PSA: FDA Finds Traces of Melamine in U.S. Infant Formula

webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
hello.world.

Comments

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks. I saw this on the news this morning and checked it out. That's the formula my niece is supposed to be eating. I don't know what my sister will decide to do, but she's still nursing and pumping. I've had the baby for the last week and a half but on Monday she goes to day care and my sis will bf at lunch.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    Ugh.

But to keep things in perspective, a quote from the article Webbie posted:

In China, melamine was intentionally dumped into watered-down milk to trick food quality tests into showing higher protein levels than actually existed. Byproducts of the milk ended up in infant formula, coffee creamers, even biscuits.

The concentrations of melamine there were extraordinarily high, as much as 2,500 parts per million. The concentrations detected in the FDA samples were 10,000 times smaller _ the equivalent of a drop in a 64-gallon trash bin.

• DelmaDelma Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I'm so glad I'm fortunate enough to be able to exclusively breastfeed.

• FieryCurlsFieryCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,904
    I am packing to leave for Thanksgiving in a couple of hours, so I don't have time right now to read the article or even skim it. Could someone say what kind of formula? My daughter drinks Enfamil Lipil with Iron, concentrate. Thanks.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    FieryCurls wrote: »
    I am packing to leave for Thanksgiving in a couple of hours, so I don't have time right now to read the article or even skim it. Could someone say what kind of formula? My daughter drinks Enfamil Lipil with Iron, concentrate. Thanks.

This is from the article:

According to FDA data for tests of 77 infant formula samples, a trace concentration of melamine was detected in one product _ Mead Johnson's Infant Formula Powder, Enfamil LIPIL with Iron. An FDA spreadsheet shows two tests were conducted on the Enfamil, with readings of 0.137 and 0.14 parts per million.
    Three tests of Nestle's Good Start Supreme Infant Formula with Iron detected an average of 0.247 parts per million of cyanuric acid, a melamine byproduct.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file