advice for most effective use of 15-20 minutes for exercise

beliciousbelicious Posts: 196Registered Users
I was jogging with my son in the jogging stroller a few times a week for 30-40 minutes, but he is 18 months now and does not want to sit in there so much anymore. I manage to jog for about 15 minutes on the way to the park even if that means jogging in place while waiting for my son to push his lawn mower toy along the way. I need to strength train too and I do better with DVD's. Do you have any recs for DVD's or any other recs that would help me get a strength train session in for 20 minutes or just use a 20 minute period most effectively? I have heard alot about kettlebells and pilates... Any opinions on those?
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
2C hair, thick and coarse and dry

Comments

• ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Jillian Michaels Shred DVD is just barely over 20 minutes for each of the three workouts on it. She combines weights and cardio. Probably pretty effective if you keep up with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can relate. I'm a mom so I have limited time to work out, most of the time I only have about 30 min.
    I try to alternate cardio and strength training on different days. For instance, Mon I might just run on the treadmill for 30 min and Wed I'll warm up on the treadmill for 5 min and then spend the next 15-20 min I have left doing some strength ex. I try to do exercises like squats, lunges, pushups that work a lot of muscles at once to make up for my limited time.

Do you have a bike? Another fun way I found to sneak in some exercise is by attaching a bike trailer to my bike. I bike with him to the park and he knows once we get there he gets to play so he absolutely loves sitting in it and enjoying the ride.
    It looks like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/InStep-Quick-Bike-Trailer-Black/dp/B000IORQ14/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1227302310&sr=8-1

I used it all the time this past spring and summer.
    The one I have holds up to 100lbs and you can seat 2 children in it.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    http://www.crossfit.com

The workouts (plus few minutes of stretching warm up) normally take 10-15 minutes, but you are pushing yourself hard and fast. Many of the workouts can be done at home with a few pieces of equipment- jump rope, hand weights, and you can use stairs/steps and basement beams for pullups (or a kid's playset).

the key is to do repeitions of several things for time- the goal is to get your heart going and to challenge your muscles.

PS- if you have digital cable, you should have exercise TV for free- there are several workouts you can follow if it helps to have that virtual trainer in front of you.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • raychieraychie Posts: 42Registered Users
    I looooove pilates. If you can stand Denise Austin, she has a great DVD- Pilates for Every Body. I like to jog a few times a week and try to fit in the pilates every once in a while. I hope you like it!
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    sdc wrote: »
    The Jillian Michaels Shred DVD is just barely over 20 minutes for each of the three workouts on it. She combines weights and cardio. Probably pretty effective if you keep up with it.

That's just what I was going to suggest. It's a tough workout and makes me sore the next day, but doesn't require too much time. On my cable TV, I can access it for free on Exercise TV. I don't have the DVD.
    ehLB.jpg
  • buffiebuffie Posts: 184Registered Users
    I use the P90-X DVDs from Beachbody. They are probably too long for your liking but there is a set of videos by the same producer called 10 Minute Trainer. It has cardio and weights. I like Tony Horton who is the trainer in both sets of videos. Check out www.beachbody.com for the sets.
    "How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?" - from a t-shirt my brother gave me years ago. I loved it!

Have discovered I cannot live without KCCC and plopping. Always knew that I was dependant on my diffuser.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like Pilates DVDs. They can really kick your butt! Denise Austin is obnoxious to listen to but her DVDs are good.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • CsaracCsarac Posts: 861Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sdc wrote: »

I didn't read through all the responses but I was going to suggest this. It will kick your butt and it's very effective. I use 3 lb weights to start (moving up to 5 lbs and it's still suprisingly hard) and did level 1 until I was totally comfortable with moving on. You will see a change in your body in a relatively short amount of time. I use it once or twice a week as my strength workout in addition to going to the gym as part of my routine (like for one month I do the 30 Day Shred as my weight workout and the next month I do the machines at the gym - just to trick my body and avoid bordem.) But you will see a change just with this on it's own - I used it with a walking DVD when I first started working out, before I joined the gym.

Be prepared, you WILL be sore at first. Good luck!
    HG: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (always and forever)
    Cantu Naturals s & c (shampoo 1x a week), use conditioner as a co-wash every day and LI under my gel.

Air dry then diffuse canapy layers only for volume
    Coconut oil before/after coloring grays and on ends.

2b/c mix waves/curls - coarse, frizz prone, med. thick, porous, at-home color, protein sensitive but I still need it sometimes, glycerin-sensitive (I think) in high humidity. After 16 years on NC.com I FINALLY figured it out..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file