CurlTalk

Are there any white people with 4a hair?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
Just wondering.
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    Yes. There's a curly here named "Pacific Poppy" who has 3c hair, and she has two daughters with one having 3c and the other having 4a hair. The eldest one(w/ 4a hair) has curls tighter than most ladies that consider themselves 4a. And both she and her hubby are White.

She used to have links to her fotki and had her daughter's pics on the kiddie site, but I'm not sure if she does anymore.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

DC metro area
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    Oh God yes!

Just the other day I was in Cambridge, Mass and I saw this funky white boy with the BIGGEST 4a naturally blonde afro I've ever seen. He was so fly LOL :love10:

umm don't tell my hubby I said that LOL
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    Yeah, I've seen plenty of them. My own used to be almost that curly.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    auntnett wrote: »

Why did it change? Puberty? Age?

My cousin went from straight to curly. My mom had curly hair but now that she's older its straight. That's so weird how that happens.
    - Maria

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote: »
    auntnett wrote: »

Why did it change? Puberty? Age?

My cousin went from straight to curly. My mom had curly hair but now that she's older its straight. That's so weird how that happens.

Wasn't very curly as a child. Hit puberty and it went crazy curly and coarse. Now I'm nearing menopause and it's gotten straighter and finer the past 3-4 years. I knew pretty much how to deal with it very curly, now I've had to learn how, at times, to get it to curl more. Go figure?!? That's when I started really lurking around these boards.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    I've seen one white American person before. Her hair seemed to be a very frizzy 4a bordering on 4b. I also think it's a pretty common hairtype among white men in North Africa. When I lived in St. Louis, there were a lot of white women, usually American Jewish, with 3c, but very kinky hair. The texture was something that was usually only assoicated with people of dominant African descent. But as a kid, I realized that adult hair comes in all varieties, regardless of racial appearance. Interesting question. :-)
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I know a few, but none who comfortably accept it, unfortunately. One of them actually pulled up the area in front and cut it, leaving herself with stubble right above her forehead. It was a hideous thing to do to herself.

The other ruthlessly straightens, despite the dry, lifeless effect it gives and the less-than-flattering results. There is no reasoning with her on this subject.

The third always let hers be natural, but I havn't seen her in a long time. I hope she hasn't gone the way of th Almighty Straightening Iron. (BTW she was blonde, and IMO, her hair rocked.)
  • nikkidanniellnikkidanniell Posts: 235Registered Users
    OMGoodness... It's so funny you said this because I was at the car dealership two days ago and saw a female white mechanic who had kinkier hair than mine I was like :eek: I had never seen this before.. but then I was like if she has kinky hair why do white people ask so many questions about mine? :scratch:
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I've seen 3 or 4 white people with 4a hair, some course 4a and others silky 4a but kinky,coily, and curly nonetheless. For some reason they were all blonde which I thought was pretty cool. All of them had awesome hair.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • 9osZBehbi9osZBehbi Posts: 93Registered Users
    Si, I kno this one girl with super tight hair. Higher texture than mine. (Blonde) And found this picture idk where it was maybe here don't remember. Her hair is like a 3c/4a mix.

1074312299100_0091.jpg
  • mochalatta408mochalatta408 Posts: 214Registered Users
    Something really funny happened...I stepped into a cafe in LA and found my hair TWIN to be a white woman with brownish/blonde hair...lol. I walked into the place and we stared at each other speachless like...what?? how?? That was her natural hair too... We giggled about it and went our separate ways. I should have taken a picture...lol.
    3c/4a, thick cottony/silky little spiral curls. Loves moisture, hates cones...www.beijaflornaturals.com
  • svetikisvetiki Posts: 85Registered Users
    Of course. A lot of the white kids at my school with 4a hair usually have dark or red hair. But two years ago during soccer season, we were playing against some arts academy and there was this white dude with BIG, HUGE blonde 4a hair. It was the most awesome hair i've ever seen and he was so fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine! Mhmm:toothy6: I shouldv'e asked him for his number!

It was a bigger than this girls hair /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.blackhairmedia.com%2Fuploads%2Favatars%2F20080720_103655_afro.jpg" class="Popup
    3c/4a in the front, 4b in the back, with a few sprinkles of 3c in random spots.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmyspace.com%2Fkielyki" class="Popup
  • svetikisvetiki Posts: 85Registered Users
    carlos203.jpg

29zby0x.jpg

20afro_wideweb

The bottom kids aren't white, but they do have blonde 4a-ish hair

110lu8k.jpg

i7225d.jpg

Some folks even get perms to achieve 4a/4b tecture:

344tl4z.jpg
    3c/4a in the front, 4b in the back, with a few sprinkles of 3c in random spots.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmyspace.com%2Fkielyki" class="Popup
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    Svetki -- The woman (second picture) looks to have 3b or 3b/c hair that was brushed out more so than having 4b hair. Many people with 3 something hair who don't moisturize or brush hair when dry will end up with lots of frizz or an afro.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    There's a white girl in one of my textiles courses that has 3c/4a hair and on the 2nd week of school she finally asked me how I do my own hair and I directed her to this site. If you're on here, Cassie, HEYYYY!!!!

Also, my mom's best friend in middle school (back in the early 70s) had 4a/4b hair that she styled into a TWA. When I go home for Thanksgiving, I'll try to post her pics. She let it just be free and do whatever it wanted because she couldn't figure out how to properly care for it, and my mom told me she would put mayonnaise and water in her hair to style it!
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    There's a guy named Ben Jaffe, who looks white to me, but his mom is Black (dad White). They were jazz musicians in NOLA. He has a big, big fro...second from left obviously, maybe he's more 3c though?:

OO_PHJB.jpg

I knew a woman in college who was very pale, ID'd as White and had very light blond hair not unlike Ben Jaffe's in texture. She told me in her dorm room once that her family had some "negro" blood. I told her I could tell, but I'm not sure she liked that much.

Anywho, her use of the word "negro" always stuck with me (that was 17 years ago!). It was like she couldn't say "Black" for some reason.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    As my kids would say

Epic Fail
    29zby0x.jpg
    - Maria

• YuyuchanYuyuchan Posts: 84Registered Users
    I like all of the pictures that were shown. It shown how creative God is. :3
  • rnconniesfrnconniesf Posts: 256Registered Users
    I had 4a hair until 4 kids and menopause, not it's 3c with some 3b around the front. My youngest son is a 4a but he keeps his hair buzzed. A few of my cousins have 4a hair. We are a mix of Northern and Southern Italian and I always thought we got the 4a hair from the Southern Italians as they carry some African blood.
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    There are lots of people that identify as white that have 4a hair. I grew up in South Florida where there is an extermely large Jewish population and the term that was used then (i'm not sure if this is offensive so forgive me cause that's not my intent) was the "Jew 'Fro". Almost every Jewish person I knew as a kid had at LEAST 3c hair, with most having 3c-4aish and a few with stright up 4b hair. The crazy thing, is that a lot used to straighten thier hair just like we did. My grandmothers friend used to have a shop in her house, and a LOT of the ladies that came to her were Jewish.

Those that didn't straighten, usually fought thier hair, brushing it at night thinking that would make it sliky and straight, when all it did was make it a frizzy mess. I went to Curve salon for a consulation (formally Miss Jessies Salon) and was SHOCKED (well not totally) that a large portion (at least 40%) of her clientle were WHITE and/or JEWISH women.

Also, you have to remember that during slavery because of a lot of the mixing (forced and unforced) a lot of people escaped and "passed", which infused the african hair genes into the white population. You'd be hard pressed nowadays to find a white OR black person that doesn't have some mixture in the gene pool.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    I saw a White 4a today. A man.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    9osZBehbi wrote: »
    Si, I kno this one girl with super tight hair. Higher texture than mine. (Blonde) And found this picture idk where it was maybe here don't remember. Her hair is like a 3c/4a mix.

1074312299100_0091.jpg

this is exactly how my curls are just my hair is dark brown i wonder if shes mixed?
    my blog
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlygirlie85.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsophiams85.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CammybCammyb Posts: 576Registered Users
    There are lots of people that identify as white that have 4a hair. I grew up in South Florida where there is an extermely large Jewish population and the term that was used then (i'm not sure if this is offensive so forgive me cause that's not my intent) was the "Jew 'Fro". Almost every Jewish person I knew as a kid had at LEAST 3c hair, with most having 3c-4aish and a few with stright up 4b hair. The crazy thing, is that a lot used to straighten thier hair just like we did. My grandmothers friend used to have a shop in her house, and a LOT of the ladies that came to her were Jewish.

Those that didn't straighten, usually fought thier hair, brushing it at night thinking that would make it sliky and straight, when all it did was make it a frizzy mess. I went to Curve salon for a consulation (formally Miss Jessies Salon) and was SHOCKED (well not totally) that a large portion (at least 40%) of her clientle were WHITE and/or JEWISH women.

Also, you have to remember that during slavery because of a lot of the mixing (forced and unforced) a lot of people escaped and "passed", which infused the african hair genes into the white population. You'd be hard pressed nowadays to find a white OR black person that doesn't have some mixture in the gene pool.
    You make an excellent point...so true.
    uXBum4.png

"There’s just an certain aura a woman exudes when she has natural hair. She walks differently. Her swag is on full tilt. There’s a sense of confidence and je ne sais quoi that emanates from her spirit. Whatever it is it’s sexy as all hell and turns me on" -Anslem Samuel
    www.fotki.com/1cammyb
    www.piinkcamellias.blogspot.com
    www.youtube.com/1cammyb
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    Also, you have to remember that during slavery because of a lot of the mixing (forced and unforced) a lot of people escaped and "passed", which infused the african hair genes into the white population..

When I see white people with 4a hair, my first thought is "Someone's got a little soul in them" :)
  • krazykkrazyk Posts: 243Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote: »
    As my kids would say

Epic Fail
    29zby0x.jpg

XD I can't stop laughing lmao!
    :icescream:Confusion in the front/4a in the back and around the sides
    Transitioning Natural since March 2005
    Complete natural (Last of permed hair trimmed out) May 2008 (1 1/2 inches left)

Regimen:
    Co-Wash: (Anything on hand atm)
    Leave ins: Aussie Moist
    Shampoo: Aussie Moist (only if I end up using gel or something out of the ordinary)
    Keeping it krazy simple:toothy7:

My hair history:/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fphotobucket.com%2Fkris_journeyofhair" class="Popup
    Pw: krazyk
  • ToyToyToyToy Posts: 61Registered Users
    Yes, my blonde and blue-eyed German colleague :). IT's really cool, because the way we take care of our hair is very similar.
    natural (chemical-free) since November 2005
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Did anyone see 20/20 on Friday?

The kidney transplant had two very curlies. The husband of the woman who received the kidney had 4a hair. She also had very curly hair...looked to be a mix of 3c and 4a.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »
    Did anyone see 20/20 on Friday?

The kidney transplant had two very curlies. The husband of the woman who received the kidney had 4a hair. She also had very curly hair...looked to be a mix of 3c and 4a.

Ok so I don't feel bad anymore. I thought I was loosing it because the first thing I noticed about the women was their hair. Throughout the entire interview I was admiring her curls. And I kept thinking to myself hmm I work down the block from ABC maybe I will run into her and ask her about her regime for her curls. I am officially curl addicted.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

my sister says i have a jew 'fro. not cool.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    OO_PHJB.jpg

Anyone notice what Laura's hand is doing? Is she goosing him?:thumbleft: Go Laura!
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.