My hair mildewed.

The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
I usually wet my hair every day. And now it's finally long enough to do several different styles, including a casual updo.

So I put my hair up in the back using a big comb (while wet) and then I got a whiff of my head when a breeze blew by! I rubbed my scalp with my fingers and the part that had been up stank! Like mildew! Other parts of my head didn't.

Don't laugh. Well, OK, go ahead...
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• Miss.Four-AMiss.Four-A Registered Users Posts: 160
    looooooooooooooooooooool eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww

only laughing under your consent though

:love7:
  • CammybCammyb Registered Users Posts: 576 Curl Neophyte
    Lmao! Though this may have been intended to be taken seriously I almost fell on the floor in laughter. I'm at work and I can't control myself, someone make it stop!:laughing4:
    uXBum4.png

"There’s just an certain aura a woman exudes when she has natural hair. She walks differently. Her swag is on full tilt. There’s a sense of confidence and je ne sais quoi that emanates from her spirit. Whatever it is it’s sexy as all hell and turns me on" -Anslem Samuel
    www.fotki.com/1cammyb
    www.piinkcamellias.blogspot.com
    www.youtube.com/1cammyb
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Registered Users Posts: 1,316
    Use a little baking soda next time you go to wash it and it will get the odor out.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • Miss.Four-AMiss.Four-A Registered Users Posts: 160
    OMG cammyb i thought it was just me my stomachs actually hurting......

no but seriously as long as your hair aint being harmed this is actually V.funny to read lol i keep coming back to look at the thread lol im such a sado

let us know how you resolve the situation

xxxxxxxx
  • KitathenaKitathena Registered Users Posts: 1,666 Curl Neophyte
    Yikes! Maybe you can use a little tea tree oil here and there (in a carrier oil) to prevent that next time. Sorry it happened :(
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Yep, it's pretty funny...Thanks for the advice!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • curlymaybecurlymaybe Registered Users Posts: 354
    vinegar kills mildew in your shower and on your head:sunny:
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    LMAO you guys are stupid!!! :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

I didn't know hair could mildew! I thought it was a myth like unicorns and mermaids!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• NayaNaya Registered Users Posts: 922
    I didn't know this either. Um.. how long had your hair been pulled up before the "stank" set in?

*tries unsuccessfully not to laugh*

No seriously, my hair is ALWAYS wet as it refuses to dry, did this happen over a period of days?
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    its happened to me before. when i finally had enough hair to wear it in a bun, i would put my wet hair in a bun and just re-smooth the edges everyday for days at a time. when i finally took it down thats when i smelled my stink hair. the middle part had never dried! it was pretty gross. one shampoo got rid of the yucky smell.

i remember years ago on oprah. she was giving makeovers and one lady they gave a makeover to had super long thick 3c hair. she always wore her hair ina bun or a braid and her hair mildewed so bad that other people around her would tell her how bad her hair smelled! if i remember correctly after the makeover they didnt straighten her hair, they just cut it to get rid of some of the length.
  • vkb247vkb247 Registered Users Posts: 266 Curl Neophyte
    I am sorry to hear this happened to you and I don't think that it is funny at all. Do whatever you need to to prevent this from happening again :pale:

I have a lot of hair on my head and besides wringing out the excess water, I don't dry my hair. I brush it up into a banana clip and go about my business so the middle of my head can stay wet for quite some time and it will start to get musty in there if I don't go out of my way to let it dry or wash it again. I live in a really humid place and anything (shoes, clothes, etc.) will grow mildew on it if it is left alone for a period of time.

This scares the crap out of me because I know that tea tree oil, neem oil, and monistat are effective as growth aids because fungus and bacteria can grow on your scalp and eat your hair!!!!!!!

So I don't let this happen anymore and will definitely start ACV rinsing more often if this is an effective way to prevent this.
    Ayurveda Addict:love5:
    I Henna, Cowashing, Poo bars, KCCC, Eco Styler, Oils & Oil Rinsing and Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier:blob3:
    Always Playing with Herbs or Making Products
    :occasion7:Texlaxed <-- Click 4 Pics
  • TK*TK* Registered Users Posts: 885
    I don't really think it's that funny either. I'm very sorry you have this situation to deal with. I would like to know how this happened so that I (and others) won't make the same mistake. (I hardly ever do up-dos, cuz I'm too lazy to...but if I ever did one I would always take it out before I went to bed)

I always use tea tree oil on my hair, it's a good disinfectant for odors and other nasty bugs/bacteria/etc. Baking soda and tea tree sounds like a good idea. Either that or a good shampooing.

Hope the smell goes away.
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    as some others have said, this is serious. when i had locs i had to make sure my hair dried and didn't stay moist all day or there would be a smell.

a shampoo and a good drying should help. don't put your hair up and leave it up all day without making sure it can "breathe" and dry as the day goes on.

think about it...anything that stays wet all the time gets damaged. hang in there. let us know how it turns out.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
    I have very long hair (mid-back length)....and have had long hair for most of my life (down to my hip). Trust, I had this problem too.

I washed my hair almost everyday and put it straight up into a bun or ponytail right afterwards. Then, in middle school....I realized that I had a mildew-y smell come from my head when I took down my ponytail.

I realized it was because my hair was perpetually wet. At least in the center of my head it was.

To combat that I:

Only wash my hair once, maybe twice, a week (this ensures that my hair is dry for several days before washing again)
    Air-dry my hair in twists or braids (this allows all of my hair and scalp to dry) or
    Place tea tree oil in the middle of my scalp when I put my hair in a ponytail or bun right out of the shower (to kill any fungus or bacteria that may grow)

I hope my tips help you.
    You are not alone. All you have to do now is make a few alterations to how you dry and style your hair
    :)
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • teshonteshon Registered Users Posts: 1,127
    So I don't let this happen anymore and will definitely start ACV rinsing more often if this is an effective way to prevent this.
    Finally...a reason to love ACV rinses. So sorry this happen, but I know the feeling. Somewhere there's a thread floating about where I had the same issue! For me, it wasn't an 'updo' matter, but a product combo! I think it was Curls MS and AOMM, not sure. I started a thread called sticky hair or something like that...lol The thread is a year old. Anyway, it would take all dang day for my hair to dry with that combo, which raised some concern when revisiting the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. It was like history repeating itself. Can't do the soggy, stinky scalp thing...nope, sorry!
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
  • TK*TK* Registered Users Posts: 885
    What is a ACV rinse? And how do you do it? :scratch:
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
    TK* wrote: »
    What is a ACV rinse? And how do you do it? :scratch:

Apple Cider Vinegar
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • AjidahkAjidahk Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    Sometimes my hair gets that mildew smell after it's been up for a while after washing. I don't know how to stop it though. I wear my hair in a bun 100% of the time and I have to have it damp in order to put into a smooth ponytail. Maybe i'll twist it after I wash it, and let it dry that way. I'll do this at night.

My brushes also start to smell like mildew very quickly because I wet them to smooth my hair back and then, I'll add gel on my edges and brush my hair into a ponytail. The gel and leave-in condish in my hair create a gunk in my brushes that can get kinda gross, but I wash my brushes frequently though.
    Hair Type: 4a with 3c sections...frizzy,wavy,bushy,curly
    Thanks everyone! Good tips. I will definitely try one of them when I wash again. I co-washed when I realized my head was what was stinking. I'll prolly wash again on Sunday before work.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• ParatyParaty Registered Users Posts: 394
    Are you sure it was mildew? This happens to my hair when I keep updos (done on wet hair) in for more than three days. I assumed it was just my scalp getting diry after a few days. I usually just a. deal with it and clarify when I take the updo down b. Take the updo down, co-wash my scalp and put it back up or c. take the updo down mid-week, use my Giovanni tea tree and do another style. If you are positive that it's mildew, then I think I need to see a trichologist. I was born with a mold growth on my scalp that had to be surgically removed so I am paranoid about those things. :laughing1:
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I've had mildew before too. It happened because I pulled my hair back into a bun when wet all of the time and the hair never completely dried. Washing helps. Even now with short hair that I pin back (the front) I sometimes get a sniff of mildew. I just do an ACV rinse, shampoo (nonsulfate) or dry with a blow dryer and diffuser.

Subbrock -- I remember that Oprah episode. They gave her a bob that was long enough to pull into a ponytail. They didn't even change her curl pattern. The stylist thought with the lady's lifestyle and the curliness of her hair that it would be difficult to wear straight on a daily basis. Oprah couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't a perm. LOL.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    Paraty wrote: »
    Are you sure it was mildew? This happens to my hair when I keep updos (done on wet hair) in for more than three days. I assumed it was just my scalp getting diry after a few days. I usually just a. deal with it and clarify when I take the updo down b. Take the updo down, co-wash my scalp and put it back up or c. take the updo down mid-week, use my Giovanni tea tree and do another style. If you are positive that it's mildew, then I think I need to see a trichologist. I was born with a mold growth on my scalp that had to be surgically removed so I am paranoid about those things. :laughing1:

I'm not sure, but it sure smelled mildewy.

How did you get mold in the womb?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• ParatyParaty Registered Users Posts: 394
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Paraty wrote: »

I'm not sure, but it sure smelled mildewy.

How did you get mold in the womb?

Lord knows. I think it was the fact that my head was wet for a couple of months;-)
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • TrenellTrenell Registered Users Posts: 3,562 Curl Connoisseur
    hahah. That's happened to me MANY times. I think it comes from pulling hair back when it's wet.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    this is very strange....because my hair stays wet for at least 1-2 days after I wash...even when I had a perm this was the case. I've never had my hair mildew....and its usually in a bun or puff or pulled back. I think that it might be more than just wet hair that causes this...sorta like when some people just keep getting yeast infections. It might have something to do with your body chemistry or even immune systems. I dunno but I would go to a doctor and check it out just to be sure.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TrenellTrenell Registered Users Posts: 3,562 Curl Connoisseur
    this is very strange....because my hair stays wet for at least 1-2 days after I wash...even when I had a perm this was the case. I've never had my hair mildew....and its usually in a bun or puff or pulled back. I think that it might be more than just wet hair that causes this...sorta like when some people just keep getting yeast infections. It might have something to do with your body chemistry or even immune systems. I dunno but I would go to a doctor and check it out just to be sure.

It might have something to do with the products left in as well.
  • yellacurlzyellacurlz Registered Users Posts: 13
    Baking soda works best for me.
    nsS120x60.gif
  • Kurly QueKurly Que Registered Users Posts: 52
    I've had mildew before too. It happened because I pulled my hair back into a bun when wet all of the time and the hair never completely dried. Washing helps. Even now with short hair that I pin back (the front) I sometimes get a sniff of mildew. I just do an ACV rinse, shampoo (nonsulfate) or dry with a blow dryer and diffuser.

I totally agree with multicultcurly. This used to happen to my fellow curly-haired friend. She would wash her hair and put it up. Then a few days later when she was ready to co-wash again, it would still be wet and smelled like mildew.

When my natural hair was long I would let it dry a little before putting it up. I hope this helps.
    Mostly 3C with some 3B.
    My favorites are Henna, Castor Oil, Olive Oil, Qhemet and SheaMoisture.
    http://members.fotki.com/kurlyque/about/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file