My first fine lines!

oingo-sproingooingo-sproingo Posts: 144Registered Users
Hi everyone, well, the inevitable has happened and I'm starting to see the very first tiny traces of fine lines on my face. I'm 26 and could easily pass for 16 -- while that's been annoying at times, I'd sort of like to keep it that way! :)

I notice that I have just a few teeny tiny laugh lines by my mouth when I wake up in the morning; the odd thing is that they disappear as the day continues. I also notice that if my skin is a bit dry, I have a couple lines that will appear on my forehead.

Any suggestions for a beginning creme that I might start to use? I have absolutely no lines or wrinkles around my eyes, so I'm not interested in a specialty eye creme, just something to prevent those lines by my mouth from increasing quickly.
Formerly agk

*All 2s and 3A (hair has been wonky lately)
*Currently enjoying Elucence MBC, Abba Nourishing, Giovanni Vitapro, Abba Gel-Lotion, Redken Spin Control

Comments

• ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    No, but I can't wait to hear the responses!
  • BlondieCurlBlondieCurl Posts: 108Registered Users
    I hear you. I'm 32 and dealing with the same thing. I just read about this in a magazine. (Sorry, can't remember which one.) It basically said there are two schools of thought when it comes to anti-aging. One, says Retinol is the gold standard. Hedge your bets on this stuff. The other says vitamin C is the way to go, but doesn't work on everyone and there's not really anyway to tell if you're a vitamin C person or not.

Personally, I tried Retinol. It wasn't bad, but it seemed that after awhile my skin looked rougher and somehow worn out. (Roc is suppposed to be really good.) I've had really good results with vitamin C. My skin looked brighter and felt smoother. I use Philosophy Hope in a Jar with the Philosophy vitamin C powder. I've also used Neutrogena Healthy Skin Moisturizer.

You might try one for a month or so and just see what kind of results you get. More than anything sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!! The new Neutrogena SPF 55 Sheer Sunblock is really good. Moisturizing, but not greasy and won't break your face out. HTH!
    Somewhere between a 2-3a, Currently loving Innersense Quiet Calm Curl control cocktailed with L'Oreal Melting Gel.
  • mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    I'm going thru the same thing- no wrinkles/crinkles anywhere except that the laugh lines around my mouth are the only things that are becoming more pronounced even though I have oily skin. (I guess I laugh too much). I must remember to put sunscreen on. The question is which one won't make me look oilier?
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • Velvetmug22Velvetmug22 Posts: 409Registered Users
    Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin Moisterizer is the best moisterizer I have ever used. It's light and moisterizing. also, Sunblock is key. Use at least 50 spf.
    Short 4A Hair.
  • oingo-sproingooingo-sproingo Posts: 144Registered Users
    Blondie -- do you mean hope in a jar, or hope in a tube? I went to the Philosophy counter yesterday and they recommended hope in a tube. I've used hope in a jar before, that's just a regular moisturizer.

I already moisturize my skin well, but I'm looking for a specialty creme on top of that. The Oil of Olay stuff is way too light for my skin, as far as moisturizers go. My regular moisturizer is SPF 15 -- I have dark skin and am not terribly concerned with sun exposure. I have done a lot of research (as in, actual laboratory research) on protection offered by different SPFs, and I think that using anything above 30, for my skin is actually excessive. Being dry/not drinking enough water are my bigger problems. My physician friends said they'd hook me up with free Retinol; thinking about taking them up on that.
    Formerly agk

*Currently enjoying Elucence MBC, Abba Nourishing, Giovanni Vitapro, Abba Gel-Lotion, Redken Spin Control
  • Velvetmug22Velvetmug22 Posts: 409Registered Users
    Oingo wrote:
    I have dark skin and am not terribly concerned with sun exposure. I have done a lot of research (as in, actual laboratory research) on protection offered by different SPFs, and I think that using anything above 30, for my skin is actually excessive.

I should have been more specific. My skin is extremely light, despite being half African American. My dermatologist recommended SPF 50, as a way to avoid sunburns and premature aging. That's what I have been using for a long time now and I don't have a single line on my face. Perhaps because I am so light and you have dark skin, I need a stronger sunblock. My cousin who is dark skinned uses Ambi. Have you ever tried that?
    Short 4A Hair.
    GabbyC wrote:

I should have been more specific. My skin is extremely light, despite being half African American. My dermatologist recommended SPF 50, as a way to avoid sunburns and premature aging. That's what I have been using for a long time now and I don't have a single line on my face. Perhaps because I am so light and you have dark skin, I need a stronger sunblock. My cousin who is dark skinned uses Ambi. Have you ever tried that?

Gotcha. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that sun exposure isn't a huge issue for me ... I have great genes working in my favor too :) I've never heard of Ambi -- is it a brand? Do they have a cream for wrinkles/fine lines?
    Formerly agk

• briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    Im a nurse in a dermatology office...so I know a little bit about this stuff :D
    For fine lines and wrinkles I would go to a dermatologist or even your primary care and ask them for a prescription of Retin-A. This is is the best medication you can use for those fine lines...it also helps with clogged pores..reduces sun damage. It does a whole lot for your skin over a long period of time. Problem is insurance wont usually cover it because they consider it cosmetic...its about $75 for a tube...but it will last forever because when you use it you literally use a pea-sized amount to cover your entire face.
    Retin-A along with a daily moisturizer with sunscreen is sooo important...get into the habit of putting sunscreen on your face EVERY morning.
    In the long run this will do wonders for your skin :D
    .png
    Is Retin-A drying to the skin? I already have fairly dry skin!
    Formerly agk

• briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    Is Retin-A drying to the skin? I already have fairly dry skin!

It can be drying...but when you first start to use it you start off slow...like 2 nights a week and gradually work your way up to using it every night...this way you dont get alot of irritation and some people dont get any at all. Some people will get a little dry in the beginning but eventually your skin does get used to it.
    .png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file