Knitted President Obama

EllaElla Posts: 392Registered Users
As anyone who's read my posts on the politics board knows, I'm a Libertarian and did not vote for Barack Obama, but knitting knows no political boundaries so in the interest of tossing some yarn across the aisle, here is Knitted President-Elect Obama (I didn't knit this, I found it online) :

Link to Pattern

6a00e54f8f86dc88340105361ccff7970b-500wi
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress. – Mark Twain

Comments

• FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    Ella wrote: »
    As anyone who's read my posts on the politics board knows, I'm a Libertarian and did not vote for Barack Obama, but knitting knows no political boundaries so in the interest of tossing some yarn across the aisle, here is Knitted President-Elect Obama (I didn't knit this, I found it online) :

Link to Pattern

maybe it's me, but it kinda looks like george W. bush.
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FreeCurls wrote: »
    Ella wrote: »

Link to Pattern

maybe it's me, but it kinda looks like george W. bush.

To me, it looks George H.W. Bush...Bush 41.

George_H._W._Bush,_41_President_of_the_United_States,_1989_official_portrait.jpg

Or, maybe Mr. Rogers:

140575683_da9edd854e.jpg
  • EllaElla Posts: 392Registered Users
    I guess the doll does look a little generic, real humans are pretty hard to translate into knitting unless they have a signature costume like Elvis:

candyknitted2.jpg

Without the hair and the suit, this wouldn't look much like Elvis. I guess politicians make boring knitting subjects (except maybe Kim Jong Il with those [email protected]@ glasses)
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress. – Mark Twain
    No Ella, I think the doll is cute. It's just that if you hadn't mentioned it I would never have thought it was supposed to be Obama. (maybe it need his big teeth or something ;))

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    CUTE! I just emailed my sister to ask if she would knit me my very own PRESIDENT OBAMA!

Can I tell you that I am still just delighted and astonished that we, the American people, elected him? THRILLED, I tell you, THRILLED! :D
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That made me think of Steve Carell in get Smart.

Still, it is cute, and it's sweet that someone took the time to make up the pattern. :)
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    Very nicely done...I have GOT to learn how to knit.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• EllaElla Posts: 392Registered Users
    There's a whole book devoted to knitting famous people:

knitted_400x400.jpg

• YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I think the Elvis one is really cute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
    is that supposed to be Madonna (or Gwen Stefani)?

is that supposed to be Madonna (or Gwen Stefani)?

It says "Blonde Ambition! Madonna" to the left of her head.

I saw but even so I was like, well it COULD be Gwen too. :) Madonna didn't wear long pants in Blonde Ambition. maybe I'm taking these dolls too seriously!

I saw but even so I was like, well it COULD be Gwen too. :) Madonna didn't wear long pants in Blonde Ambition. maybe I'm taking these dolls too seriously!

Maybe the real bottoms didn't work? :)

The tops has the thongy thing though, so it still makes some sense. The ponytail and mike did it for me.

• geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I showed my daughter the pic and asked who it was. she hesitated a little and then said:
    Barack Obama?" The hairline looks off to me, but it is cute nonetheless. :)
  • .patience..patience. Posts: 537Registered Users

Maybe the real bottoms didn't work? :)

The tops has the thongy thing though, so it still makes some sense. The ponytail and mike did it for me.

the pointy boobs did it for me..:lol:
    brax.jpg

and I think the ears on the Obama doll need to be a smidgen bigger. :happy2:
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    How sweet and different. While it may not look exactly like President-elect Obama, it's not about a perfect representation as much as it is about the thought. I saw a stained glass sun-catcher based on the logo for the campaign. I'm sure lots of quilters are incorporating it into the work.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file