Hi, All!

I've been lurking around this website for a week now, and decided to join.

I've never had a perm, but what I have been doing for several years now is getting my hair washed, conditioned, and blown out. I live in NYC and this was my regular routine. I just never felt like I had the time to manage my natural texture, which is curly, soft, and thick. As result of years of blowing my hair out, or getting just the roots blown is major, major breakage. I've been letting a friend help me and all the blowing straight has really changed the texture of my hair. And from what I've been reading it feels like my hair is experiencing similar issues of those who are growing out a perm. I've been about 6 months without any blowing or straightening/flat iron, heat etc. My natural texture is starting to peek through but there are is still a lot of splitting and breakage. I'm trying to find a decent routine. I will take some pictures and share soon. I think that might help me in my journey.

I plan on spending a lot of time perusing the forums and this website to help me get my hair back to it's natural and healthy state. Thanks for allowing me to join and I look forward to learning and sharing!!

Comments

• NaturaLuvNaturaLuv Registered Users Posts: 3
    I am going through the same thing. My hair was relaxed for 18 years and I did a big chop in 2003. Six months later, my hair was healthy, thick, curly, coily and I kept it heat-free for 3 years. It grew to almost bra-strap length and then I started straightening it. Big mistake #1! After 2 years of constant flat-ironing, my hair became permanently straight and drier. Then I colored it. Big mistake #2! My hair has been in boot camp for the past 5 months. No heat, regular trims, co-wash's, protein treatments to strengthen, DC's for moisture, and lots of leave-in conditioners and hair butters (shea mostly). Next, I will try henna to darken the colored/damaged ends. I hear it's supposed to strengthen, thicken, and smooth the hair also. My hair has improved a lot but probably won't look its best until all the colored/damaged ends are gone.

Hope this helps!
    http://public.fotki.com/kindacurlyagain/
    pw: NaturaLuv
    BC - April 2003
    3c/4a/4b

comic-p.jpg
  • marie.lmarie.l Registered Users Posts: 702
    glad you're here

marie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji