Awful night

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
My folks are visiting for Thanksgiving. They arrived yesterday. Harry was over the moon. He was so excited yet tired at the same time. We did our regular bedtime routine, which usually takes 10-15 minutes and after 40 minutes he was wide awake. This was 8:10 PM. He was wired, running up and down the hall screeching and generally having a ball.

9:15, we tried again. He got himself so worked up that by 9:30, he was having a full blown toddler meltdown. I sat with him on his bed, holding him while he cried, but not letting him get down. By 10, it was looking grim, so I took him to our room to watch his favorite video. Within 10 minutes, he was out. I put him in his bed and I crashed.

45 minutes later, he woke crying inconsolably like he had been an hour before. We couldn't calm him, so he watched 10 more minutes of his video and he conked in our bed. He and I stayed there.

Another 45 minutes later, (midnight now) he did the same thing. I calmed him down again, sans video. He slept until 3:30 (I was restless) and then it all started again. I dealt with him until 5, and then he said he was hungry. I got DH up and they went to the kitchen for applesauce and toast. 5:45, they came to bed and we all crashed until 8, when I had to leave for work.

Each time this happened, he refused to nurse, which isn't like him. The only time he nursed was the first bedtime attempt at 7:30 and then when he went back down at 5:45. He'd had Motrin for his teeth and I gave him Orajel at 4:30. He had no fever and his diaper was clean. He showed no signs of discomfort other than just being very unhappy and tired. He has never done this before.

Needless to say, I'm exhausted. If we are in for a week like this, then I don't know if I'll ever allow company to stay again. I'm practically in tears just thinking about how I'm going to make it through the day. I've been fighting getting sick and this may just push my immune system over the edge. Ugh.
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Aw, I'm sorry you had a rough night. Whenever my baby acts like that, it means she's getting sick or she's teething. I hope that's not the case with Harry. Hopefully he just had an off night because he was super excited.

Fingers crossed that you stay healthy too.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Rather than the excitement of visitors, it sounds like he's getting sick. I'd suspect an ear infection, especially since he refused nursing.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    I was thinking illness too. He's gotten 7 teeth in the last 2 months and has never done this, so teething wouldn't explain it (except maybe molars?). On the other hand, he's never had an ear infection, so that could explain new behavior.

If it is his ears, he gets it from me. I can't remember how many Thanksgivings I was on amoxcicillan (sp?) as a kid. I always get either an ear or sinus infection in late November. I guess we've just been lucky that he's never had more than the sniffles in his 16 months.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Poor baby (and mama)! Definitely get his ears checked. Dylan has one now in both ears, and he had no symptoms other than acting "off" for a few days.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    Terrible night, for sure. I agree with the assessment that he might be getting sick. My daughter would get an ear infection every time she was cutting teeth. Her nose would run and that eustachian tube is so horizontal and small at this age. The Motrin would have helped if he had any pain or fever.
    If this were because of house guests, it would be because he's sensing someone's nerves.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    OMG. You have my sympathies. I hate nights like that. Hopefully, tonight will be better.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    I got an appointment for him for tomorrow morning. I'd rather have him checked and have them say it's nothing than have to wait over the holiday. He just had a big long nap and I took a bit of one too. I hope we have a better night tonight!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Crossing my fingers for you that tonight is better than last. One thing to try, if it starts getting rough, is to let him sleep upright. If it is an ear infection, lying down makes it more uncomfortable and could be what's causing him to wake. My husband's slept on the recliner with Sol against his chest, or when he was really little I slept sitting up with him in my wrap.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    Good luck tonight!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    crossfingers.gif
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    I'm sorry you had such a terrible night. I've had a few of those myself, but luckily they're few and far between. I agree that it sounds more like sickness than just excitement over new visitors. I hope Harry will be back to his old self tonight.
    ehLB.jpg
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    Crossing my fingers for you that tonight is better than last. One thing to try, if it starts getting rough, is to let him sleep upright. If it is an ear infection, lying down makes it more uncomfortable and could be what's causing him to wake. My husband's slept on the recliner with Sol against his chest, or when he was really little I slept sitting up with him in my wrap.

He generally sleeps better upright. Today, he napped sitting with my mom propped up on pillows. I have some extras by his bed just in case. I hope I can keep him in his room (instead of ours with the video) tonight. We've got the humidifier going in there which should help. Crossing my fingers!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    His night was better. After a late nap, he went down at 10:30. He nursed before sleeping, but actually fell asleep upright on my shoulder. Then he was up crying at 5:30 and tugging at his ears. Some Motrin and some video time and then he decided he was up for the day at 6:30.

No ear infection and his throat looks alright. Dr. suggested saline nose drops, as the tubes at the back of the nose are probably congested. We just need to get those open and the pain should go away. He fell asleep after the appointment and is still down 90 minutes later.

I'm just glad I have the rest of this week off. Seems like our sleep schedule is scrapped for a while. Should be better once his congestion clears.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Poor little guy, but thank goodness last night was better and no ear infection. Do you have a humidifier in his room?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    Yeah. A nice warm one. I think that helped last night. The awful night, he ended up in our room due to the TV, so no humidifier. Thank goodness for Baby Einstein in the wee hours of the night, though!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    I'm glad you both had a better night last night. :wave:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file