Help please-unhappy and lost

kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
I am very unhappy with my body and would like to start being more healthy. I am a student, but I cook a lot of my meals- like Spaghetti, chilli, lasagna, shepherds pie, meatballs, risotto etc but dont tend to have a lot of vegetables, and hardly any fruit. I have plain cereal for breakfast like shreddies/cornflakes and apple juice.

My main problem is that I snack throughout the day rather than have lunch (I have a weird mental issue in that the thought of lunch makes me feel sick-for example I hate eating out (unless a proper meal at nice restaurant that looks clean and feels unthreatening) and only really feel comfortable eating at home, (and then I still prefer a hot dinner at lunchtime). So I buy sweets and chocolate and snack on these. I can eat a lot of these now without feeling ill- so I know I am eating way too much as my body is more and more used to sugary things. I try cutting them down/out of my diet but get bad sugar cravings and not having something makes my mealtimes feel dull and boring. I dont snack on crisps and chips-my problem seems to be sugar.

How do I overcome this? How do I enjoy food without hating it? I find a lot of fruit and veg boring and horrible tasting. I also have OAS so am allergic to things like apples, kiwi etc. I want to be healthy and loose weight so I feel confident and happy and live life to the full. This started 8 yrs or so ago when I was bullied at school and now its a bad habit I cant break.

Comments

• ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The problem is you have to just do it (as in eat healthier). I don't really like veggies either, although I wouldn't call them horrible. But I am eating a lot more of them recently because I have DECIDED to eat healthier. I know some people have a harder time than others, but really there is nothing anyone else can do for you. I love sugar, but I am cutting back lately. I don't want to, but if I want to take off the 9 pounds I need to lose then I have no choice. I could use the excuse that I am older and we all know that older people have slower metabolisms and it really is harder to lose weight. But I am not going to let that be an excuse. (I do believe it's true though).

Why don't you start with incorporating more fruit into your diet since you do eat some of that? Eat that instead of, not in addition to, some of your sugary lunch snacks. It might be a start.
  • tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    ironically I think the small frequent snacking habit is going to help you kick the sugar craving. lots of people crave sweets when their blood sugar is low. small frequent snacks help keep the blood sugar stable.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As far as exercise I highly recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/Method-Body-2-Pack-Designer-Sculpting/dp/B00011D172/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227810230&sr=8-4

These are no impact body shaping and I am one who hates exercise also. Also, try Lotte Berk and Callanetics. All of these systems are based on Lotte Berk if you want to do research.

There are Lotte Berk DVDs at amazon and those exercises are only 25 minutes.
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    To me it sounds like you are needing protein in your diet - sounds like you are living on carbs (cereal, sweets, pasta etc), which means your blood sugar is probably pretty unstable (and could potential result in diabetes, as well as weight gain).

I'm not a fan of fruit and veg (no way do I get my '5 a day'), but I try to get some in per day. I don't find fruit at all filling.

Not sure I really understand the lunch issue, so will probably say the wrong thing here (apologies for this). Can you not take something with you, so you don't have to worry about how/where it was made etc?
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • buffiebuffie Posts: 184Registered Users
    Have you ever heard the phrase "the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step"? Well, this is so true. If you apply it to wanting to be healthy and thus reap the benefits of being healthy then try it. You say your issues started 8 years ago and I believe you. So you have to realize that it's going to take a whole lot of effort and commitment to make the changes you want. But you also should start small and celebrate your accomplishments along the way.

For example, don't try dieting and making any major lifestyle changes all at once. It is best to try to make one or two changes at a time. Once you have made that change a part of your life and it becomes like second nature then you can set out to make another change.

Try to stop a bad habit like eating too much chocolate or candy in one day. But allow yourself one piece of really good chocolate so you don't feel deprived. You like spaghetti, change from regular flour pasta to a more nutritious multi grain or whole wheat pasta. You like to make lasagna, chop up some zucchini and spinach and throw it in with your cheese and you've added a veggie without even thinking about it. Slice up a banana and put it in your cereal in the morning.

Try not to label foods as "good" or "bad". If you label something as "bad" then you'll feel guilty about wanting it and having it. Nothing is "bad" for you unless you have an allergy to it or your doc has said to stay away from it. All foods are okay in moderation.

And don't beat yourself up if you feel you have a bad day. It's unrealistic to expect perfection all the time. Set realistic goals for yourself. Set short-term goals like drinking more water every day til it becomes a habit. Then set a long-term goal like being down a size in 4 months and being able to walk up 3 flights of steps without stopping.

And keep a journal. Write down how you feel on a particular day and what you had to eat and maybe you'll find out some things about yourself too.

I hope this helps you and I'm sorry if it's so long.
    "How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?" - from a t-shirt my brother gave me years ago. I loved it!

Have discovered I cannot live without KCCC and plopping. Always knew that I was dependant on my diffuser.
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I, like you, am allergic to a lot of foods in raw form, especially fruits. Like you, my mouth gets all itchy when I eat certain foods. I found that I can tolerate fruit that has been modified such as by being canned and canned fruit is pretty cheap. I also do alright with steamed veggies too, but I don't eat them as much.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thank you for the suggestions and replies! Im sorry took me while to read them! Its interesting that you say I am eating a lot of carbs- I wouldn't have known this- I find it very difficult to understand all the different types and categories of food etc and what a healthy balance is. I know it shouldn't be hard to understand but I just cant seem to grasp the concept.

I really enjoy cooking so I am interested in learning about it and finding out some new recipes- growing up at home we never really experimented much with food or fruit- so now I live on my own it can be a little overwhelming about what to try out and how I can incorporate it into my meals.
  • Hermoineâ„¢Hermoineâ„¢ Banned Posts: 93Banned Users
    kat180 wrote: »
    I am very unhappy with my body and would like to start being more healthy. I am a student, but I cook a lot of my meals- like Spaghetti, chilli, lasagna, shepherds pie, meatballs, risotto etc but dont tend to have a lot of vegetables, and hardly any fruit. I have plain cereal for breakfast like shreddies/cornflakes and apple juice.

My main problem is that I snack throughout the day rather than have lunch (I have a weird mental issue in that the thought of lunch makes me feel sick-for example I hate eating out (unless a proper meal at nice restaurant that looks clean and feels unthreatening) and only really feel comfortable eating at home, (and then I still prefer a hot dinner at lunchtime). So I buy sweets and chocolate and snack on these. I can eat a lot of these now without feeling ill- so I know I am eating way too much as my body is more and more used to sugary things. I try cutting them down/out of my diet but get bad sugar cravings and not having something makes my mealtimes feel dull and boring. I dont snack on crisps and chips-my problem seems to be sugar.

How do I overcome this? How do I enjoy food without hating it? I find a lot of fruit and veg boring and horrible tasting. I also have OAS so am allergic to things like apples, kiwi etc. I want to be healthy and loose weight so I feel confident and happy and live life to the full. This started 8 yrs or so ago when I was bullied at school and now its a bad habit I cant break.

Modify your portions and caloric intake.
    Adopt a fitness/exercise regimen that works for your day to day schedule. The elimination or reduction of meats and seafood from your diet will also go a long way to support your fitness regimen.
    Hermoine™ (He really loves them, but i so :hate: my freckles)

Natural (Biological) Hair Type: Combination Hair Dry to Normal (straighties, wavies and curlies on both sides) XYZ
    Natural (Biological) Skin Tone: Type I/Fair (Dry to Normal)
    Queen of the Waifs (with or w/o this funky tan)
    http://www.onlinecliniqueforum.forumotion.com
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    kat180 wrote: »

Modify your portions and caloric intake.
    Adopt a fitness/exercise regimen that works for your day to day schedule. The elimination or reduction of meats and seafood from your diet will also go a long way to support your fitness regimen.

I think I am missing something here. From everything I have read, protein is vital for the building of muscle which promotes the loss of fat and also very important when doing any kind of fitness routine. You can get enough protein from various sources (beans, soya, whey) if you`re vegetarian but lean protein (turkey and chicken breast, white fish, salmon, and many more) are part of a healthy lifestyle if you`re not.

kat - as someone already said your snacking is a huge benefit to you. A lot of people eat 3 squares and have a hard time switching to smaller more frequent meals. Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day make it easier to avoid hunger and minimize those blood sugar spikes.

If you don`t like fruit you could always try smoothies.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file