Brand New To This... I NEED HELP!!

curly_nursecurly_nurse Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello all. I am a 26 year old African American female starting out on this natural journey. I'm thinking that I'm a 3b. My last relaxer was just in September 2008, but I already have about 1/2 inch of new growth. I've been getting relaxers since I was about 6 or 7 years old I'm thinking that the BC will be in about 6 months to a year. So far, I've just been rinsing my hair everyday, adding a leave in conditioner and curl creme and letting it air dry so that it's kind of wavy/curly. I'm open to any suggestions that anyone may have because I know that I'm going to need all the help that I can get. I'm ready for the new, natural me. Anything that might help, I'm open to hear it!
Another Me There Never Can Be...:afro:

Comments

• Jaguar PawJaguar Paw Registered Users Posts: 199
    Hi! And welcome to the board and to your natural hair journey! I recently relaxed after 6 years of being natural in October and lo and behold I am transitioning again, so you and I are kinda on the same track.

I must ask, why are you manipulating your hair daily? IMHO this is the most fragile time for your hair with the demarcation line and all. If I were you, I would minimize the rinsing to every 3 days. Your hair should still be moisturized pretty well with the creams and leave-ins you're using? (They aren't protein containing, right?)

How are you treating your newgrowth? I know so many women who transition but don't touch the new growth in fear of damage or because it's 'unbearable' to them. This is the worst thing you can do. The new growth needs some manipulation AND moisture. When I first transitioned, I used to wash my hair, condition then as it was still wet, I would section my hair thinly and apply hair creams to my new growth with an applicator brush. This really helped my transition.

• Black Hoya ChickBlack Hoya Chick Registered Users Posts: 185
    Hi! I have been transitioning for 8 months and would be happy to help..any specific questions?

In general, the less manipulation the better, cowashing = amazing, and keep that demarcation line MOISTURIZED. Also, trying products out is good to see what works for you but DO NOT try everything everyone says works for them...you will become a PJ (product junkie) lol. Good luck and I HTH =)
    Kinky Curly Knot Today = :love5:
    Philippians 1:3

Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nigerian-Princess/about/

Current: Natural 3C/4A BSL; Long Term Goal: WL
    34pluo8.jpg
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Welcome. 3 words -- frequent deep treatments.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file