Go CG with KBB (only)?

nordicanordica Registered Users Posts: 7
Once I finish my newly bought and really expensive Alterna products with sulfates and cones, I'm going CG of some sort. :blob7:
Almost can't wait, and I'm soooo sad I ordered these products only a few days before I stumbled across this forum and the CG method.. You all amaze me with you're knowledge in products and haircare!!
When my bottles are close to empty I will shop for CG friendly products, and hope for miracles for my hair :toothy7:

So, my questiones:
Do you think it's possible to go CG with KBB only?
I live in Norway, and it's really hard to find CG friendly products here, so I have to order online (and pay A LOT in shipping and customs..).
I really want to try out the KBB line, and was hoping I could find everything I need in this line..

I have 3a superfine, superfrizzy, quite porous hair with highlights.

I'm thinking of ordering the KBB milk and SS, and use this as RO or LI. But are they any good for CO washing? If not, can I use some of the other conditioners in the KBB line for COwash?
I was also thinking of ordering a KBB shampoo to use in case I feel like I need it once in a while. I hope this is OK in the CG regimen..? Or would it be better to use a bar for this purpose?
Since my hair is really dry I'm also going to order the hair mask. (I allready do moist masks reguarly, but of course, not CG friendly :))

For styling I was thinking of using a gel - Sweet orange and silk protein styling gel- from John Masters, wich is a line I actually can buy here in Norway.
(I think I read in another thread that it is Cg friendly)

I'll find a clearifying shampoo to start out with at my hairdressers, I think..

Really hope someone can give me advice on this :)

Comments

• stingostingo Registered Users Posts: 124
    Hi Nordica, welcome to the board. There are curlies out there who have been using KBB far longer than I, but I'll throw my two cents in.

I would definitely order the Milk as a rinse-out and perhaps leave-in (I even use it as refresher in a spritz, mixed with water, for 2nd day hair). It's good for winter.

Don't know if your hair gets weighed down easily, but if you say it's porous, it probably doesn't... in that case, I would not recommend the SS (too light for right now). Well, some people like it, but you have to know what your hair needs. Or simply give it a try.

I'd recommend the Mask (very nice!) and one of the conditioners. I've used the Deep Conditioner as a rinse-out and liked it, although I may have gotten a bit overconditioned with it (curl got pulled down significantly, but then again, it was a bad day, went to sleep with wet hair... blah.)

Haven't tried any of the shampoos, but I've used the soap bar for hair (the Juicy formula, included in the Sweet Treat Pack). I think it's good for occasional gentle clarifying.

The Nectar is waiting for more humid days, haven't gotten any good results with it in this weather. (I'm in Poland, btw.)

I've used the Hair Cream and Butter to scrunch out the crunch and occasionally as DT (the Cream). I think I prefer the Butter these days for scrunching the crunch (because it has no glycerin).

I don't use any KBB for co-washing though... a bit too expensive for that! Can you get Suave in Norway? Also look for Inecto Pure Coconut Oil (it's a CG-friendly conditioner, some find it heavy but I like it so far, either as DT or rinse-out). I've bought it in the Netherlands for some 4 euros.

You may want to scout your local natural/biological (or just regular cosmetic) stores for CG-friendly products, too. I've found a few locally-produced conditioners here -- not super great, but good enough for co-washing.

Re: styling, I'm using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]DevaCurl Angel[/buylink]l, which I actually like... (decided I'd fork out the rather huge intl. shipping fees on CurlMart for once, but I won't be doing that again anytime soon -- got the big bottle, he he). Not familiar with the John Masters gel, but why not give it a try? Read the ingredients carefully, though.

Btw, KBB shipping fee for Europe is quite reasonable! (The lowest I've seen.)

oh, oh, one more thing. Check the Jessicurl website for store location 'international.' She lists some European websites that carry her products (and other CG-friendly products as well.) I've only used Mariposa so far (NL) but there is one in DK, one in SE, one in DE, one in FR... They don't carry KBB, but you may want to check them out for co-wash or styling products.

Ok, that's all I could think of. HTH and good luck!
    Fia 2c?, F/Mii, porous, below shoulder; Mod.CG since 08/08
    Occasional no/low-poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; KBB Juicy bar; Soap of Alep
    Co-wash: Inecto Coconut; Enliven Raspberry; other local cond.
    Rinse-out & leave-in: KBB Milk
    [If] Styling: KCCC; avocado oil or KBB Butter to STCO
    2nd day: pineapple; KBB Milk+water spray
    Deep Cond.: Inecto Coconut; KBB LLHMask
    Scalp massages: Jessicurl Scalp Oil; avocado+rosemary oils
    Daily battle: my fussy scalp (just started Nizoral :()
  • CurlyFireHorseCurlyFireHorse Registered Users Posts: 350 Curl Neophyte
    I love the KBB line and yes you could definitely go CG with this alone. My main concern would be having products to rotate it with. My hair is 3a, superfine and overly porous and it will do wonderful with a product for a while then will start looking bad. So I change products and this solves my problem. I suggest going to the natural section of curl talk and try some of the all natural at home recipes.

Also, the shampoo you have is clarifying your hair everytime you use it. So once your KBB comes in, just wash one last time and use your KBB and you will be CG. :blob5:
    CurlyFireHorse
    Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
    Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
    Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
    Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
    Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
  • nordicanordica Registered Users Posts: 7
    Oh my! Thank you ever so much for your advice stingo, and for the tip about chekking the jessicurl site for international store locationes. I found a norwegian webstore who carries the jessicurl line!!! :toothy8: (endless googeling didn't help, so without your tip I never would have discovered it!) And I even forund a site in Denmark who carrie both jessicurl and suave, so maybe I can order som less expensive condish for COwashing.
    And thanks for the tip on rotating products CurlyFireHorse. With my new bookmarked sites, I think I can find additional products to the KBB line.

You were both very helpful to me, thank you so much!

Now I just have to use huuuge amounts of the products i recently bought to get them over with, I can't wait to get startet with this.

...Yesterday I took a loong, hard look in the mirror, and I found that my curls are maybee 3a only in the front. At the back of my head it's mostly 2 somthing I think. I wonder where my curls went.. A year ago they were still here. I hope it's just a fase (I'm pregnant :)) and that my curls will come back. I really miss them...
    Glad I could help, and hurray for the Norwegian site! (I'd forgotten there was one)

Congrats for the pregnancy! From what I've read and seen, some women do lose some of their curliness when they are pregnant (I myself haven't been there yet :)) but they say it tends to come back a few months after giving birth.

But I'll bet that going CG alone will enhance your curls to a certain degree; I was a messy wavy before August and today, for instance, I'm having a 3b moment (well, it does vary a lot from day to day, but on the whole I'm a lot curlier than I used to be--in my adult years, that is).

Good luck and finish those non-CG products quickly! :) My sister is doing the same, btw, she's got a ton of cone-ladden stuff and is determined to finish all that before going CG. I don't know where she finds the will-power! I just switched from one day to the next and didn't look back (dumped my old products on family and friends ;-)). Guess a horrid haircut really helped with that decision, he he--I needed to hide the chop and make my hair look better FAST! If I hadn't had that haircut I probably wouldn't even have stumbled on CG and nc.com, so in a strange way I owe it all to that hairdresser who butchered my hair in August :)
    Thank you for the congrats on my pregnancy stingo. I'm very happy now that the extreme nausea I experienced is finally gone. I think both the pregnancy it self and the fact that I hardly got any nutrition for 3-4 months have made an impact on my hair.
    Hopfully the curls will come back - But I've just looked through some of my old photoalbums from my early 20ies - and I can deffinetly see that my curls have become less curly over the years.. I think it's just the way it is..

Well, a year ago I was just finishing breastfeeding my first child, and i had more curl then compared to now - so I have faith in that they will return :)

If the stuff I bought hadn't been so expensive i just would have jumped right in to CG, but my husband insits that I use what I have first :)
    (He's not really my husband but I don't think thereis an english word for this - in Norway its common to live together as husband and wife without getting married - we soon have 2 childred together and have been together for 7 years or so :))

I'm "glad" you got that bad haircut afterall ;) I'm so happy you are here advicing me :)
    oh yes... not eating right and being nauseous all the time has got to have an impact! Glad that part is over! Who knows, things might get better even before you give birth if you eat enough protein and... fish... and... nuts... and stuff :scratch: (ha ha, I'm not very good at this)

you can say 'partner' or SO (significant other) instead of 'husband' (kind of vague, but suits the purpose). Or, depending on your mood, 'my man,' 'lovah,' 'sweetie,' 'man of my dreams,' 'that guy over there who for some reason seems to live in the same house as I do'... etc. I'll let you fill in the rest :)

but seriously now, congrats on your first baby too! and your relationship. He sounds like a wise one--from the perspective of a normal, sane person of course you should finish the expensive stuff you've just ordered before you try something new! :-| Well, I'm lucky nobody monitors me--I live alone at the moment--or I'd be getting the same disciplinary treatment, ha ha. My bf already rolls his eyes whenever he hears I've put yet another product (or food) in my hair :-D He loves my hair though, so he puts up with the insanity (so far). Plus, for my sake too, I really do hope it's going to get simpler and easier once I get to know my hair better (throughout the seasons).

to get back to the original subject, today (2nd day after wash) I've used some KBB Butter on scalp & hair, plus some Milk spritz on my hair, because it all felt so dry. So the Butter may work like that too (on days of dryness), not just for scrunching out the crunch on wash days. My hair is softer now but a bit messy; I think the spritz made it that way.

Whoa, look at me ranting! Sorry--guess I was looking for a way to prolong my lunch break :hiding:

Do report on your progress once you go CG! Fingers crossed.
    stingo wrote: »
    My bf already rolls his eyes whenever he hears I've put yet another product (or food) in my hair :-D He loves my hair though, so he puts up with the insanity (so far). Plus, for my sake too, I really do hope it's going to get simpler and easier once I get to know my hair better (throughout the seasons).

haha, I know - my SO (thanks for helping me express) is rolling his eyes over me reading at a hair site night after night. But he loooves my curls to (he hated it the 2 times my hairdresser straightend it), so he puts up with my new obsession.

thanks for the tip about the hair butter. maybe i'll ask for a sample when i order all the other stuff from kbb.

i'll post results when i get there :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file