My baby slept for 13 hours straight!

SimbathekatSimbathekat Registered Users Posts: 140
Ok, I know my DD sleeps a great chunk through the night (i.e. goes to sleep at 8:30PM, awakens at 7:30-8:30AM), but last night she slept from 10:00PM - 1:00PM!!

I called the doctor and I'm waiting for more info, but she's only 2 months. While it was nice to get up and shower, eat breakfast myself and get some casual activities done ... I'm concerned. Plus yesterday, she had two, three hour long naps while I played a Baby Einstein lullaby CD. Maybe the CD did something to her!!!! :disgust: Anyway, she ate when she woke up today - stayed up until about 3:30 and went back to sleep (and has been so for about an hour and 15 minutes now).

Has anyone gone through this before?

Comments

• sundaysunday Registered Users Posts: 535
    No, I haven't gone through this before, but I would very much like to! I'm going to have to get one of those CDs.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • SimbathekatSimbathekat Registered Users Posts: 140
    Well I spoke to the doctor and he did want to see DD just to make sure everything was ok, since she's so young. But I told him that she was very responsive upon waking, smiling and cooing as usual. So the doc said to keep an eye on her, and wake her for a feeding if she seems to be slipping into an infinite sleep cycle.

She went to sleep at 10PM last night and it's going on 8AM now. So I'll probably wake her in a few minutes.

On another note, the CD works like a charm. After about four songs are played, she's fast asleep.
  • va_candiva_candi Registered Users Posts: 849
    I hope everything is alright. If it's any consolation, my mother frequently talks about how I always needed 12 hours of sleep, even as a baby. :sleepy1:
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,904
    Obviously keep an eye on her to make sure she is okay, but I honestly would just enjoy it. While my daughter wasn't sleeping 13 hours, she was sleeping 10-12 hours a night at 3 months. I didn't really think anything was wrong as she was doing everything your daughter is doing upon waking. You posted a little while ago that you are putting her on her stomach to sleep, right? Lilly also sleeps on her stomach. She goes right to sleep when her little legs are tucked underneath her and her arms are beside her cheeks. I say to enjoy it now, because Lilly is almost 6 months old and she is teething. Sleeping all night has gone down to waking her every couple of hours. So not fun...
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • DelmaDelma Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    I wish Izzy would sleep like this once in a while the longest he's ever slept is 4 hours.

• cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Is this a magic CD? Would it work on a baby who's almost 6 months old with terrible sleep patterns?

Seriously, though, I would just enjoy it.
    cosmicfly wrote: »
    Is this a magic CD? Would it work on a baby who's almost 6 months old with terrible sleep patterns?

Seriously, though, I would just enjoy it.

Cosmicfly, our kids are just days apart in age. We don't have a cd, but we do use a white noise machine. Our nightly routine is as follows: feed baby, put her down on her stomach to sleep, pacifier in mouth, machine on "ocean", and pat her back if she is having trouble falling asleep. I think we might be going back to sleeping all night. She only woke up once two nights ago and then not at all last night. I hope...
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    That is just not normal, but great she is fine. Do you think she may be going through a growth spurt?
    My kids don't sleep, I am jealous.
    is it really safe to be letting the babies sleep on their tummys?

Delma wrote: »
    is it really safe to be letting the babies sleep on their tummys?

Yes, I believe it is as long as you are smart about it. My kid hated being on her back as a newborn. Even being swaddled didn't keep her asleep for more than a hour and a half at a time. She only tolerates being on her back for just a little bit now that she can roll over. She is a stomach baby.

We do everything in the back-to-sleep campaign except for putting her on her back. We don't smoke, we keep the room cool, she has a firm surface to sleep on, nothing in there but her and her machine, etc. She had good neck control in the beginning and now has excellent control. I watched her during nap times during the day and I made a smart educated decision that has let us all get some sleep (most of the time).

I actually started this thread when my daughter was about 3.5 weeks old about sleeping on her stomach...
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=48577&highlight=tummy+time+sleeping
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
    Fiery,

Our babies sound identical. Yes, I do have Jonna sleeping on her tummy and for the same reasons you decided to put your daughter on her stomach. Additionally, her neck/head control was/is outstanding - everyone commented on it including the doctor who was blown away. She sleeps alongside our bed so we frequently keep an eye on her.

I don't know if she's going through a growth spurt, but it's nice to think that's why she slept for so long.

Cosmic: It wouldn't hurt to try the CD or a white noise machine. I've been using the CD for both nap time and bedtime, and again - it's like a switch is turned off in my daughter.

Delma: Maybe when Izzy goes to sleep for a nap (and you're awake to be beside him), turn him onto his belly and see how long he naps for. I know there was a thread in which the women were debating SIDs being caused by tummy sleeping, and I've always believed that if death was caused by a child's face being stuck on the mattress, then it would be ruled as "suffocation" instead of a general "sudden infant death". And remember back in the 80s (or earlier) where it was actually advised for babies to sleep on their stomachs, so they wouldn't choke on their spit-up while napping?
    Thanks ladies I really appreciate the info,if I can just convince the SO . He's a little nervous about letting Izzy sleep on his tummy due to the fact that he had a sister who died of SIDS.

• cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    He sleeps on his tummy with a fan going in lieu of a white noise machine. Won't always take the paci though I wish he would as I'm pretty sure he's waking to suck and not to feed. When he was new, he slept for 4 hour stretches, I had hoped he would continue or exapnd those, not make them smaller. I've tried cosleeping, not cosleeping. Sometimes, I can pat him on is back and he'll go back to sleep for a while, sometimes not. My first son was not a good sleeper either. My daughter on the other hand got no special treatment, no fan, no music, no paci, and she slept a 6 hour stretch from the beginning. Oh well, as much as I want some sleep, I am trying to enjoy this time as Aidan is probably my last baby.
  • MarllonMarllon Registered Users Posts: 104
    I think your baby is fine.

I'm nineteen, not a baby, but there was day last year where I slept for nineteen and a half hours straight, nothing was wrong with me, I was just very fatigue. So, I don't think a baby sleeping for thirteen hours straight is anything to be that alarmed about.
    3a/3b
    Unsure about density
    Confused about porosity

Co-wash/condition: Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks

Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner

Styling product: Clairol Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl-Boosting Mousse
  • MarllonMarllon Registered Users Posts: 104
    Okay, I just noticed how old this thread is. Looks like my comment is moot, since you most likely figured this all out already. My bad!
    3a/3b
    Unsure about density
    Confused about porosity

Co-wash/condition: Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks

Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner

Styling product: Clairol Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl-Boosting Mousse
    haha! It's ok.
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Registered Users Posts: 485
    Ok, I know this thread is very old, but isn't 10pm till 1pm 15 hours of sleep?

(btw...I really wish we were still in the year 2008 when this was first posted since this year has really SUCKED for me...I'd give almost anything to go back in time and do things right...)
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Ah, Paula, I think most of us would agree that this year has been the suck! I'm hoping for a turn around soon...
    What would you change?
    Ah, Paula, I think most of us would agree that this year has been the suck! I'm hoping for a turn around soon...
    What would you change?

I would change everything I've done this year that had to do with my ex (I'm sure you remember my post re: "Deadbeat father..."). If I could go back in time, I wouldn't even look at his myspace profile to upset myself and b*tch at him after finding out. And, I wouldn't have even let him come visit our daughter in January and introduce the daughter in his custody to ours.

BTW, he lives in Texas now and I'm still stuck behind in Cali patiently awaiting for the UIFSA (interstate child support enforcement) to kick in. Don't you live in Texas yourself?
    Paula wrote: »
    What would you change?

I would change everything I've done this year that had to do with my ex (I'm sure you remember my post re: "Deadbeat father..."). If I could go back in time, I wouldn't even look at his myspace profile to upset myself and b*tch at him after finding out. And, I wouldn't have even let him come visit our daughter in January and introduce the daughter in his custody to ours.

BTW, he lives in Texas now and I'm still stuck behind in Cali patiently awaiting for the UIFSA (interstate child support enforcement) to kick in. Don't you live in Texas yourself?
    Ah, yes...well, now you know what not to do, right? :)

Yes, it will take patience...lots & lots of patience, just hang in there tho..

Yep, I'm in Tejas...apparently folks love to come here when they run... :rolleyes:

Tho, have no fear, it will catch up to him, just a matter of time...
    Ah, yes...well, now you know what not to do, right? :)

Yes, it will take patience...lots & lots of patience, just hang in there tho..

Yep, I'm in Tejas...apparently folks love to come here when they run... :rolleyes:

Tho, have no fear, it will catch up to him, just a matter of time...

It might just catch up with him sooner than he would imagine. When they say "Don't mess with Texas," they're not kidding. Child support in your state only gives the absent parent 3 months to fall delinquent before enforcing a penalty. He's already behind by one month and is about to get his first delinquency notice. I'm not sure what kind of penalty they will actually enforce if he's trying hard enough to look for work though. Grrr....I still to this day am ticked off at that mother of his and I feel she and her whole family have absolutely no class. I take tranquilizers and anti-depressants every now & then to try not to think about it.

BTW....is that you and your hubby in your avatar?
    Paula wrote: »
    It might just catch up with him sooner than he would imagine. When they say "Don't mess with Texas," they're not kidding. Child support in your state only gives the absent parent 3 months to fall delinquent before enforcing a penalty. He's already behind by one month and is about to get his first delinquency notice. I'm not sure what kind of penalty they will actually enforce if he's trying hard enough to look for work though. Grrr....I still to this day am ticked off at that mother of his and I feel she and her whole family have absolutely no class. I take tranquilizers and anti-depressants every now & then to try not to think about it.

BTW....is that you and your hubby in your avatar?
    Yes, gotta love the Don't Mess w/ Tejas, right? :glasses2:

Jail might be something he might think about & yeah, he sounds like a GP & that is tough, as well.

Just remember you can't do anything about how scummy they are, but you can do something about how you react. I know it's hard. As I'm sure you remember, my GP has made a mess of things & my folks...all of us are wrapped up/involved in this mess & I hate it so! My heart breaks for my folks. They should not have to be dealing w/ this at their age...sucks, really...but I digress...

Just remember take care of yourself for your little one. You have to do right by her. She is innocently involved in all of this & I know how tough it can be.

Yep, it is! lol That is a fave pic of mine. What, only 8 years in the making to reveal ole wile e, eh? :alien:
    Yes, gotta love the Don't Mess w/ Tejas, right? :glasses2:

Jail might be something he might think about & yeah, he sounds like a GP & that is tough, as well.

Just remember you can't do anything about how scummy they are, but you can do something about how you react. I know it's hard. As I'm sure you remember, my GP has made a mess of things & my folks...all of us are wrapped up/involved in this mess & I hate it so! My heart breaks for my folks. They should not have to be dealing w/ this at their age...sucks, really...but I digress...

Just remember take care of yourself for your little one. You have to do right by her. She is innocently involved in all of this & I know how tough it can be.

Yep, it is! lol That is a fave pic of mine. What, only 8 years in the making to reveal ole wile e, eh? :alien:

Wow...I hate to admit I would take pleasure in Karma truly hitting him, but I'm not lucky enough to learn of him landing in jail. Of course, since I need for him to pay child support, that wouldn't do me any good unless of course I win the lottery. I just wish he would get his own little jail cell to think about what an a$$ he is.

OK...we'll have to talk more via PM soon....that is, if you don't mind filling me in on what your folks have been though regarding your past situation.

Hmmm...I think I've actually seen a pic of you before, but it's been a while since you revealed yourself. I clearly remember that you have long curly brown hair. Hmmm, that narrows it down, lol.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file