does long hair work with 3a hair?

twistedgirltwistedgirl Registered Users Posts: 87 Curl Neophyte
i've never had long hair since it started going curly, so i decided to grow it out. now its a little longer than BSL, but it's looking really crappy. i dont know if i should just cut it how it used to be, or just cut the ends and see what happens. i really dont know what to expect since i never have had it like this so i need advice.

Comments

• LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Registered Users Posts: 211
    we'd probably need a bit more info on exactly what's going wrong with it to help...

...but just as a general note, with 3a hair it can be a tough line to walk between being long enough to have the full curl potential but not getting weighed down by its own length. i know a lot of curlies like long layers to help keep the curl from being pulled out by the weight of the hair. long layers can also help with bounce and volume. i'd suggest it as the first place to try.

also, if you've been growing out your hair and haven't cut it for upwards of 4-6 months, you probably need a trim to take off any split or just really damaged ends.

otherwise...let us know more specifically what problems you are having and what your hair type is and what your care routine is and we'll be able to give more specific help. :)
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • twistedgirltwistedgirl Registered Users Posts: 87 Curl Neophyte
    well.. problems i've been having are just the curls are pulled out and limp/fuzzy... it just look super crappy..
    i have 3a hair with some 2c mixed in.. modified CG and i use dove leave in... thats about it i think.
  • LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Registered Users Posts: 211
    how modified is your CG? i don't have experience with that particular Dove product, but in general Dove is one of the brands that puts silicones in everything. you might just be having problems with build-up from that, in which case you would need to clarify with a sulfate shampoo to clear off any 'cones and then start over with the CG. even if you keep up a mod-CG routine with a low-poo or shampoo bar, if you're using any products with 'cones that wouldn't be enough to clean them off your hair.

If that doesn't help, there's a lot of other things it could be...overconditioned, protein sensitivity, mag-sulfate sensitivity, sensitivity to a specific oil...but to me it sounds like it might just be plain old 'cone build-up. Hope that helps and let us know if you're still having this issue!!!
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • Miss CaffeineMiss Caffeine Registered Users Posts: 2
    I had my 2c/3a (I think) hair long for a long while, and I sometimes loved it and sometimes hated it. I really liked the long hair during the winter months because wearing it down was easy and it kept my neck and my ears warm, and it looked really nice. During the summer, with the heat and the humidity it can be a bit of a pain.

My avatar shows the pic of my hair when it was long (currently I'm sporting it at slightly below my chin...the heat bothered me and I decided to cut it about 2 months ago).

I try to wash every 3-4 days but I moisturize and condition everyday. I also never brush it once it's dry. If your hair is really dry and broken it could be for a lot of reasons, so I'm sorry I'm not much help in that area. Perhaps diet or the weather or just the products/brushes you're using.

Here's a bigger pic from the avatar:
    3069458688_4b02de932e.jpg
  • Froggie427Froggie427 Registered Users Posts: 19
    My hair is similar in texture-maybe a little curlier. I keep mine nearly bottom length (about an inch and half away) and I've noticed that it does look really crappy for a while til it reaches that length.

Right now I'm CG with Burt Bee's volumizing and it makes my hair look really nice. It kind of pulls out into a soft wave at the top and then really nice loose curls at the bottom and I have want to spend time on it, I can get it to curl all the way up. It does fall flat, but hair spray (and protein!) can help that A LOT.

I would say to stick with it. Once my hair hit this length it just started doing everything right! Its hard for a while, but I think that it's worth it.

I know my avatar is a sucky pic, I'll try to get some more up using the bf's camera sometime after finals are over here.
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Registered Users Posts: 948 Curl Neophyte
    i've never had long hair since it started going curly, so i decided to grow it out. now its a little longer than BSL, but it's looking really crappy. i dont know if i should just cut it how it used to be, or just cut the ends and see what happens. i really dont know what to expect since i never have had it like this so i need advice.

I have long 3A hair (halfway down my back) that is layered throughout with sideswept bangs. I use a Deva-trained stylist in DC. She cuts it like Ouidad does - helpfully avoiding the pyramid effect.

I get the best results from: leave-in + curl cream + gel. Without a curl cream in the winter, my hair tends to be wavy (2B) rather than curly (3A). Without a light gel on top for hold, my curls fall out halfway through the day.

I also use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-ease-Towel-p-500.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlease-curlease-towel]curl-ease towel[/buylink] (sold on curl mart) to "plop" my hair for about 1/2 hour before applying products. This helps cut down on drying time substantially, and prevents frizz (induced by cotton towels). I prefer to air dry -- this gives me the best results -- and if I do use a diffuser, I touch my hair as little as possible while drying.:rendeer:
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • DotDotDotDotDotDot Registered Users Posts: 13
    I have 3a/3b hair which is tailbone-length when dry and curly and an inch away from the top of my thigh when wet/straight. I love it!! Yes, it does get weighed down by itself - the first foot is about 2c, but it just gets curlier from there. I don't have layers, just a blunt cut. I truly adore it and I get compliments on it all the time.

Here's a pic that shows how the top usually is (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic):

n1129418619_199282_7431.jpg

Sorry... I don't have a recent pic of the whole length! I could post an older one, but my hair has recently gotten a lot curlier so that wouldn't really be an accurate pic. Anyway, you can see that the top is pretty much really deep 2c snakewaves which I personally think are very pretty.

HTH!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file