Protein Treatment?

LadyNoaLadyNoa Posts: 320Registered Users
Hi ladies,

I have a question, i've been through several threads and forums searching for a good protein DT.

My hair is currently overconditioned (still don't know how i pulled that one off haha), so i need more protein, but have no clue how *lol*

I read here somewhere that one egg and 5tbs of plain yoghurt make a good protein DT?

I'd love to give it a try if it works, if anyone has ideas, please let me know! :D

TIA!
Hairtype: 3A/3B
Co-Wash: Enliven (Raspberry)
Conditioning: Nubian Heritage Conditioner, Enliven , KCKT
Leave In: Shea Butter Leave In, Mixed Chicks, (trying) GDLI
Styling: L'Oreal Invisi FX gel, Blended Cutie Down and Out Styles,Jessicurl RR & CCSS, CK, (trying) Pink Boots & KY(waiting for CK to arrive)
Currently: Experimenting.

Comments

• stingostingo Posts: 124Registered Users
    Hi LadyNoa,

I've just seen on a couple of other forums that ACV rinses are sometimes advised as an antidote for overconditioning. I'm not sure I understand how ACV would combat overconditioning, but well, I thought I'd report that to you anyway :) Perhaps give it a try?

In your protein treatment, are you supposed to use the entire egg, or just the yolk? All the recipes I've seen use yolks only... (I think the whites are harder to rinse off, plus they might get cooked in your hair if you rinse it with v. warm water.) Well, I just thought I'd throw my two cents in! :glasses3:

Good luck!
    Fia 2c?, F/Mii, porous, below shoulder; Mod.CG since 08/08
    Occasional no/low-poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; KBB Juicy bar; Soap of Alep
    Co-wash: Inecto Coconut; Enliven Raspberry; other local cond.
    Rinse-out & leave-in: KBB Milk
    [If] Styling: KCCC; avocado oil or KBB Butter to STCO
    2nd day: pineapple; KBB Milk+water spray
    Deep Cond.: Inecto Coconut; KBB LLHMask
    Scalp massages: Jessicurl Scalp Oil; avocado+rosemary oils
    Daily battle: my fussy scalp (just started Nizoral :()
  • LadyNoaLadyNoa Posts: 320Registered Users
    Hi stingo! Thanks again for replying!! I was wondering about the whole egg or only the yolk, i wasn't sure about it!
    I do know that when you use and entire egg (whites and all) you're supposed to rinse your hair with cold water, otherwise the egg will "cook" in your hair *lol* !

I think i'll try to use the whole egg first, and hope i'll be able to get it out afterwards :laughing2:

The ACV rinses do work btw!! I did one yesterday after my waterwash, and this morning again, followed by a tini tiny but of conditioner and NO leave in.
    My hair is defenitely overconditioned, because normally i can't get away without leave in, but totday i didn't use any of it and my hair is still really soft!

Curldefenition is starting to pop back into my hair, so i'll keep doing what i'm doing, and use the DT tomorrow :D

I'll post an update afterwards, to let you know if my hair got better or eggy *lol*
    Styling: L'Oreal Invisi FX gel, Blended Cutie Down and Out Styles,Jessicurl RR & CCSS, CK, (trying) Pink Boots & KY(waiting for CK to arrive)
    Hi Stingo,

Well i tried the egg/yoghurt mixture last night, and it worked i think :)
    My hair felt a little dry when rinsing out, but a little bit of leave in took care of that.
    I used it on wet hair yesterday but I think i'll try it on dry hair again end of this week.
    My hair is still really soft and fluffy, hopefully it'll turn back to normal after a few more acv rinses and the second protein treatment :D
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    An ACV rinse helps to restore the pH balance to the hair. I wouldn't do it back to back days but 2-3 times in a week could help.

Anytime you do a protein treatment, I think it should ALWAYS be followed by a good moisturizing conditioner. Egg whites especially can be drying to the hair. I have also read that the protein molecules in egg whites are too large to be absorbed by the hair shaft. Maybe one of our chemists could chime in on that one...never used eggs myself, I just eat them.:chef:

Struttswife has a good explanation on pH or acidity of the hair at her blog: http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/

Good luck!
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

Hi LadyNoa,

Good to hear you can see some improvement! Hm, be careful with those egg whites and the ACV rinses (as mpgirl suggests)... I guess moderation is key?... :?

Forgot to ask this earlier--have you tried a low-poo or soap bar?

Cheers,
    stingo
    Thanks mpgirl and stingo! I'll be carefull with those eggwithes, i'll try using the yolk only next time.

It's kind of frustrating though, cause my hair just won't cooperate anymore :(

I tried a clarifying shampoo this morning, you got me thinking about that Stingo LOL
    I completely forgot what a clarifying shampoo had to contain in order for it to be clarifying!
    I used my regular CON before, and the MopTop gentle clarifying shampoo once.

This morning i used one of the harshest (is that a word?) shampoos i have in my bathroom, i never ever used it since going CG cause it's really drying.
    But my brother swears by it, to get the dirt out of his hair after work.
    He's a welder, so he has to clean his hair with a harsh shampoo in order to get the dirt out.

I used his shampoo, and got squeaky clean hair, it felt horrible.
    After rinsing completely i added a pea size amount of condish, and the ickyness was immediately gone.

Didn't use a leave in condish and styled my hair with some mousse and gel.

Guess what... my hair is still limp and UBERsoft!!!
    Even after washing with that horrible poo :sad1:

I'm really sad and don't know what to do next.. I got so used to my "working" routine, that i have absolutely no clue anymore about what to do..

My hair just looks so sad and limp.. :(
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    It can take some time to bounce back from over conditioning. Keep using the ACV rinse and keep the conditioners to a minimum for a few days. How often are you washing your hair? Maybe too often? You might need to give your own oils a chance to balance back out.

Maybe some others who have actually had this condition can chime in. I have never dealt with it personally.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

sorry to hear that, LadyNoa! Don't know what else to suggest, but mpgirl is making a good point about washing too often perhaps. My hair gets increasingly dry indoors (heated air), particularly on 2nd days... so maybe try to wash/condition every other day (or more), as opposed to every day?

I've been overconditioned too, but it did not take me long to get back to my usual dry hair :shock: (I think I just went a bit easier on the conditioner/leave-in). I usually wet/condition my hair every other day, though.

well, on the bright side, too much moisture is better than too little for the health of your hair... in the long run... right?

good luck and don't lose hope; I'm sure you'll have your curls and volume back soon! Maybe your hair needs a little time (and perhaps a little break). In the meantime, you may want to put it up or pull it back (gently) - you'll notice it less and you might get through this period more easily this way...
    :flower:
    just got an idea, maybe it's silly, but... I was thinking about how glycerin can dry out my hair in dry winter air (particularly indoors) - so if you do have dry air, maybe you can use some leave-in or styler that has lots of humectants, like KBB Nectar for instance? In theory at least, humectants would draw the moisture out of your hair to balance it with the dry air. You might just end up with lots of frizz though...
    :scratch:
    Thanks so much you guys, you're really a great help!
    I really hoped it would be over within a day or 2-3 but apparently my hair doesn't agree *lol*

I don't wash my hair very often,I use a low poo once a week or once every ten days, and used to cowash twice a week i think, not sure actually, i used to cowash when my scalp felt icky haha!
    I do wet it everyday, and normally i would condition the length everyday too, but now i'm staying away from conditioner unless my hair get's really tangled.

I've never managed to get 2nd day hair with just misting a little water and adding a little gel..
    I always have to get my hair completely wet in order to make it look good. (after my standards ofcourse, everyone else thinks i look fine when i roll out of bed with a frizzy poofball on top of my head LOL)

I think i'm going to waterwash tomorrow morning and do nothing to it at all, just gently pull my hair back like you suggested Stingo..
    I get sad by just looking in the mirror whenever i pass one.. :(

Hopefully my curls will come back soon, i'm really starting to miss them..
    Silly huh? I used to hate my hair, always wishing i had stick straight hair, and now i really love my crazy curly hair, and it decides it's time for a vacation *lol*
  • RupertsWifeRupertsWife Posts: 492Registered Users
    How do you know if your hair is over-conditioned? What are the symptoms? Since the weather change, I have no idea what my hair is up to :?

3b/c mix; mixture of fine, med. and coarse texture with med-high porosity

Current HG routine: Tresemme Naturals conditioner; AG Fast Food LI; AG Recoil; CJ CIAB = no crunch, lots of body and awesome definition :thumbup:

:rolleyes: Dutchess Daydreamer of the Desert Sands in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    :rolleyes:

http://public.fotki.com/crazycurlz21/
    password:rupert
    well for me it's that my hair is TOO soft, won't hold a curl no matter how much gel i put in it, and it frizzes :?

it's not behaving in any way.. and it's still driving me nuts :(
    Can I be in your club, LadyNoa? :eye: My hair's started acting up really bad too... It's either soft and frizzy like yours, or dry and stiff and frizzy (if I try to avoid the softness and limpness), or stringy (if I try to 'seal in' moisture with an oil on wet hair, like I read somewhere), or hard and fake-looking and drying in like 10 hours and giving my scalp the itchies (if I use commercial gel in order to avoid the messiness and limpness). And I can't make FSG work. :angry8:

The annoyance barometer shows alarming signs: I've started contemplating a haircut!... even though I want to grow my crappy layers out as much as possible before fixing them (and going to yet another random stylist is basically murder with intent :))

So... are we just waiting for summer to come and make us look good again, or what?
    :sad9:
    oh, i should add that lately i've have somewhat better hair outdoors than indoors... so I'm thinking that all these problems must be related to the lower dewpoints outside (and lower than low inside, I imagine)... I've considered buying a humidifier, but they're not cheap and I'll move out of Poland in March anyway... not worth it... Hm. Now that I think of it, maybe my sanity would be worth it, though. Will give it some more thought...
    :sad11:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file