Afro Detangler (Taiykel)

Mo_Gemini22Mo_Gemini22 Posts: 485Registered Users
This product can be ordered from www.growafrohairlong.com. The only downside is that it takes 2-3 weeks to received your but you do get a half-gallon and it is $49+9 (shipping).

This is a leave-in detangler/conditioner/moisturizer. This can be used on dry or damp hair. I used it for a twist out. This product can be used alone but I decided to experiment and add a little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. Yes, I did get a few white balls but they did disappear after my hair dried. This morning I un-twisted my hair. Soft and shiny! So far it is worth the wait and $$$!

The next time I will use w/o [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink].

Ingredients: water, avocado/mango/shea butter, vitamin E, avocado oil, lecthin, greentea extract, orange extract, natural fragrance, CitroZine (organic) as a preservative.
Last relaxer - July 07
BC - 8/2/08
4B headband-holic
Products in rotation (too many!):
Shampoo - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Giovanni Tea Tree
Condish - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Trader Joe Nourish Spa
Leave in - Sheamoisture Curl Milk, KCNT, Giovanni Direct
Deep Treatment - Apoghee Two Step Protein Treatment, Giovanni Nutrafix
Moisturizers - Carefree Curl Gold Spray
Stylers - Sheamoisture Curl Smoothie

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is a high quality product. I tried twisting with it alone, but got frizz with the twistout, so I need a hold product or a heavier cream for twists. I use it to refresh my dry ends, under oil as an overnight "baggieless" baggy. Also as a leave-in on wet hair (although it doesn't clump).
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Mo_Gemini22Mo_Gemini22 Posts: 485Registered Users
    Good to know! I was worried about frizz, that is why added a little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] to my twists.

Once my mom tries this next week, I know I will be leaving some with her!

Anyone out there try the other prodcuts (scalp oil, flat ironing creme, etc)?
    Last relaxer - July 07
    BC - 8/2/08
    4B headband-holic
  • Kinks74Kinks74 Posts: 394Registered Users
    I checked out the website...sounds interesting. Does it have a scent? Also, what's the consistency?
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • Mo_Gemini22Mo_Gemini22 Posts: 485Registered Users
    Kinks74 wrote: »
    I checked out the website...sounds interesting. Does it have a scent? Also, what's the consistency?

It has a slight citrusy smell. I would say the consistency is creamy. VERY moisturizing. It comes in a 1/2 gallon size only. It is supposed to last 6months to a year.

So far it is worth the wait and $$$!
    Last relaxer - July 07
    BC - 8/2/08
    4B headband-holic
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Curl Connoisseur Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the review. I've been wanting to try this for a long time and I hope to order it very soon.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • Kinks74Kinks74 Posts: 394Registered Users
    Yes, thanks for the review! I'm interested, but I'm a little worried about the avocado since I have issues w/ protein, but I may try it...
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm quite protein sensitve and have no issues with this. The avocado is a butter.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    On their website it says "and wavy 3a and 3b hair types" I assume that means it works for all types of hair. I use things like kbb hair milk, sheamoisture, myhoneychild, etc. I'm a 3a/3b and I have A LOT of hair, that is medium texture. Do you think I might be able to use this? Thanks.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    On their website it says "and wavy 3a and 3b hair types" I assume that means it works for all types of hair. I use things like kbb hair milk, sheamoisture, myhoneychild, etc. I'm a 3a/3b and I have A LOT of hair, that is medium texture. Do you think I might be able to use this? Thanks.
    I've been eyeing this as well for my 3a/b hair. I can't use KBB, but my hair loves most oils & butters-most recently found a love of avocado...This is very appealing...
  • Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Posts: 786Registered Users
    I love this stuff. I just ordered my third one. I use it on wet hair to detangle, as a leave in, and a styler and it works great. Nice smell, great slip, and lots of moisture.
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg
    Is there anyway to get a sample. I'd love to get some but with Christmas coming up I need to save up for gifts, and I couldn't afford to buy an entire half gallon... oh well maybe it will be a New Years present.
  • starg2008starg2008 Posts: 219Registered Users
    Is there anyway to get a sample. I'd love to get some but with Christmas coming up I need to save up for gifts, and I couldn't afford to buy an entire half gallon... oh well maybe it will be a New Years present.

I would like a sample too. I don't care if its 8oz i just don't want to buy a jug ,without seeing if it works or not. I emailed the company but have not recieved a response yet. Im supposed to be on a budget but i need a christmas present.:hello2:
    starg2008 wrote: »

I would like a sample too. I don't care if its 8oz i just don't want to buy a jug ,without seeing if it works or not. I emailed the company but have not recieved a response yet. Im supposed to be on a budget but i need a christmas present.:hello2:

LOL... me too. If you hearing anything let us know this stuff sounds good, esp. if it detangles really well my daughter and I both need something that can do that job.
  • drawmuhfreedrawmuhfree Posts: 402Registered Users
    I want to try this too, I ran across a recommendation on youtube. Although I am trying to use the products that are cluttering my cabinet already, I am little bit impulsive and just might indulge:lol:. The ingredients sound delightful and SBB says its good, so its as good as sold! lol
    comic-p.jpg

"[My hair and I] are in an unhealthy relationship and I am the abuser."
    --MissKinkyCoily

http://public.fotki.com/drawmuhfree/
  • kathymackkathymack Curl Neophyte Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been eying this for a while. I, too, noticed on the website that it could be used with looser curls. I'm very tempted to buy it. I guess if I do, I won't have any trouble selling some samples, LOL. My only problem is that I'm going away in three weeks for a long weekend. Wonder if I should wait.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naiha1naiha1 Posts: 209Registered Users
    I so want to like this product. It just leaves my hair feeling dry. My hair felt really nice at first. I used it to do twists, by the time my hair was dry the moisture was totally gone.:sad8:
    Happy, Nappy, and Kinky 24/7!!
    4/b very coily
  • JipJip Posts: 90Registered Users
    starg2008 wrote: »

I remember e-mailing them last summer with my home address. I got a sample within 2-3 weeks.
    Classic Type 4A
    Coarse Texture
    Cone, Aloe, and Glycerin Sensitive
    Recovering Product Junkie

PRE SHAMPOO TREATMENT– Coconut Oil + Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner
    SHAMPOO – Sof’nFree GroHealthy Nothing But Clarifying Shampoo (Monthly)
    CONDITIONER – Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner CoWash
    LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER – Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Shea Butter Leave-in (Curly to Kinky)
    SEALANT– Homemade Natural Butter Mix
    kathymack wrote: »
    I've been eying this for a while. I, too, noticed on the website that it could be used with looser curls. I'm very tempted to buy it. I guess if I do, I won't have any trouble selling some samples, LOL. My only problem is that I'm going away in three weeks for a long weekend. Wonder if I should wait.

Well, I ordered it today. Didn't want it to come while I was away. I'll post it in my samples when I get it.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I e-mailed them and didn't hear anything from them. I was hoping to get a sample. I think I might get one from you kathymack.
  • freshwaterpearlfreshwaterpearl Curl Neophyte Posts: 305Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I emailed them as well and they never replied. I'm interested in purchasing a sample from kathymack
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I REALLY liked this product! Its really creamy but not too heavy, and it works really well on wet or dry hair. It left my hair soft and shiney but with out the greases! I would imagine it would be perfect for styling childrens hair. I plan on reordering when I get back to DC.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I REALLY liked this product! Its really creamy but not too heavy, and it works really well on wet or dry hair. It left my hair soft and shiney but with out the greases! I would imagine it would be perfect for styling childrens hair. I plan on reordering when I get back to DC.

Thanks for the review. It sounds like what I'm looking for, but I just wish I could get it in a small bottle :dontknow:
    Well, I ordered it today. Didn't want it to come while I was away. I'll post it in my samples when I get it.

I did order it last week, but I'm not allowed to sell samples on the swap board anymore. I'm listing things in a "journal" on my fotki account. If people are interested, they may want to watch for it there--and pm me.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did order it last week, but I'm not allowed to sell samples on the swap board anymore. I'm listing things in a "journal" on my fotki account. If people are interested, they may want to watch for it there--and pm me.

That sucks why not? I'm going to wait till you put it on you fotki account. I really want to try this.
  • DivaGyrlDivaGyrl Posts: 84Registered Users
    I am at the end of my free sample and will definitely be ordering the half gallon. I love this stuff!
    Got it and my hair loves it! Nice tight, soft, bouncy curls!

Question. My bottle came sealed with tape. It wasn't filled all the way to to the top. I pack samples by weight--it only weighed about 53oz, including the bottle. Has this been others experience? Regardless, it's reasonably priced--you just have to buy so much. For any one whose interested in trying, I added it to my samples.

There was also a paper included that they changed the formula to a light pink, but all of the ingredients are the same.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How did you use it, Kathy? A rinse out or a small amount as a leave-in? What did you use over/under it? Can you compare it to any other products we may know? Thanks :)!
    How did you use it, Kathy? A rinse out or a small amount as a leave-in? What did you use over/under it? Can you compare it to any other products we may know? Thanks :)!

CGF, your hair likes and tolerates products (ingredients) a lot better then mine. I can't imagine you wouldn't love this one, too.

I've used it twice, as a leave in. It's really nice. I don't think that it's like any of the other products I use. My hair tolerates oils and heavier products really well. To put it succinctly, my hair loves many of the products that are designed for "coils." (it's on the literature that comes with this product)

I don't have a lot of hair, so if I use too much of the heavier products--it gets greasy. I've been experimenting with the new Komaza Califa line. I like them, but am not quite ready to review yet. I can only use one of the products at a time or it's too much. I can use more of this product without over doing it. I get the same tight, soft, bouncy curls. I'm really impressed. The literature has bolded that it's an non-oily formula.

Forgot to mention in above post, that the pH is 3.5. Paperwork that came with it says that it locks in your hair's pH. I'm thinking it would mean no ACV rinse after soap bar to restore pH???
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I wish I didn't like this product so much. I JUST got my second order--the one I put in on March 8! That's almost six weeks! At least my bottle is full this time. Since I didn't know what to expect, I didn't email about the fact that my first one was missing over 12oz. The pump no longer comes with it--which isn't that big a loss. My last one didn't work.

The saddest thing of all is that I'm thinking about reordering today, since it's almost half gone already. I went without it for a few weeks last time. Is this sad, or is this sad?
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Welllll....I don't really know what to make of this stuff. Thanks to KM for the bottle, first of all. I thought my hair would adore this based on the ingredients, and I also thought it would be wonderful once the high heat/humidity kick in down here since that's the time the heavier butters and puddings don't quite cut it for me. I've tried this four times as a leave-in so far under different stylers, minimal amount to start, increasing the puddle size each time. I also tried some on dry hair. Basically, I get nothing. It does not provide moisture, it does not detangle (no slip at all, really, even when I used it as a rinse-out first)-it feels like "nothing" when wet, although when I start to diffuse and just finish, my hair looks good. But just a little later in the day, my hair feels dry and rough (not sure how to describe it), and it also simultaneously feels producty. My hair still looks ok, but has dry, straight flyaways in some places. I haven't given up yet, though. I think I will try to cut some of my heavier products with this when the summer weather arrives. Maybe it will be a good balance. Today I went back to my AfroVeda NuMilk & CocoLatte under ORS L&T (with agave nectar, of course;))...the difference in moisture is incredible. My hair is also going through a give-me-as-much-moisture-as-possible phase, so I really wanted this to work in the worst way...:(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file