Dry hair from Henna

SheSheSheShe Registered Users Posts: 40
I henna'd my hair last night for the 3rd time, and I must say I haven't had the good experiences like everyone else. My hair is very dry again and my curls aren't defined. My hair always feel greasy/waxy-like after I've rinsed it out. Can anyone give me any suggestions to make my hair bounce back from this terrible experience? Is it wise to use chemical dye over henna also?

TIA
Currently transitioning AGAIN!!! I won't be for long because I'm constantly cutting it!:laughing7:

Products I can depend on: Elucence MBC and generic PM the Conditioner!

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    my hair hates henna too. it makes my hair extremely dry and loosened my curls waaaay too much. im still trying to nurse it back to health from the last time i henna'ed. i think ive finally learned my lesson though. finally.
    if i remember correctly, henna kind of acts like protein, so ease up on your use of products with protein because its just going to dry your hair out even more. i use elucence mb and fantasia sparkelites like you do and ive had to switch up for the moment until my hair gets back to normal. i use more oil on my hair than i normally would and have started doing dt's at least twice a week. also, until your hair is feeling better, i would hold off on coloring your hair. i too want to change my hair color, but i dont want to risk any breakage or damage!
  • SheSheSheShe Registered Users Posts: 40
    Thanks for responding. I just rewashed my hair, and I added some coconut oil to the ends - where it's drier than normal. Hopefully, this will help it.
    Currently transitioning AGAIN!!! I won't be for long because I'm constantly cutting it!:laughing7:

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    I had the same experience.. dry hair, tangly, but the color is nice. I hennaed for about 3 months this summer, and I have had to have lots of mini trims since I started. Now I'm trimming monthly or every 6 weeks to get my ends back in shape.

The henna should NOT be dyed over with chemicals because you can have all kinds of bad effects. Just wash/water rinse your hair more often and you will see the henna bleeding out a little more every time you do. I still get henna rinsing out even though it's been months since I last used any. I think I may be safe to color with chemicals in a year or so.

hth
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    As long as you used BAQ henna, you can use chemical dyes over it. The only concern I might have is the condition of your hair.... if it's already dry, a chemical dye is probably just going to dry it out a little more. But it shouldn't react with the henna in any kind of negative way, as long as it's body art quality :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    What type of henna was it?

When I henna I have to moisture like crazy or else it gets dry. Try deep conditioning and keeping it on your hair for over an hour.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SheSheSheShe Registered Users Posts: 40
    I used the Jamila brand from mehandi.com. My hair feels 100% better today. Last night I used a clarifying shampoo, slathered on some cheap conditioner, then put some coconut oil in it. I then put in 4 bantu knots and tied it up. It is unbelievably soft today. Like Subbrock said, I'll have to use more oils now even though before my hair hated oils.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file