Curl Activator

BabydollRingletsBabydollRinglets Registered Users Posts: 205
Has anyone ever tried curl activator (any brand)?
What's your results?
3c/3b fine texture, normal density, high porosity

Shampoo: Devacare Low Poo, Devacare No Poo
Conditioner: Devacare One Conditioner
Leave-In: Devacare One Conditioner
Oil: Grapeseed Oil
Treatment: Coloful Protein Filler
Gel: Eco Styler Argan Oil

Comments

• KindredsTwin1983KindredsTwin1983 Registered Users Posts: 347
    Yup. I have Softsheen Carlson Curl Activator....comes in a yellow bottle and it's the one without the mineral oil.

I love it. I use it semi-liberally. The smell is okay. It's like a warm gel without any stiffness.

Not sure if it makes my hair any curlier as my hair is down my back and weighs down.
    Hair Type - 3c, with a touch of 4a and a touch of 3b

Favorite Detangler - Any conditioner with high amount of behentrimonium mehtosulfate

Favorite Leave-in Conditioners - Suave Coconut, Giovanni Smooth and Silk and Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Pantene Relaxed and Natural

Favorite Hair Moisturizers - Silk Elements Hairdress
  • danrobin0313danrobin0313 Registered Users Posts: 186
    Long-Aid Activator Gel is my HG! I love it :love10:... my curls are defined, it dries soft, offers light hold and keeps my curls moisturized.

I get it from Walmart and a big jar is about 5 bucks. The only con is the ingredient list because it does contain methylparaben (sp?) which I hear is bad?? But I've used it almost daily for about 2 months with no ill effects

Happy Growing!

event.png

http://members.fotki.com/Givemecurls/

Falling in love more and more each day with my natural hair :love4:

Current rotation: Shescentit anything, Qhemet Burdock Root Buttercream, Castor Oil, Olive Oil, Hairveda Whipped Jelly, Aussie Moist and Aussie Gels

Stats: Grazing APL, Dense, Medium Strands, 3c-4a curls
  • BabydollRingletsBabydollRinglets Registered Users Posts: 205
    do you girls use it alone or with other products.

my hair hates gel at times. i was thinking that a curl activator will define my curls (frizz-free), and leaves a light hold.

• HoneycombHoneycomb Registered Users Posts: 400
    Long-Aid Activator Gel is my HG! I love it :love10:... my curls are defined, it dries soft, offers light hold and keeps my curls moisturized.

I get it from Walmart and a big jar is about 5 bucks. The only con is the ingredient list because it does contain methylparaben (sp?) which I hear is bad?? But I've used it almost daily for about 2 months with no ill effects

Happy Growing!

Totally agree with everything you said about Long Aid, it's my fave. Also I get the same effect with Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel & glycerin (4 part aloe vera gel, 1 part glycerin).
    Natural since Oct. 2002. BC for the 3rd time in July 2008. 5-7" of natural 4a hair.

My pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=4tcfcwu.136flti6&Uy=w74a9e&Ux=0
    do you girls use it alone or with other products.

my hair hates gel at times. i was thinking that a curl activator will define my curls (frizz-free), and leaves a light hold.

I will use mine with Biotera leave-in, but mostly I use all by itself.
    Natural since Oct. 2002. BC for the 3rd time in July 2008. 5-7" of natural 4a hair.

My pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=4tcfcwu.136flti6&Uy=w74a9e&Ux=0
    i bought
    lustrasilk right on curl activator -n-
    long aid activator gel for dry hair

whoa, amazing! :laughing5:
    i cannot believe my hair looks this sexy!
    i went to school an hour early just to show off my curls. :toothy5:

my hair hates gel but my hair loves long aid activator gel.
    it doesn't leave my hair dry and frizzy looking.
    it feels like a leave-in moisturizer but in a gel version.
    my curls stay moisted for the whole day!

omg, 5 month looking for the right products for my hair. :neutral:

yay! my staples forever!

omg, i forgot!

thanks girls! :wave:

• danrobin0313danrobin0313 Registered Users Posts: 186
    omg, i forgot!

thanks girls! :wave:

You are so very welcome! It is such an awesome feeling when a products just WORKS! :cheers:

To answer your other question.. I generally use the gel alone but sometimes I will rub a light, natural oil on my ends. So far I haven't found anything that it plays well with, lol.

event.png

http://members.fotki.com/Givemecurls/

Falling in love more and more each day with my natural hair :love4:

Current rotation: Shescentit anything, Qhemet Burdock Root Buttercream, Castor Oil, Olive Oil, Hairveda Whipped Jelly, Aussie Moist and Aussie Gels

Stats: Grazing APL, Dense, Medium Strands, 3c-4a curls
  • EveyEvey Registered Users Posts: 26
    I like activator Gels because of how moisturized and manageable they leave my hair but the only problem I get from activator products is that it changes my hair color. ( I wonder if i'm the only one):confused:

I have used Sof 'n Free, Lusters & Wet 'n Wavy but the best one out of the three is Sof 'n Free.
  • nobellenobelle Registered Users Posts: 110
    Oh wow...I used to use Lustrasilk Right On Curl Activator a loooong time ago (even before my BC). I remember not liking something about it (maybe it was the smell? :scratch:), but I haven't even touched it since then.

But since it's worked so well for you, maybe I should give it another try...

nobelle wrote: »
    Oh wow...I used to use Lustrasilk Right On Curl Activator a loooong time ago (even before my BC). I remember not liking something about it (maybe it was the smell? :scratch:), but I haven't even touched it since then.

But since it's worked so well for you, maybe I should give it another try...

yeah, i heard. i read some reviews on Lustrasilk Right On Curl Activator and someone was complaining about the smell.

i don't have a problem with the smell.
    i kind of like it. 8-)

i didn't even complain about main tail groom. haha

i bought

lustrasilk right on curl activator -n-
    long aid activator gel for dry hair
    whoa, amazing! :laughing5:
    i cannot believe my hair looks this sexy!
    i went to school an hour early just to show off my curls. :toothy5:
    my hair hates gel but my hair loves long aid activator gel.
    it doesn't leave my hair dry and frizzy looking.
    it feels like a leave-in moisturizer but in a gel version.
    my curls stay moisted for the whole day!
    omg, 5 month looking for the right products for my hair. :neutral:

yay! my staples forever!

I'm glad you had success with the Long Aid. It's the best, and I've yet to know of anyone that uses it to have a bad experience with it. I've used it every since I became natural, it was recommended to me by a natural curly.

My pics:

• NayaNaya Registered Users Posts: 922
    Walmart you say?

*wants to try*

Does anyone have an ingredient list for the Long-Aid? Does it contain silicones?
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
    Naya wrote: »
    Walmart you say?

*wants to try*

Does anyone have an ingredient list for the Long-Aid? Does it contain silicones?

211DP76RQJL._AA160_.jpg

Ingredients:
    Water, Glycerin, Oleth-20, Triethanolamine, Carbomer 940, Aloe Vera Gel, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Protein, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance Parfum, Propylene Glycol, Ext. D&C Violet No. 2

My pics:

• SheSheSheShe Registered Users Posts: 40
    I tried Long Aid yesterday, and it's worth a try. It dried soft, defined curls, and I used Giovanni leave-in underneath. Works like a charm!
    Currently transitioning AGAIN!!! I won't be for long because I'm constantly cutting it!:laughing7:

Products I can depend on: Elucence MBC and generic PM the Conditioner!
  • mosxy5mosxy5 Registered Users Posts: 63
    Now I want to go to Wally World to get some Long Aid. When I first went natural curl activator gel and Pink Oil Moisturizer were the only things people told me to use on my hair but I never tried them.
    Relaxer free since 12/2001... :afro:

Mostly 3c with 4a in the back.
    mosxy5 wrote: »
    Now I want to go to Wally World to get some Long Aid. When I first went natural curl activator gel and Pink Oil Moisturizer were the only things people told me to use on my hair but I never tried them.

give it a try! for some reason curl activators are so cheap in price but they work amazing. i'm glad because i don't like to spend a lot of money on hair products.

pink oil moisturizer? interesting :scratch:
    i always see that item in stores but never gave it a try. oil moisturizers is too oily for my hair.. i think oily for any hair types. lol

• KindredsTwin1983KindredsTwin1983 Registered Users Posts: 347
    I may have to get me some Long-Aid! Does it make your hair crunchy like regular gel?

I love the Softsheen curl activator cause it makes my hair super soft.
    Hair Type - 3c, with a touch of 4a and a touch of 3b

Favorite Detangler - Any conditioner with high amount of behentrimonium mehtosulfate

Favorite Leave-in Conditioners - Suave Coconut, Giovanni Smooth and Silk and Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Pantene Relaxed and Natural

Favorite Hair Moisturizers - Silk Elements Hairdress
    I may have to get me some Long-Aid! Does it make your hair crunchy like regular gel?

I love the Softsheen curl activator cause it makes my hair super soft.

No crunch and no drippies.

My pics:

give it a try! for some reason curl activators are so cheap in price but they work amazing. i'm glad because i don't like to spend a lot of money on hair products.

pink oil moisturizer? interesting :scratch:
    i always see that item in stores but never gave it a try. oil moisturizers is too oily for my hair.. i think oily for any hair types. lol

I am going to get some today. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Yeah I am not trying to spend a whole lot of money on something I have to use all the time....it's like lotion or toothpaste. lol

I never used the pink oil stuff because I new my hair would be a pink, oily mess. :eek: No thanks.

yeah, keep me posted!

we all should take a before n after picture.
    because long aid activator gel is cool like that! :walk:

i totally see a difference when i use it on my hair.

I wish I had a better camera so I could take before and after shots. My hair is so soft that it is scary!! And I had no frizz today even thou it was really humid today.

But it is almost too soft, if that makes sense. I think it is time for me to get my hair cut though because it doesn't really have any kind of shape or style...it's just there. lol

I wish I had a better camera so I could take before and after shots. My hair is so soft that it is scary!! And I had no frizz today even thou it was really humid today.

But it is almost too soft, if that makes sense. I think it is time for me to get my hair cut though because it doesn't really have any kind of shape or style...it's just there. lol

Glad you had such a great experience. Long Aid is the truth!!!

My pics:

i know. i used it today and my hair was so soft. omg, yes it was very humid outside today.

i'm going to try to see if i can get that second hair day. usually in the night my hair starts to looks frizzy. i'm a bit lazy today to re-add products to my hair. so hopefully long aid and lustrasilk will help me get that second hair day... i haven't have one for so long.

i know. i used it today and my hair was so soft. omg, yes it was very humid outside today.

i'm going to try to see if i can get that second hair day. usually in the night my hair starts to looks frizzy. i'm a bit lazy today to re-add products to my hair. so hopefully long aid and lustrasilk will help me get that second hair day... i haven't have one for so long.

I can't remember the last time I had 2nd day hair....my hair is still not frizzy but I want to see how it looks in the morning. Hopefully I can get a good cut next week...and get that good 2nd day hair!

• danna harrisdanna harris Registered Users Posts: 55 Curl Neophyte
    Do you think it would work on 3a hair?
    Hair: 3a mostly
    mod CG Fall 2008

co/wash - Suave Naturals or VO5, Naked Naturals shampoo from CVS - can't find anymore, replacing with JCHCC

Condition: Aubrey Organics HR, Moisture Maniac, Love Jessicurl deep treatment and her stuff!

Leave in's: Aveda Be Curly, Jessicul RR and CC, quarter and nickel amounts, AG liquid effects, KCCC (forever to dry), leaving behind the Aquage defining gel

Want to try some of Sally's generics
  • Toya10Toya10 Registered Users Posts: 16
    Hi newbie here. I am a cross between a 3b and
    3c and I have had the hardest problem finding something that moisturizes all day without the greasy feel. I may have to try this...wait it isn't real greasy is it? I always thought of curl activator as jheri curl. Thanks ladies.
    Lovin' mah curls!
  • dxwashdxwash Registered Users Posts: 245
    Please do not use pink oil moiturizer on your hair. I never wanted to be one of thoes "preachy" people about what type of hair products to use but not the pink oil moisturizer. It has mineral oil and petroluem in it that is just so bad for your hair. I love Long Aid. i keep a 2Lbs tub in my house at all times. But you can use a leave in conditioner underneath. giovanni direct leave in is good and is found at whole food and target. Or leave a bit of any conditioner. i like VO5 strawberries and cream. At Salys beauty supply you can get the generic Paul Mitchelle the conditioner, Generic Maxtic biolage conditioning balm, or bioterra leave in conditioner. If you want a moisturizer type product versus a leave in conditioner you can use Elasta QP mango butter or Africa Best orgainics shea butter hair lotion. Both found at beauty supply stores and some Walmarts, targets etc. If I sound preachy please forgive me.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    See, I grew up in the 80s and my hair thrived on the pink stuff. It grew long and strong. Why is it so bad?

Curl activator on the other hand, yuck. I admit, I haven't used it recently, but as a child of the '80's I cannot imagine using it. I hate that oily feel.

Haven't used long-aid -are you saying it's not greasy?
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • peajaipeajai Registered Users Posts: 124
    I like to get my Long Aid at Walgreens. They always have stock and most times it's on sale.

Lately, I've been using KBB Hair Milk and Castor Oil under the Long Aid and the results have been amazing. Defined, silky curls that stay moisturized for days. Long Aid is not greasy at all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file