Can it really be this easy or am I fooling myself?

buffiebuffie Posts: 184Registered Users
This may get long because I'm feeling pretty inspired right now. But I've been thinking about this for a little while.

I see all the activity on these forums and see how supportive we are of eachother and that is so awesome! People with different types of curls, different types of waves, short hair/long hair, white curlies, black curlies, mixed curlies, men, women, teens, the list goes on.....

We rally around the teen who's getting teased in high school because she doesn't "look like everyone else". We offer advice or a sympathetic ear for someone who's fried their curls from abuse of the flat iron or in my case hair color. lol. We share samples and exchange ideas. Heck we're even doing a secret curly for the holidays!

So why is it that, and this is where my rant may begin, it can't be like that in the real world? Why can't we see how similar we all are? Why can't we treat others as we want to be treated?

We're all human, we all have (unless because of some accident or birth defect) two eyes, two ears, a beating heart..... We laugh, we cry, we think, we believe, we work, we sweat....

Why does it have to be "us" versus "them"? Why do we have to have what someone else has? Why can't we just be happy for someone's good fortune or hard work? Why do we have to want to take it away from them instead of earning it ourselves? Why can't we just accept someone for who they are and not what we want them to be?

Why do cops get shot and people strap bombs to themselves?

Why can't we see how we are basically all the same instead of how slightly we are different? Our similarities greatly outweigh our differences.

Am I being naive? What do you folks think?
"How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?" - from a t-shirt my brother gave me years ago. I loved it!

Have discovered I cannot live without KCCC and plopping. Always knew that I was dependant on my diffuser.

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Why can't we see how we are basically all the same instead of how slightly we are different? Our similarities greatly outweigh our differences.

That's a key word. IRL we see each other and that can trigger jealousy, arrogance, prejudice. Here, we only know what we tell each other.

It's more liberating in a way (some people online act in ways that I can't imagine them acting IRL), but it's also more limiting. Online we live in somewhat of a vacuum. All I know about you is pixels on a screen.

And, as I alluded to, it's not as if some boardies aren't rude, mean and just generally nasty here. Maybe you just haven't seen it yet?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Our differences are what make the world an interesting place. We don't all have to be the same or even think the same because we aren't the same. We are equal in our value as humans but not the same in looks, religion, or other views. Differences are not a bad thing.

We can't save the world all at once but we can make a difference to one person at a time. That one person goes forth and spreads kindness to another person and so on.

Give someone a heartfelt compliment, hold the door open for someone, do a random act of kindness. Step outside of your box and look at the world around you and realize we're all in this together and not alone.

Some people are just self-centered jerks and nothing will penetrate that but still be kind and polite to them and there's no telling who else is watching and will be affected.

You can be honest with people and give them constructive criticism that isn’t going to hurt them.

I have a more kill'em with kindness attitude and build'em up instead of tear them down look at life. Life is too short to be a jerk and I'd rather be nice to people and learn to not let the jerks get to me.
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    I don't think you're being naive, but I do see that you haven't been here long.

Believe me, there's been plenty, sometimes *copious* amounts of negativity, snarkiness, rudeness and insensitivity. I think most of the older members have had to take a hiatus for a bit, it does come in waves.

This community is generally pretty kind but it's certainly not without it's warts and dramas.
  • livvy123livvy123 Posts: 102Registered Users
    Because even though we are all similar in the ways you listed, we are different in a myriad of ways. And these differences, even if they are small, are enough to single one person or group of people out. The differences that everyone has also spark anger, envy, greed, and pride and these feelings are much more powerful than any similarities that anyone has. Yes, this is a very supportive place and I am happy to be a part of it, but like Phoenix said, it is not always like this. There will probably always be anger, hate, and envy in this world, and while it saddens me greatly, I think we all have to grow and live with it.
    CG since January 18th, 2009:blob2:
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's naive. I don't mean to sound mean about it...because, I too, would like to see people be nice to each other.
    I think it's within our human nature to categorize people. Most people want to take the easy-road...criticizing and judging is so much easier than self-improvement.
    It's so much easier to go along with the "group think" than to stand up for someone...not to say there aren't people out there that will do the difficult and noble thing...but most people just want to fit in...and it seems they are willing to do that at the expense of another.

Although that happens, I think it happens in varying degrees. Although most people might want to fit in, and might do something mean to do so...it's the varying degrees of mean. I know that most people have more nice than mean in them...but most of us has enough mean to keep the status quo going...such as enabling the bad things that happen. We might think we're being "nice" by not standing up to a jerk, but really, we aren't. Someone usually gets hurt when a jerk goes unchecked.
    Most of us that want to do the right thing...we need more courage...we need to do those random acts of kindness. We can make our world a better place, but it will still have a lot of problems.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    meryn wrote: »
    I don't think you're being naive, but I do see that you haven't been here long.

Believe me, there's been plenty, sometimes *copious* amounts of negativity, snarkiness, rudeness and insensitivity. I think most of the older members have had to take a hiatus for a bit, it does come in waves.

This community is generally pretty kind but it's certainly not without it's warts and dramas.
    Precisely!! I haven't been here long but have SEEN this for sure...
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file