time to potty train - recs please

beliciousbelicious Registered Users Posts: 196
It's time to try to potty train my 18 month old son. Any recs as far as potty chairs, potty books, or anything related to potty training?
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
2C hair, thick and coarse and dry

Comments

• sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    I'm trying to figure out when to potty train my son, who is 22 months. I would love to be finished with diapers (on him at least; I still have to change his baby brother). We've finally got him out of a crib and adjusted to a toddler bed, so I figure potty training is the next big transition he will face. I know that before 2 years old is on the early side. My son has grabbed his crotch and said, "Diaper!" a couple times when he needed to be changed, but other than that, he hasn't shown much awareness, so I wonder if it's too early.

No recommendations on potty chairs or books, but I'll be interested in what others say.
    ehLB.jpg
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Do you think he is ready or are you ready for him to be ready?

We had the most success with a potty seat that goes on top of the adult toilet. He used the baby potties as a place to store his toys.

The biggest tip I can give you is to drop diapers and pull ups completely once you are really ready to give it a go. Gerber makes some thick underpants that come with a plastic cover so that the mess is less when the little one has an accident.

Good luck!
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    We've tried a bunch of stuff. I think the most helpful thing was seeing me go to the bathroom. Better than any book or video.

I started Lucy at 18 months on a potty chair. She peed a few times, but it wasn't until she heard the pee pee in the toilet that she really got that she was doing the same thing I was doing when I was on the toilet.

That was a turning point and then she started using a seat on the toilet. I'm not sure what happened but she's back to the potty chair. I think she likes to see it. I don't really care where she goes as long as it's not in her pants.

She's pretty much trained during the day for pee pee, but we have some weird poop issues. She only poops when she naps, so it's almost impossible to train her. She can wear underwear all day, but I put her in a pull up for naps and bedtime. I don't know how to get her to poop when she's awake.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    My best advice is to not push your child!
    It does not work...g/l
    The first line in DA's post says it all, really...
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    Do you think he is ready or are you ready for him to be ready?

We had the most success with a potty seat that goes on top of the adult toilet. He used the baby potties as a place to store his toys.

The biggest tip I can give you is to drop diapers and pull ups completely once you are really ready to give it a go. Gerber makes some thick underpants that come with a plastic cover so that the mess is less when the little one has an accident.

Good luck!

ITA. especially with the bolded. Neither one of my boys became 100% potty trained until the diapers and pull ups where gone. When they were wearing pull-ups, they'd only go when I told them to go.

Oh and as far as boys and teaching them to pee standing up. IME it's easier and less messy for them to learn standing up ASAP. Those little splash guard things that come on potty seats are really inconvient and not helpful in the least. Both my boys had a hard time getting onto the potty seat by themselves because of it. And lets just say um, getting it in and out comfortably was very difficult if not impossible. After you get one, you'll quickly know what I mean.

In order for little boys to go potty sitting, they have to hold it down and/or lean forward to not miss the toilet. And that's a lot of steps for a little man who's just learning and might not get to the potty until the last second. Of all the steps in potty training this by far was the easiest. All it took after he started having sucess in potty training, was to watch DH do it once. Seriously, just once.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I personally think that as long as you don't push and realize your child will do it when ready, there is no such thing as 'too early' to expose them to the idea. Some kids like a seat on the big toilet, some kids like a small potty, so there is no one best type for everyone. Having the child watch you in the bathroom and explaining what you are doing is good at any age. And you can try sitting your kid on th potty. A good time is right after waking up. Just remember no pressure, don't expect results. If they go, praise them. If not have the attitude that it was good they sat and maybe they'll go next time.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • beliciousbelicious Registered Users Posts: 196
    I will try all that everyone has said here. I am not sure if he is ready or not. I figure I should at least have a potty for him to look at, get comfortable with, talk about, and go from there. I don't mind changing diapers. I just want to get the process going. He tells me when he has a poopie diaper, so that's one sign. And he is curious and asks questions when I am on the potty, but he is not all that interested still.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    My hair shrinks or expands according to the humidity and my hair products. ;)
    2C hair, thick and coarse and dry
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I have heard of people having good results from an Elmo potty-training video. If he's not ready, it probably won't work, but then you can just keep it for when he does show more interest.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    My daughter loves that Elmo DVD. It has some really cute songs, too. She isn't potty trained yet, but I'm thinking it's almost time. She always tells me when she's wet or poopy and she can hold it for several hours. I'm waiting until after the holidays, though, so I can devote the time to it and not fuss with it during travel.

Good luck!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Registered Users Posts: 736 Curl Novice
    if you can it is best to have a solid week with him at home (or very short trips out) where he can be in underwear only! They get confused if you go from undies to diapers or pull ups (sleep is different).we also petty trained brady by having him run around bottomless the first few days (Otherwise he'd pee right in the undies!) they are more aware of whats happening if they don't have pants on. (i think we only had to clean up pee messes on the floor less than 5 times!)
    good luck
    be patient and most of all CONSISTENT!
    HENNA HEAD
    3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
    CG since 3/08
    HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
    overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
    honey after leave-in
    satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
    USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
    ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
    http://public.fotki.com/misfitcurls/
    by: Riot Crrl!
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
  • misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Registered Users Posts: 736 Curl Novice
    oh and i almost forgot! we had a potty watch that would go off every 30 minutes (at first then every hour then every hour and a half) if he hears the timer or watch or alarm clock it is more helpful to get them in the bathroom (after a day or 2 the novelty of going potty wears off and they don't want to be interrupted and told to go do something that is not so fun)
    we also made up a sing to sing while on the potty chair and that helps to keep them there for a few minutes
    (if you want to know my song i will post it!)
    HENNA HEAD
    3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
    CG since 3/08
    HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
    overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
    honey after leave-in
    satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
    USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
    ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
    http://public.fotki.com/misfitcurls/
    by: Riot Crrl!
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Don't let them run around bottomless too long or that will backfire on you! :happy8::laughing5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file