like you have a full house! It's always great to spend time with family during this period. Even though you're the one doing all the entertaining. lol. Your hair plan sound wise for x-mas and totally fun & sxy for New Years. You have the perfect length to cut loose.

    My husband and I plan on having a quiet x-mas this year. No friends or family invited (his suggestion, boring). I'm a bit sad as I like spending this time with family (either mine or his), but I'll preparing a Jamaican menu this year to put a smile on my face.

    Can't wait for New Years!

    M.x
  • madamxmadamx Registered Users Posts: 42
  • madamxmadamx Registered Users Posts: 42
    Merry Christmas to All!
  • zelia5zelia5 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Madam X - hope you don't mind, but I'll like to post my routine as well.

    Shampoo & Condition 1 X a week
    Nasaab Teawynn Shampoo/Organix Coconut Shampoo
    Any Suave conditioner mixed with olive oil and honey (this makes my hair really soft)

    Every other week:
    Shampoo as above & Deep condition with:
    Olive oil Deep condition

    Last week in each month:
    Henna - Hennaforhair.com

    I use my deman to detangle after each condition.
    Last rinse after each condition session with Rosmary tea.

    I then spritz lightly with my mix (Infusium 23, conditioner, water) and twist in 10-12 plaits with shea butter mix (shea butter, kaluchi oil & Aloe vera gel) and let dry.

    I developed this routine because after going natural about 1 1/2 years ago, my hair was VERY dry. I think the teawynn shampoo and henna made a whale of the difference and after 2 months of this routine, my hair has grown and is soft to the touch. Dryness is no longer a problem since I lightly spritz each night and double strand twist back my hair in 5-7 twists each night with my shea butter mix.
    Luvin the kinks in me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file