I never did a BC--Is That Wrong?

AuNaturaleAuNaturale Registered Users Posts: 61
Hello All (and I apologize, in advance, for the long post),

I am fairly new to the natural hair boards and, prior to me joining them, I was not familiar with the concept of doing a BC when transitioning to natural. Here is part of my hair history, which will hopefully explain my ignorance.

I have very curly hair that is a 3b/3c mix (well, that's my best guess from the charts I've seen online...I have at least two textures on my head). However, growing up, I didn't realize how curly my hair actually was because my mother typically combed out my hair out and pulled into a bun or ponytail. When I took over doing my own hair, I just copied what she did. I didn't know I had actual defined curls until much later down the road.

Anyway, growing up, I was dying to have straight hair that would last longer than when pressed with a hot comb (which would only be for a day, lol). My mother told me the only way to achieve that look is to get a relaxer which she would not permit until I started high school. (In retrospect, I wish she never would have given in to me. )

Once I started getting relaxers, my hair would be bone straight, but the relaxers never lasted very long. I did not wash and straighten my hair regularly, so I never kept a straight look for very long. It would only take about a month or so before my entire head (roots included) would revert back to its normal state. At that point, I would go back to slathering grease on it and pulling it back into a bun. Over time, I noticed that relaxers only slightly altered my curl pattern by making them a little looser...but, other than that, my hair was pretty much the same. By the time new growth started to emerge, my hair was no longer straight anyway. I never saw a difference, or line of demarcation, between my new growth and my relaxed hair. In fact, my hair dresser was always baffled because whenever she gave me a relaxer, she wouldn't just apply chemicals to my new growth, she'd apply it to my whole head. When she washed the chemicals out, my hair would still be curly...it drove her crazy. If my hair was in humid weather, exosed to water, or if I sweat, it would not revert as quickly and dramatically as it would if I didn't have a relaxer, but there wasn't much of a difference. Consequently, I only saw relaxers as a temporary fix and I only got them sparingly (once, maybe twice, a year).

To make a VERY long hair story short, I got my last relaxer in January 2006 and decided to just wear my natural hair. I didn't do any research, and it never occurred to me cut off my "relaxed ends" because, quite frankly, I didn't see any. I didn't have curly new growth and then straight ends...once I wet my hair it was all curly. My "transition" was to just stop getting relaxers and wear wash n' go's. That's all I thought I needed to do. My concern now is making my hair grow because it has been the same length for years. I never had a hair regimen before and I didn't discover the importance of having one to maintain healthy hair until I joined a hair board in September. That's when I first read about doing BC's. I had no idea!

Over the past few months, I've done more research and I've learned all the mistakes I made over the years that damaged my hair and likely stunted growth. In the past month, I've made major changes and I'm experimenting with a hair regimen...my hair feels better already! But the more I think about it, I wonder if I did something wrong by not doing a BC? Will the fact that I didn't do a BC hinder my hair growth? Did anyone else have this experience?

Thanks for reading!

What do I love about my hair? It does such cool things!!

Comments

• afrikurlafrikurl Registered Users Posts: 736
    Let me start off by saying that I'm a 4a and I have a patch of 3c in the front and on my crown. When I used to relax, that part, especially in the front would curl( but be more defined than when natural)too. I did have a roommate in college who is biracial. Her curl type is more similiar to yours. She had a perm but you couldn't tell when her hair was wet either. I say this to say that it may be fairly common. The whole idea of BCing is to rid yourself of two different textures which you didn't have. I say don't stress yourself out about it. I also joined the boards in Sept and my hair has never been happier, you will see your growth soon.
  • AuNaturaleAuNaturale Registered Users Posts: 61
    Hi Afrikurl,

First, thank you so much for taking the time to read my post (I know it was long) and to reply. You've made me take a sigh of relief. In all the boards I've read, I haven't come across anyone with a similar experience, so I just wasn't sure. I'm glad to know that perhaps it's more common than I thought.

Thanks, again!

• mixededmixeded Registered Users Posts: 381
    My sister's hair was like that. Her hair never really took to the relaxer, so it never completely lost the curl pattern, just sort of put a damper on it. She never did a BC either, just grew her hair out and forced it to curl by other means during her transition. I think my sis and I are both 3c-ish, but my hair was always bone straight and I have a clear demarcation line. I think it depends on the chemical composition of your hair strands. Some just have an easier time taking on the "chemical fire cream". :)
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
  • zetaladyzetalady Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hi! Im a newby also and I am so glad that you posted this thread b/c my hair is exactly like yours (the frizzy hair in humid weather, the hair stylist applying relaxer all over and my hair STILL remaining curly)! I wear my hair curly all the time now and I have not had a relaxer in a while. I dont want to BC either though! Im so glad i found this thread and this website!
  • empressriempressri Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    I never did either. I grew out my hair a lot and then this August I cut off a lot of hair. You have to do whatever works for you!

But the two textures kept annoying me to no end so I finally said the hell with it and cut my hair lol.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
    mixeded wrote: »
    I think it depends on the chemical composition of your hair strands. Some just have an easier time taking on the "chemical fire cream". :)

You know, this is a really good point. What made me panic about not doing a BC is that I was reading posts from so many women with hair types similar to mine who would did a BC. That really confused me because I thought that if two people have the same hair type, then their hair will also have the same characterisitics and will respond to products and chemical treatment in the same fashion. I presumed that women BC to get rid of the relaxed ends since it's not good to have the two textures. In my ignorance, I thought that if I didn't have that issue then women with a similar hair type wouldn't either. I never thought about the chemical composition of hair...which would explain the saying "no two heads" are alike. I guess that's applicable even with people who have similar hair types. Mixeded, you just made me have an "A HA" moment :sign7:!

zetalady wrote: »
    Hi! Im a newby also and I am so glad that you posted this thread b/c my hair is exactly like yours (the frizzy hair in humid weather, the hair stylist applying relaxer all over and my hair STILL remaining curly)! I wear my hair curly all the time now and I have not had a relaxer in a while. I dont want to BC either though! Im so glad i found this thread and this website!

Hi Zetalady! Thanks for your reply and I'm so glad you found the post helpful! Most of all, I'm glad to find others out here who have had a similar experience with their hair. Mixeded made an excellent point about the difference in the chemical composition of hair, so it looks like you'll be fine not doing a BC.

empressri wrote: »
    I never did either. I grew out my hair a lot and then this August I cut off a lot of hair. You have to do whatever works for you!

But the two textures kept annoying me to no end so I finally said the hell with it and cut my hair lol.

Hi empressi! Thanks for your response! I've seen quite a few of your youtube videos. Isn't that SheaMoisture Leave-in the best?!!

• mixededmixeded Registered Users Posts: 381
    AuNaturale wrote: »
    mixeded wrote: »
    I think it depends on the chemical composition of your hair strands. Some just have an easier time taking on the "chemical fire cream". :)

You know, this is a really good point. What made me panic about not doing a BC is that I was reading posts from so many women with hair types similar to mine who would did a BC. That really confused me because I thought that if two people have the same hair type, then their hair will also have the same characterisitics and will respond to products and chemical treatment in the same fashion. I presumed that women BC to get rid of the relaxed ends since it's not good to have the two textures. In my ignorance, I thought that if I didn't have that issue then women with a similar hair type wouldn't either. I never thought about the chemical composition of hair...which would explain the saying "no two heads" are alike. I guess that's applicable even with people who have similar hair types. Mixeded, you just made me have an "A HA" moment :sign7:!

Haha! Well I'm no scientist, so I can't be too sure, but it makes sense to me. I see the same variation with skin types, like not all oily skin types develop pimples. It has to do with a unique blend of environment, nutrition, genetics, you name it!
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
    lol...well, you may not be a scientist, but you make a good point, nonetheless. There are variations in skin types that cause different reactions to environment, nutrition, genetics, etc. Skin definitely has a chemical composition, so why would hair be any different? It makes sense to me too. :color:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file