CurlTalk

You know baby is too old for nursing...

medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
when she pulls up a chair for you and pats the seat, so you can sit down and nurse her. :lol:

I've been trying to wean Lilly for months now and have been pretty good at saying no to her. But this new trick is just too hard to resist.

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    haha!

i knew we were nearing the end when majerle would sit on my lap and lift up my shirt/bra on her own.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users
    That is too funny Medussa & Subbrock! Harry never patted the chair, but he would pull on my shirt - always in public too. That was rare at home. Seemed like being out and about would set something off.

We seem to have cold turkey self weaning going on here. Harry hasn't asked to nurse since Tuesday at bedtime and has slept without night nursies ever since. He's also under the weather with a cold, so it may hurt his ears to nurse, but we may be done too. :sad5:
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Do you really think those are signs of being too old? JJ is the same age and he still loves nursing and I still think it is reasonable for a baby of his age to want to.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Oh yes, I've had Lilly lift up my shirt. She still hasn't figured out how to unlatch my nursing bra. :toothy4:

I think more than anything, Lilly has an emotional attachment to the breast. She certainly doesn't need to nurse but it makes her so damn happy. If I let her, she'd nurse whenever she got the chance. Right now we're working on me saying no and distracting her with toys. It's working a lot better than it did before. When I first started denying her, she'd just sob.

She's funny, though. She'll sometimes sneak up behind me and whisper, "kiki." That's her word for breastmilk. I just crack up because I suspect she thinks that if she whispers it, it won't be a demand--more like a request and I'll acquiesce. Sometimes she'll ask and follow up with a million dollar smile. I'm very impressed with her creativity at trying to persuade me to give it up. :lol:

We're making progress, though. I'd like to be down to just nursing to her to bed, by the time she hits 18 months. I'd also love for her to take some cow's milk too.
    Amneris wrote: »
    Do you really think those are signs of being too old? JJ is the same age and he still loves nursing and I still think it is reasonable for a baby of his age to want to.

I was joking. But every family does tend to have their own definition of what's "too old."
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Medussa, that is too cute. I don't think I could say no to cajoling or the million-dollar-smile. And a nickname for breastmilk? *melts*
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    Oh yes, I've had Lilly lift up my shirt. She still hasn't figured out how to unlatch my nursing bra. :toothy4:

I think more than anything, Lilly has an emotional attachment to the breast. She certainly doesn't need to nurse but it makes her so damn happy. If I let her, she'd nurse whenever she got the chance. Right now we're working on me saying no and distracting her with toys. It's working a lot better than it did before. When I first started denying her, she'd just sob.

She's funny, though. She'll sometimes sneak up behind me and whisper, "kiki." That's her word for breastmilk. I just crack up because I suspect she thinks that if she whispers it, it won't be a demand--more like a request and I'll acquiesce. Sometimes she'll ask and follow up with a million dollar smile. I'm very impressed with her creativity at trying to persuade me to give it up. :lol:

We're making progress, though. I'd like to be down to just nursing to her to bed, by the time she hits 18 months. I'd also love for her to take some cow's milk too.

that is too cute!
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    She is hilarious. My daughter and husband, love your avatar, BTW. She is a cutie pie.
    Thanks! :)
  • Aphro-DeeziacAphro-Deeziac Posts: 983Registered Users

ahhhh how friggin cute. I dont know how you resist, but good luck at it. Id just get all booboo faced and sit for her, i know im a sucka. i loved nursing and if i handnt had to go back to work after 7 months, i suspect wed still be trying to get her off the teet (she's 9), lol
    26560_1412644406072_1531382664_31035658_3971206_n.jpg
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    when she pulls up a chair for you and pats the seat, so you can sit down and nurse her. :lol:

I've been trying to wean Lilly for months now and have been pretty good at saying no to her. But this new trick is just too hard to resist.

you know your baby is too old for nursing when she's 3, walks into your bedroom in the middle of the night, climbs in bed, and starts nursing before you wake up.
    ... i felt so violated. 

"Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    LOL rainshower! That's too funny, you're a self-service buffet. ;)
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Kaia wrote: »
    LOL rainshower! That's too funny, you're a self-service buffet. ;)

that's exactly what i felt like! :laughing9:
    rainshower wrote: »

you know your baby is too old for nursing when she's 3, walks into your bedroom in the middle of the night, climbs in bed, and starts nursing before you wake up.
    ... i felt so violated. 

omg, that made me laugh so hard.
  • browneyedmamabrowneyedmama Posts: 56Registered Users
    You know your baby is too old for nursing when they put their cup up to your breast and ask for milk. That happened a year ago when he was 1 and a half. He is 2 and a half now and still nurses a couple of times throughout the day.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users
    When he sees you coming out of the shower and hands you a bra as if to say, "cover those things up, Mama!"

Harry did that the other day. (This is day six of his cold turkey weaning.) Used to be if he saw them out, it was party time!
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    You know your baby is too old for nursing when they put their cup up to your breast and ask for milk. That happened a year ago when he was 1 and a half. He is 2 and a half now and still nurses a couple of times throughout the day.
    :laughing8:
    3c/4a
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Not too old, but you know you know your baby is an older nursling when he's nursing in your lap at the breakfast table, reaches out and pulls his high chair over to him, and tries to eat a Cheerio off his tray WHILE nursing.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    Not too old, but you know you know your baby is an older nursling when he's nursing in your lap at the breakfast table, reaches out and pulls his high chair over to him, and tries to eat a Cheerio off his tray WHILE nursing.

duh! who doesn't like milk with their cheerios? :p
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    She's not too old but
    When she's nursing and "pumping your boob" with one hand and talking on her "cell phone" with the other hand.

I've got a budding multi-tasker...

HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    password: curlzorwavez
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    She's not too old but
    When she's nursing and "pumping your boob" with one hand and talking on her "cell phone" with the other hand.

I've got a budding multi-tasker...

Solomon does the same thing! The funniest is in the bath when he's kneeling naked in front of me, nursing on one boob, "pumping" the other boob, and waving his toy shark around with the other hand.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    our son would sit up to switch sides on his own.

our daughter would say, "the otha one pleeze."
    rainshower wrote: »
    our son would sit up to switch sides on his own.

our daughter would say, "the otha one pleeze."

This drives me a little crazy. It seems like she wants to switch sides after only 5 minutes.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    OMG these stories are too cute!!
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users
    So far Lydia has tried to suck her thumb while nursing and tried to blow spit bubbles while nursing. I can't wait till she starts talking!
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Those are such cute stories! Medussa, I love that she calls it "kiki."

JJ must just be a really greedy child, because when he's nursing, he is really focussed on eating, and he doesn't try to do much else (I also don't nurse him while he or I are doing other things so that could be part of it.) He does like to explore my face, touching my nose, putting his hands in my mouth, etc. and he will smile up at me, but generally nursing is the only time when he will stay still! He still likes the same cradle position as when he was a newborn only now his legs are dangling all over the place!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    This thread is hilarious...rainshower I LOL'd at your story.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    Since I have a toddler nursling now, I had to revive this thread and add to it.

Yesterday, Dylan was trying to nurse and read the paper (a grocery store flyer) at the same time. He was getting really irritated that the nipple kept slipping out of his mouth when he turned his head to read.

And for a few days now, when he is finished, he will take the breast with both hands and try to point it up to my mouth as if trying to say "Here, you try some." :lol: He looks at me so incredulously when I tell him no thank you.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Kaia wrote: »
    Yesterday, Dylan was trying to nurse and read the paper (a grocery store flyer) at the same time. He was getting really irritated that the nipple kept slipping out of his mouth when he turned his head to read.

And for a few days now, when he is finished, he will take the breast with both hands and try to point it up to my mouth as if trying to say "Here, you try some." :lol: He looks at me so incredulously when I tell him no thank you.

that. was. HILARIOUS! i busted out laughing at this. :laughing7:

my husband would walk past our son and me, and without missing a beat say, "his foot's almost grazing the carpet." they were ... but his point was that if his legs are so long that his feet are touching the floor, he might be too old for breastfeeding. what did he know?

our daughter was 3 and quite verbal. my left breast always produced less milk than my right one. after nursing from the left side first, she'd tell me that "the nip-nip's all gone from this one" or "the otha one pleeze" and would then switch sides in my lap all on her own, grab my right breast and begin to nurse from it.

on some days when they were older toddlers, it was so methodical that i'd look down and realize, "oh, i'm breastfeeding him/her" because they practically would climb up and latch on with no assistance from me; i was basically along for the ride. ha! :binky:
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    awww...these things are so cute.

They make me sad that my little ones were never that attached to my breasts.