Feeling pretty domestic today!

SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Okay, I should probably follow this up with the fact that I am pretty domestic normally. I can cook, I can bake, I can clean, etc. I just usually choose not to. I also usually choose the path of least resistance when it comes to cleaning. Clothes, kitchen, dishes, bathroom, you name all the new gadgets, I've probably purchased them.

But the other day I was watching 17 Kids and Counting with the Duggars and how they make their own laundry soap. First, I snorted and thought to myself it can't work very good. Then I became intrigued. So I did some research. Turns out it actually works better than regular detergent and is a hell of a lot cheaper. I'm all over that!

So today, I made it. Yup. SunshineGrrl turned domestic twice in two days (yesterday goes without saying since I'm one of the only ones who will help with T-giving dinner) and the clothes actually did turn out cleaner with the homemade stuff! Rock on!

And to further the savings, I took old hotel soaps my dad used to collect when we were little and he had to go on business trips and used them instead of buying other soaps. Next time, I might try the old, old, old, old homemade soap. I don't know whether I'm brave enough for that.

Comments

• chicagocurly78chicagocurly78 Posts: 463Registered Users
    How do you make the detergent?
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, it's sooooo easy! Grate 1 cup soap (they recommend Fels-Naptha, but I used French Milled Soap they gave you for free in the hotels. Others have used Lever 2000, some have used Dove, whatever tickle's your fancy!) I packed my soap down in the measuring cup just to make sure because it didn't say.

This recipe is for dry detergent, but if you search, there is plenty for liquid detergent. I just don't have a 5 gallon bucket.

1 cup grated soap
    1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Powder (not baking soda, though there is a recipe out there for baking soda), can be found in the laundry aisle.
    1/2 cup Borax, can also be found in the laundry aisle.

Mix together in an airtight container and use 1 tbsp per load. 2 tbsp for very soiled or extra large load.

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've really been wanting to try this! I've gotten the Borax and just need to pick up the washing powder if I can find it. Thanks for posting your experience with it. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    Ooooohhhh...I just scented it with one of my fragrance oils. I think I'm in love. I might sleep with this stuff tonight.

I also made some fabric softener out of some leftover suave conditioner, water and white vinegar. Pretty pimp, too.

• susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    I love watching the Duggars and missed the latest installment. Did their oldest son propose to his GF?

I'm so glad to see this one for the dry detergent as I couldn't find it, only the one for liquid. I'll be trying these.

Okay, what are the proportions for the fabric softener? I can't find my vinegar and I think it all went for that. I could've sworn I had a gallon around here somewhere.

I do love doing all that, but after being at work all day...all I want to do on weekends is nothing, although I do get on a tear and want to do it all right now. I probably should have done laundry today...
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Fabric Softener:

2 cups conditioner of choice
    3 cups vinegar
    6 cups water

I made sure my vinegar and water were hot to mix it well, but we have one of those newfangled washing machine's that dispense fabric softener in the top of the machine just inside the top door. The softener was too thick and made water spray everywhere, so I had to thin it down, haven't tried it since. Will keep you posted.

• susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks. My washer dispenses it also, but I HATE cleaning out that thingie, so I just let the washer fill for the cycle, pour it in then and let it agitate...unless I can find my little softener ball again.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

See...I just don't pay enough attention to when the rinse cycle begins. I'd have to do an extra rinse every time I washed. I need to relocate that freaking ball...

• EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1 cup grated soap
    1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Powder
    1/2 cup Borax

Mix together in an airtight container and use 1 tbsp per load. 2 tbsp for very soiled or extra large load.

That's all?! :shock:

I'm going to try this when I get close to running out of my Sun, Arm & Hammer, & All, all free of dyes & perfumes.

I think I'll try it with Dove, Ivory or Kirk's Castile.
    lazy loops wrote: »
    1 cup grated soap
    1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Powder
    1/2 cup Borax

That's all?! :shock:

I'm going to try this when I get close to running out of my Sun, Arm & Hammer, & All, all free of dyes & perfumes.

I think I'll try it with Dove, Ivory or Kirk's Castile.

Well, I use 1/8 cup measuring cup, but I think I read somewhere that's 1 Tbsp. I might be wrong. Well, I'm usually wrong. Beware. I scented mine and went to far, now I can smell whenever anyone is doing laundry. I need to make some more to dilute it or chuck it out or something. It smells great, just too strong, I think. And the smell does NOT carry through to the drying process. At least, not that I noticed.

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The homemade stuff really works better than store-bought? Noticeably so? I'm trying it!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    The homemade stuff really works better than store-bought? Noticeably so? I'm trying it!

True story! The clothes were softer, smelled better, less stiff and less fading. Maybe just less pilling on the clothes, but they seemed brighter. I washed my sheets and quilts in it and they feel divine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file