For those of "advanced maternal age"

MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
I always get a kick out of that phrase:laughing5:. Gosh, like being over 35 is that old.
DH and I have been discussing trying for #2. We were very lucky and got pregnant on our first try the first time around. Now I'm over 35 and I keep hearing how your fertility pretty much takes a nose dive after you hit your 30's esp after 35. I'm worried that we won't be as lucky the second time around. I'm already kicking myself for waiting so long for another one.
I know this is kind of a private question, but for those of you that TTC after 35, did it take you longer the second time around?
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Comments

• redmumredmum Registered Users Posts: 125
    hi, i actually conceived when i was 33 the first time and it took about 9 months. second time i was 38 and conceived on first try, sadly that pregnancy ended in losing my wee boy mid term they think down to infection. I am now pregnant again at 23 weeks and 39 years old, and i conceived within a couple of months. Guess for me my age did not seem to decrease my ability to conceive but we are all different. Think i got more sussed about my cycle and good times to try though.
    I wish you loads of luck if you try again.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    My 4 babies were all conceived in the first cycle of trying, so I had no noticable decline in fertility. I had them at 24, 29, 35, and 38. When conceiving # 4, I was still breastfeeding #3, and wasn't able to get pregnant while nursing. I got pregnant the first month after weaning though.

tongue_16.gif to the OB industry and their "advanced maternal age". I had no health issues with my either of my AMA babies, and had the last baby as a homebirth after 3 c-sections.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    I was "advanced maternal age" with both kids. It took me almost 2 years to conceive the first. But having the first one seemed to *fix* whatever was wrong the first go around, because I conceived the second quite accidentally, almost impossibly so - it was a full 5 days before ovulation occurred! I am noticing now that my fertility is definitely back again, in a very obvious way. So for me, even though I'm almost 40, I actually have increased fertility these days.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I had my first at 33 and my second at 36. It took something like 3-4 months to conceive both of them.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    But having the first one seemed to *fix* whatever was wrong the first go around, because I conceived the second quite accidentally, almost impossibly so - it was a full 5 days before ovulation occurred! I am noticing now that my fertility is definitely back again, in a very obvious way. So for me, even though I'm almost 40, I actually have increased fertility these days.

In my case, it took me 3 years and numerous fertility treatments to conceive #2. I was only 34 when I gave birth. Like Sweetpickles, getting pg with my daughter seemed to "fix" whatever problems I had and I've been able to conceive quite easily since then (at ages 36 and 37).
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    I got pg on the first try with #1 when I was 35. I got pg again on the first try with #2 when I was 36.

Both were timed right though, they weren't just random acts of unprotected sex.

A friend of mine who will be 41 next week got pg accidentally. She's due in May, but that's probably not the norm.

While I don't think it's wise to let women believe they have forever to have a baby naturally, I know ALOT of women who have had babies with no problems in their mid-late 30's. Most of my friends fall into this category.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    My sister has had 2 or 3 babies after age 35, all planned. I don't know how quickly after they started trying but I know it wasn't very long. Her last baby was conceived and born while she was still 39 and going by the signs, she was probably trying for 2 months.

I also know of several women who had 'accidental' babies at 41 or older.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    I have a coworker who was married several years and didn't think she could have children. After age 40 she had 4 boys with no medical help! The youngest is now 18. I find that amazing.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    I also know of several women who had 'accidental' babies at 41 or older.

Agh! This is one of my biggest fears. :wink:

I conceived on the first try when I was 35. We'll see if we're so fortunate second time around. I'm 38 now.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    I was 34 almost 35 with #1 - baby not planned and no trouble getting pregnant

I was 37 almost 38 with #2 - we decided to try when #1 was 18 months old. Little did I know, we were already pregnant. It was a shock.

I will be 40 next year. I am very fertile and not trying to have another one.

I think it's all individual.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the reassurance ladies. I know everyone's different but it's nice to hear that a lot of you gals seemed to be able to conceive easily especially the second time around.
    I don't know, we were so lucky the first time, I'm fearful it won't be that easy again. Of course we won't know until we start trying, right?;)
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    Magoo wrote: »
    I don't know, we were so lucky the first time, I'm fearful it won't be that easy again. Of course we won't know until we start trying, right?;)

This was exactly how I thought - I now have kids 16 months apart.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • DeljahDeljah Registered Users Posts: 47
    I got pregnant this year, right before my 35th bday. It took a few months of tracking my ovulation/fertility. I used a Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor to take out the guesswork... just my personality. :o)

I didn't like that AMA label either. I initially was wondering if I'd escape it, since I was 34 when I conceived, lol. No dice. Sometimes I felt like Sarah trying to give birth to Isaac b/c of how my age was treated.

I began to think the best time to have a kid is like 18....as they say, youth is wasted on the young. lol

I hope to have one more child.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    I had my first unexpectedly at 38, my second was planned at 40. My youngest daughter was concieved on the 3 cycle (2nd actually since the middle month was an absolute impossibility), no special measures taken other than cheapie ovulation predictor strips...I was high risk, not supposed to be able to conceive, and had c-sections both times...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file