Shampoo Bars - Help Needed!

Kelly512Kelly512 Posts: 23Registered Users
Good morning everyone! I have been doing a lot of reading here about shampoo bars. Yesterday, I went out to Whole Foods and found one to try (JR Liggetts Old Fashioned Shampoo Bar).

When I cleaned my hair with it, my hair got so clean it squeaked (not really a good thing) and also felt stripped to me. I used a DT after the 'poo bar and my hair felt okay (looked alright too). While the fact that my hair looked/felt okay after was a relief, I think the stripped/squeaky feeling is not a good thing and will damage my hair in the long run.

My question is - do all shampoo bars make your hair feel like this when you are using it? I have to wonder if maybe the one I tried was just a bad brand/formulation. The ingredients are: Olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, spring water, sodium hydroxide, essential oil for fragrance.

I was planning to order some samples from Chagrin Valley but if they all do this, I don't think I will bother.

Sorry for the long post & thanks in advance!
2B on top/3A on bottom w/ a little 3B mixed in.... Medium w/ med porosity

Cleanse: V05 or Suave Clarifying Condish

Moisturize: AOHR, GVP Balm, TooShea, Kenra

Stylers: CJ CCCC & Smoothing Gellie, BRHG

Other: ACV rinse when needed, Jessicurl WDT weekly

Just discovered Curl Junkie products! :love1:

Comments

• amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,205Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair will feel stripped/squeaky with the bars but I've been using them for a while and haven't had any issues. Actually my hair feels less damaged shampooing regularly with these than it did with low poo's. Plus I don't usually have to condition after using these because of the moisture I get using them. I've had the best luck with the all natural bars I got than with some of the others I tried.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It could be the ingredients. The only time my hair felt horrible after a soap/shampoo bar was when I used one with castor oil. My hair got dry and frizzy. It doesn't like castor oil in anything. I'm not sure about avocado oil in the bars--the jury is still out on that one.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I bought a bunch of bars from Whole Foods - by FAR my fave was from a company called Pangea (will check the spelling). Comes in a non-descript grey cardboard box and I use it regularly with nice results.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Did you follow up with an ACV? My hair frequently feels squeaky clean or waxy or tangly after using a shampoo bar. Once I dump an ACV mix over my head, it immediately de-tangles and feels soft.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • redecouverteredecouverte Posts: 70Registered Users
    CV bars are awesome!
    You will not regret your purchase!!
    I just blogged about them
    Check out Empressri's review too :drunken:
    Last re.l.a.x.er: July 2006
    First big chop: September 29th 2006
    Several locking attemps
    Second big chop: June 30th 2010
  • KindaWavyKindaWavy Posts: 383Registered Users
    I've not tried CV, but have excellent luck with kathymack's bars. I've got hubby and all 3 kids using them, and we all love 'em. Like LoloDSM mentioned, ACV or citric acid rinses are important. I can't be without my Bragg's organic ACV, and have found that my curl is much better using it along with the bars.

I would also suspect the castor oil- especially since it's pretty high on the ingredient list of your bar. It can be drying and causes the "icks" immediately in my hair. I was curious about it after starting the oil cleansing method on my face, used it once on my hair, and cursed myself for doing so. I had a hard time getting it out- needed a sulphate 'poo.
    Photobucket acct: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/KindaWavy/
    pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
    KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
    Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used my sample of CV today and I REALLY liked what it did for me! I think there is a quite a difference between Shampoo bars and Soap bars with my own hair. The Soap bars may be too heavy for me, this felt just right :) No problems at all with Castor oil either
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • Kelly512Kelly512 Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thanks for the responses!

I think I will go ahead and pick up some CV bars -- making sure that the ones I order have no castor oil in them.

I also did not do an ACV rinse after -- I will be sure to add that step next time.
    2B on top/3A on bottom w/ a little 3B mixed in.... Medium w/ med porosity

Cleanse: V05 or Suave Clarifying Condish

Moisturize: AOHR, GVP Balm, TooShea, Kenra

Stylers: CJ CCCC & Smoothing Gellie, BRHG

Other: ACV rinse when needed, Jessicurl WDT weekly

Just discovered Curl Junkie products! :love1:
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    You know I noticed my hair squeaks. It's not that way when I use regular shampoo that takes every single thing off my hair. I think it's just the oils in it?
    I worried about it the first time or two but my hair looks wonderful and is curlier than ever so I just go with it.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's the latest CurlChemist article - it explains why hair may have that squeaky or waxy feeling.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-shampoo-bars
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I used my sample of CV today and I REALLY liked what it did for me! I think there is a quite a difference between Shampoo bars and Soap bars with my own hair. The Soap bars may be too heavy for me, this felt just right :)

Del, which CV bars are you using? I haven't tried these since before going CG. The ones I have now are regular soap bars, so I'm interested in comparing.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
    I used my sample of CV today and I REALLY liked what it did for me! I think there is a quite a difference between Shampoo bars and Soap bars with my own hair. The Soap bars may be too heavy for me, this felt just right :)

Del, which CV bars are you using? I haven't tried these since before going CG. The ones I have now are regular soap bars, so I'm interested in comparing.
    So far Herb Garden and Babasu & Marsh Mallow, got 4 more coming though :laughing6: all samples of course ;)
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So far Herb Garden and Babasu & Marsh Mallow, got 4 more coming though :laughing6: all samples of course ;)

PJ PJ PJ PJ! :P

Del, I think it might be time to step AWAY from the hair supplies...
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users

Lol, I just put in a big order. The inner PJ wins again! I got 4 samples of shampoo bars and 4 of their soap bars (they have great face & body bars!). I think I have a sample of the Babasu & Marsh Mallow at home somewhere. Rosemary Mint was my fav pre-CG so it'll be interesting to see if it's still as good. Thanks for replying!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
    MimsTX wrote: »

PJ PJ PJ PJ! :P

Del, I think it might be time to step AWAY from the hair supplies...
    :boxing: that's for YOU MIMS

I'll NEVER step away!

LOL go for it Jenn!! No thanks needed!!
    Discovered CG 2007

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    Come now, Del, you can do it. Just say no. Close your browser, and change your homepage away from chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com.

I believe in you.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
    Come now, Del, you can do it. Just say no. Close your browser, and change your homepage away from chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com.

I believe in you.
    Too late, just posted on the CV thread I await my samples.... :laughing6:
    Discovered CG 2007

I am secretly proud of you.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love CV bars and the Anita Grant Babassu shampoo bar. My favorite CV bars are honey butter and orange cremesicle
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    SBB, do you find them cleansing only, or are they also moisturizing/other pros for you?
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
  • KellKell Posts: 201Registered Users
    I use the Lush seanik shampoo bar. (Hmmm, I wonder who invented the shampoo bar first?) This is my first experience with a bar, and Im impressed. Im really looking forward to trying the condish bar, henna bar, and some of their leave-ins. Im supposed to get a bunch of this stuff for Xmas (its what I asked for). Im very curious about the CV though, especially the coffee bar and carrot/honey number. I dont even like shampoo, Im weary because most of it fudges up my hair. So Im extra psyched--I can wash my hair now.
    J&J Baby Shampoo fugged up my hair! :thumbdown:
    Kell wrote: »
    I use the Lush seanik shampoo bar. (Hmmm, I wonder who invented the shampoo bar first?) This is my first experience with a bar, and Im impressed. Im really looking forward to trying the condish bar, henna bar, and some of their leave-ins. Im supposed to get a bunch of this stuff for Xmas (its what I asked for). Im very curious about the CV though, especially the coffee bar and carrot/honey number. I dont even like shampoo, Im weary because most of it fudges up my hair. So Im extra psyched--I can wash my hair now.

Don't know if this matters to you, but the first ingredient in the Lush bar is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pixistixpixistix Posts: 12Registered Users
    Hi everybody! I'm a newbie here but since I've been using a natural, handmade shampoo bar for a year or so and absolutely loving it I just had to chime in.

I buy mine online from Olde Crone's Bewitching Bath Soap (http://www.soapcrone.com), though if you live in the Denver, CO area you can also purchase them at some of the farmers' markets there. Believe it or not, I never even knew I had wavy hair until I made the switch from sulfate-based shampoos to her shampoo bars. As an allergy/sensitive wavy I have to be very careful of what comes in contact with my skin, even with natural/organic products. I like that she keeps her ingredient lists simple - with one or two exceptions I can use her entire product line - and her customer service is excellent.

My favorite is the Lavender Mist shampoo bar, though several friends of mine - particularly the guys - rave about her Rosemary Mint one.

While I'm fiercely loyal to her soaps, my inner PJ has reared its head (again!) and I must confess I'm curious about the CV shampoo bars too... particularly the honey, beer & egg... has anyone used that one? If so, did you like it?
    hoping to find: my HG curl definer/gel; curl-friendly hair dye (curious about henna, indigo & amla mixes); that my hair has potential to be even more wavy/curly than it is now
    hair type: 1c/2a-b, F, i-ii, low/med porosity
    hair color: dark brown (starting to gray)
    low-poo: Olde Crone's Bewitching Bath Soap Lavender Mist shampoo bar
    rinse-out condishes: Giovanni Root 66 & LOREAL VPNG-W/C
    deep conditioners: KBB Super-Silky, AOHR, Burts Bees Super Shiny, Olde Crone's LM hair oil
    current styling products: BSRHG, Aveda Phomollient, AO Mandarin Magic Jelly

* Avatar photo is from my pre-CG days... hopefully I'll have a good CG one to update it with soon.
    pixistix, thanks for sharing the link. We're all interested in learning more about soap. I'd look at the CV ingredients before ordering. Your soaps use the lighter oils and no castor oil (at least the few I looked at.)
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You're welcome! I figure y'all have been so informative & helpful this last week I've been lurking that I should try & keep up, lol!

I've seen quite a few ladies here refer to "kathymack's bars"... is that due to your having found a brand you love & champion (as I do OC)? Or do you actually make & sell your own? Either way I'd love a link/more information! I'm always looking to expand my range of loyalty/options -- & indulge my inner PJ -- to whatever degree possible.
    deep conditioners: KBB Super-Silky, AOHR, Burts Bees Super Shiny, Olde Crone's LM hair oil

* Avatar photo is from my pre-CG days... hopefully I'll have a good CG one to update it with soon.
    pixistix wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few ladies here refer to "kathymack's bars"... is that due to your having found a brand you love & champion (as I do OC)? Or do you actually make & sell your own? Either way I'd love a link/more information! I'm always looking to expand my range of loyalty/options -- & indulge my inner PJ -- to whatever degree possible.

While I've investigated soap making, I don't need another hobby/obsession, LOL! I'll pm you.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hi everybody! I'm a newbie here but since I've been using a natural, handmade shampoo bar for a year or so and absolutely loving it I just had to chime in.

I buy mine online from Olde Crone's Bewitching Bath Soap (http://www.soapcrone.com), though if you live in the Denver, CO area you can also purchase them at some of the farmers' markets there. Believe it or not, I never even knew I had wavy hair until I made the switch from sulfate-based shampoos to her shampoo bars. As an allergy/sensitive wavy I have to be very careful of what comes in contact with my skin, even with natural/organic products. I like that she keeps her ingredient lists simple - with one or two exceptions I can use her entire product line - and her customer service is excellent.

My favorite is the Lavender Mist shampoo bar, though several friends of mine - particularly the guys - rave about her Rosemary Mint one.

While I'm fiercely loyal to her soaps, my inner PJ has reared its head (again!) and I must confess I'm curious about the CV shampoo bars too... particularly the honey, beer & egg... has anyone used that one? If so, did you like it?
    hoping to find: my HG curl definer/gel; curl-friendly hair dye (curious about henna, indigo & amla mixes); that my hair has potential to be even more wavy/curly than it is now
    Hi. I am fond of bars as well. I recently tried the CV Shampoo Bars... I found it a bit drying... But I neglected to use a rinse out. All of my other Bars prior had been Soap Bars, so I didnt expected the lack of moisture....

Not to cause trouble;) But the DW is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
    My Photobucket Album
    Hi rudeechick! Do you find that you have to do an acv/acidic rinse with every bar you use? Or only the CV ones? It never occured to me to use a rinse with the bar I've been using... well, except as an occasional thing to combat product build-up or when I get carried away and overcondition my hair. Hhhhmmm... now I'm going to have to go experiment some more, lol!

I'm going to sound like the complete newbie that I am but, here goes: what is DW??

Hi rudeechick! Do you find that you have to do an acv/acidic rinse with every bar you use? Or only the CV ones? It never occured to me to use a rinse with the bar I've been using... well, except as an occasional thing to combat product build-up or when I get carried away and overcondition my hair. Hhhhmmm... now I'm going to have to go experiment some more, lol!

I'm going to sound like the complete newbie that I am but, here goes: what is DW??
    DW is Dairy Whip from Flower Moon Soaps. Theres a huge thread on it. Its basically a whipped non sulfate Soap. (incidentally< I have a ton of extar if you wanna get some)

As for the ACV; I personally dont. I did do an ACV when I use the CV bar foir the first time because of all the posters who said they had build up.... But all of the other bars I've used I have NOT needed to ACV other then my usual 2 or 3 times a month (when I remember!)
    My Photobucket Album
    Thanks for the clarification! I'll have to check out the thread, it sounds intriguing... and I may take you up on that offer, I'm so new to all this that product experimentation is more or less my starting point.

Whew... for a minute there I was worried I was "doing it wrong" in shampoo bar land! Glad to hear acv rinses aren't mandatory, I'd hate to think I'd been unknowingly messing up my hair this whole time. So far I've had good results without doing much more than conditioner on the ends during the drier months. Of course, that was before I'd even heard of CG & was still in denial about having wavy hair now (was a natural 1a-b for most of my life)... hopefully having a better idea of how to care for waves/curls will be helpful in achieving even better results with it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file