Mixing my own DC...

A_la_Nap-turalA_la_Nap-tural Registered Users Posts: 409
Okay so I got a sample of Ojon from Sephora. I'm going to try it, but for $55, I bet I could whip something up just as good. I've been doing a lot of research and I think I know what would work with my hair.

I'm thinking of mixing the following:

Macadamia nut butter or Coffee bean butter (purely for the smell, I love it. I know that's sad, but the mac-nut butter doesn't clog pores and the coffee bean butter promotes moisture retention, maybe i'll use a little of both... hmmm.....)
Yogurt powder
Coconut oil
Watermelon seed oil

Apply, use wide tooth comb to detangle, and leave in for 20 minutes, like Ojon. Maybe apply a shower cap and a hot towell over it to intensify.

Anything listed that you think is a no-no, or is there anything in the list that won't mix with another?

Then poo with CV shampoo bar cafe moreno or rosemary mint.

Then rinse out condish mixed with protein (mega-tek salve)

Then leave in condish mixing mega-tek rebuilder cream with some other conditioning agent that I have yet to discover. Maybe a little of my rinse out condish, water, and mega-tek cream rebuilder.

Finally sealing application of avocado oil, it's my fave!

What do ya think... I would co-wash about 2x a week, washing only when I DC. And apply I'm about to rock a perm rod style, no protective styles for me, as my hair just isn't long enough, and I've still got some straight, permed pieces. I know keeping the moisture content up is key since my hair will be out. Open to suggestions to tweak my recipe! Thanks in advance. :bunny:
www.thenaturalknowitall.com

www.mixology101.ning.com
I'm luvin' my natural self FIRST! :love7:

"And if you don't want to be down with me, you don't want to pick from my appletree."-Erykah Badu

event.png

Comments

• ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Registered Users Posts: 351
    Oh yum, where do you get macadamia nut butter? I had some oil, it smelled nice and was good for my hair. I even got compliments :D
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Registered Users Posts: 671
    That looks good, I would only add whatever works for you. Glycerin? Honey? Aloe Vera? Whatever works for you. I use a homeade conditioner that is similar, I don't even rinse it out, but I have really dry hair.

I do have a DT that costs $20 and I love it, but $55? Whatever.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Macadamia nut butter or Coffee bean butter (purely for the smell, I love it. I know that's sad, but the mac-nut butter doesn't clog pores and the coffee bean butter promotes moisture retention, maybe i'll use a little of both... hmmm.....)
    Yogurt powder
    Coconut oil
    Watermelon seed oil

Sounds like it would work very well. I would add a little honey and maybe a tbs of ACV
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • A_la_Nap-turalA_la_Nap-tural Registered Users Posts: 409
    Oh yum, where do you get macadamia nut butter? I had some oil, it smelled nice and was good for my hair. I even got compliments :D

I get it here.

After further research, I'm thinking yogurt would be best in the food form rather than the powder. That would take care of the acidity instead of ACV, but honey may still be good to add. Hmmmm....
    www.thenaturalknowitall.com

www.mixology101.ning.com
    I'm luvin' my natural self FIRST! :love7:

"And if you don't want to be down with me, you don't want to pick from my appletree."-Erykah Badu

event.png

• breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
    Might you want to substitute regular (creamy) yogurt to the powdered yogurt? I'm thinking this will aid in easier mixing and application.

Either way, that sounds like an awesome deep conditioner! The lactic acid, from what I've read, in yogurt will help all the vitamin and nutrient goodies seep into the shaft of the hair.
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
    oops....just saw you already noticed what I noticed. I didn't read all the way through, lol

anywho, let us know how it turned out!
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • followmeskyfollowmesky Registered Users Posts: 287
    I know - old posting but I did a search on OJON and this came up. How did this work out? Was it worth it vs OJON? How would you compare it?

Curious here.. ! lol
    3b/C with nicer curls on the bottom!
    Hair: naturally very dry and VERY porous
    hair seems to be moody.
    Does not seem to like oils
    Does not like protein or too much?
    Does not like rich products

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.
  • mochalatta408mochalatta408 Registered Users Posts: 214 Curl Neophyte
    This mixture sounds super-luxurious! I really don't think you could go wrong. I would only ditto the real yogurt v. powder yogurt idea and I would try to work some over-ripe avocados in there. I LOVE avacodos for homemade DTs, they don't smell good but they make my hair soft and shiny.
    3c/4a, thick cottony/silky little spiral curls. Loves moisture, hates cones...www.beijaflornaturals.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file